1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I'm beginning to think...

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Mexdeaf, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

But we don't want Obama re-elected, so don't we need to vote to help prevent that from happening?

2. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Amen, my friend. Change of the country by Gospel power, not enforcement at the barrel of a gun. The Church needs to hit the proverbial (and actual) streets.

3. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Help prevent it by voting for someone who is decidedly different, yes. Not just, because of our idolatry of our political party, put someone in who is essentially identical to Obama, but is just on "our team."

My preferred candidate is Ron Paul, because I know of his strong stance on life; he will veto every pro-abortion bill, and every single bill that contains any funding for planned parenthood or other abortion providers. They call him "Dr. No" cause he has NEVER compromised his principles to get what he wants.

Now, besides Paul, I will vote for Newt (while holding my nose!), or Rick Perry, if either was the candidate. I would have to think really hard about Santorum, but would probably vote for him.

Mitt? No way. I am not going to vote a pro-abortion, big government phony in, just cause its "my team." Same with Huntsman.

4. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I agree with the OP.

The faster we realize any entanglement with politics besmirches the reputation of the Bride of Christ the sooner we realize the only way to change the world is through the local church.

Politics does nothing, sustainably, to change the world for the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

5. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Except to provide a free environment in which to preach the Gospel.

6. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

The Gospel does much better in countries where it is not preached so freely.:eek:

7. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Tell that to the First Great Awakening.

8. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'd echo Mexdead's sentiments. The American experiment is a short course to evaluate this "freedom." In reality, historically, the Gospel doesn't require a free speech society to be effacacious or zealously proclaimed. Too often it has done better under a clandestine advance than a public proclamation.

While I am thankful for the freedom here to proclaim, I am not foolish enough to believe either major political party ever really thinks about this question with clarity.

9. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Interesting that a thread inviting Christians to focus on the Gospel instead of politics is replete with posters whacking away at one candidate (or a couple of them), and then pushing one candidate in particular.
    Ironic, to use the polite term. :saint:

10. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

The problem is not politics, government, or certain politicians. The problem is the church no longer following sound doctrine.

11. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

Amy, there have already been so many excellent answers to your question, that I really don't have all that much to add. Please go back and read them all if you haven't already. I just want to say, as others have too, it all goes back to Mexdeaf's OP. The problem is in our churches and preaching. God wants us to live and make all our decisions, which would include voting, according to the commandments and principles set forth in His Word. Then He will sort out all the results. He sets up and deposes kings. This living by His Word is an everyday thing, not just when we vote every couple years or whatever. Is this easy? No! Do we always succeed every day? No! Should we aspire and try to apply His Word to every decision? YES!

We aren't hearing a lot of preaching on this from the pulpit. The world is creeping in and the pastors, sadly, are going along with it. I have seen pastors supporting families in the most evil end-of-life decisions for their family members because society is now saying that "quality" of life trumps value of life and natural death. That's only one of many, many examples but I'll stop there.

(Oh - just one more thing. I think it is very telling that the only two presidential candidates refusing to sign the pro-life/personhood pledge(s) are Mormons.)

12. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

I understand what you mean. For the most part it seems when/where the Church is being persecuted God has worked to really grow it. I believe this is because of people following the teachings in 1 Peter.

13. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

You have a great point. This is a time in human history that Scripture itself told us would come.

Is God moving to cut the chaff and maneuver things to work with a remnant as He has in times past? Maybe. There's also a fair amount of prophesy that could be at play today. I am not going to pretend to know exactly what God is doing today on a global scale. I think as pastors we need to focus on preaching and teaching the pure Word and that will prepare people for anything.