1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I'm dating a Catholic.... help!

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by ZeroTX, May 9, 2004.

1. Mitsy

Mitsy New Member

Who said anything about marrying a non-believer?
    Let me say that I think it is VERY insulting to presume this Catholic girl to be lost. Are we in the dark ages here? That mindset is what makes Baptists LOOK VERY BAD in the eyes of many other people (Christians included). That narrowness is what would keep me out of any church that had that mentality. (Baptist is best is NOT my motto.)

Secondly, I don't agree that "hanging with our own" is a good thing. Sure, there are people we want to spend time with on a regular basis. Ideally, it would be great to find someone (of like faith) that we had a lot in common with otherwise. Sadly, the world isn't that perfect. And many times, we will tell ourselves such things like "I'd never marry a Catholic or someone who used to work in a bar or someone who is divorced or of a different race..and the list goes on and on"..I think you get my drift. We don't know who God has for us and oftentimes God can make us eat our own words. Sure, we can make good efforts to find someone with the traits most important to us, but you never know where you might find the person God has for you. Many times it's not in the most conventional places (and usually not in a church setting).

But telling someone NOT to date someone because they are Catholic is making a lot of presumptions about the person (especially when it sounds like they are open to hearing about Jesus if they truly are not a believer). How are the unsaved supposed to get saved if others do not witness to them? God uses us in many different ways. Don't limit what He can do in the situation of this poster. In other words, don't write this girl off for him. He (poster) sounds smart enough to be able to know when to stay and when and IF he should walk away from it.