1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ikea's Minimum Wage Hike Was So Successful, It's Raising Wages Again

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Crabtownboy, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, isn't this interesting?

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

OK - So of COURSE there is a benefit to the employee and they will have less turn-over and happier employees. Pay me more than I make now doing graphics and computer work to pack out products and run a cash register (less responsibility, not much need for thinking or skill) and I'll also stay on and be happy.

Now what has it done to their bottom line?

3. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right, annsi, this is a matter of a private company deciding to pay more. It's not like some minimum wage mandated by the government.

IKEA can figure out how much to pay their workers that's affordable and won't affect quality of the product. It is hard to automate this sector of the customer service industry, who wants robots showing you furniture?

4. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Glad to see capitalism works!

If the government raised min. wage across the board, it would't have the same effect.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    From Crabs Link " as determined by the MIT Living Wage Calculator, which takes into account the local cost of rent, food, transportation and the like"

and then as the economy of local communty gets better, they will see increases in the cost of rent, food, transporation, and the like. Which will mean another round of raises for the company.....

6. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ikea has 9499 employees in the US. Managers make an average of $57,268. Full-time retail workers make an average of $18,300.

Net profit for the giant Sweden-based home furnishings retailer grew 9% to 3.1 billion euros ($4.2 billion), the company said. While the company didn't disclose U.S. sales in dollars, an official said they accounted for 12% of global sales, which would be around $4.4 billion.

Wow, at least $10.00 an hour starting next January. I think they should get a medal or something.