1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I'm curious, what kind of employment/jobs are represented?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by billwald, Nov 13, 2009.

1. billwald

billwald New Member

What kinds of job skills are represented by this list? How many have jobs that CAN'T be sent off shore?

20 years ago who would have thought that the switchboard of major US companies would be located in India? Anyone think house construction is guaranteed? Half the residential housing starts in the US are factory made.

If a complete house can be built in Oregon and shipped to Alaska then a complete house can be built in China and shipped to Oregon and Alaska. India just sold American notes and bought 40 tons of gold from the IMF? What will China do with their money if they stop buying American debt? Build house factories?

Me, I spent 30 yeas as a police officer. That sort of job will be secure unless the US loses WW3. Well, even then, that job will always be performed locally even if the officer is from China or wherever.

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am an accountant. Accounting can pretty much be done anywhere nowadays with technology.

Also, I am a bluegrass Internet radio DJ, which can also be done anywhere nowadays with technology as I can broadcast from anywhere I can connect my computer to the Internet.

#2 KenH, Nov 13, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  3. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tentmaker most of my life, TV repair mostly till later, then maintenance and maint. manager for big retailer. They didn't move it offshore they contracted my job out to a company that uses illegal aliens. Cheaper workers almost always wins out.:thumbsup:

4. Twizzler

Twizzler Member

I'm trying to imagine the Bluegrass twangy and nasally sound coming from an Indian. Heheh... it just doesn't quite fit.

5. targus

targus New Member

Third party auditor - can't be outsourced overseas - it is necessary to travel to the company under audit.

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ummm not falling for this one

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not much "twangy and nasally" in the bluegrass music that I play on my show, twpaige, unless I am playing some classic bluegrass songs. :)

8. Winman

Winman Active Member

I work for a company that produces high precision ball bearings primarily for aircraft, with many military applications. We also make balls for NASA, just a month ago astronaut Rick Mastracchio came to our shop, but I missed seeing him because I work 2nd shift at present and did not feel like coming in early to see him. But I have worked with engineers from NASA, Pratt and Whitney, Sikorsky, Boeing and others many times.

Here is an article about our visit from Rick Mastracchio.

http://www.registercitizen.com/articles/2009/09/20/news/doc4ab5a88709929794938816.txt

I am very fortunate, because of the military applications of most of our products, it is against the law for them to be outsourced to other countries.

We are a little slow at present, but things are slowly picking up.

I work in the Quality department and setup and run Eddy Current machines that test balls for cracks and stress defects. I also measure balls (size, concentricity, sphericity, surface finish...). I also have training in heat treatment and metallurgy. We also have a method of testing which I am not allowed to talk about (really). It is very precise work, we meaure to the millionths of an inch. So it is challenging and very interesting. You would be surprised at the science involved in making a simple bearing.

#8 Winman, Nov 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2009