1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I'm going to the county fair!

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Gina B, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

The fair is here this week, and most of the schools have no school today so that people can go.
    I'll be taking the girls. [​IMG]
    Now, a church I used to attend believes that going to the fair is wrong, unless you're simply there to pass out tracts and witness. :eek:
    Strange people, or is this a widespread believe among independants?
    Gina

2. Molly

Molly New Member

I don't think it is wrong,but it is kinda wasteful of money...IMO...we did go to our's because the girls had entered a few things and we looked at the animals,exhibits,etc...it was a fun afternoon. We don't play the games or ride the rides...although we have let them in the past. The people setting up the rides make us nervous.... :eek:

I think the children enjoy it and it is a fun thing to do,but way overpriced!

We'd rather use that money and do something really fun!

Molly

3. Gunther

Gunther New Member

Molly, what could possibly be dangerous about putting a few pegs in the dirt to support a roller coaster?

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fairs have an evil connotation from centuries back. They were a place to go and live "without restraint", lots of drinking (beer gardens), lots of sideshows, lots of loose women and no strict supervision in the "tunnel of love", et al.

So in typical fashion, "christians" threw out the whole thing out - good and bad condemned alike. Here in Wyoming we know some christians who wouldn't let their kids compete in 4-H because they would have to go to the fair to exhibit.

Roots of this "evil" connotation go back to Bunyan and his allegory which included much bad about "Vanity Fair".

~~~~~

I just wonder about having a fair this LATE in the year? How can they evaluate the size of my zucchini that was grown in July?? But my prize-winning salsa only gets hotter as it sits . . . :rolleyes:

5. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

You grow zucchini in July out there??
    This is Ashland. People don't care about your zucchini anyhow. They care about the size of your tractor, whose pig got first place, and then after learning how far up so and so had to get her arm up in that cow to artificially inseminate it, you can go buy a funnel cake for $5 and not eat it because you're still considered a "ferner" and still grossed out from the cow thing.
    Wouldn't miss it for the world! [​IMG]
    Gina

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

We haven't been to the county fair in several years, almost all we go for is the truck pull. But next year I plan on entering something in the folk art and handmade dolls catagories.

7. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We had our county fair the second or third week in August.

My favorite part is the tractor parade, usually lead by a grand pair of oxen; then in order of age, the steam tractors, then the early 1900's tractors until finally we get the two story air-conditioned monsters of today.

Rob

8. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I've been going to the Washington Parish Fair in Franklinton, LA for all my known life! I now take my boy and girl! We have a budget of $10 each to ride rides(Blackbird can't handle the Merry-go-Round nor the "Teacups"--there are 4-H exhibits, farm animals--milk and beef cattle, sheep, hogs---on and on and on!

Gina--I can hold a funnel cake in one hand and artifical inseminate the milk cow with the other!! Remember, Blackbird is one tough farm boy!!!! :cool: :cool:

Your buddy,
    blackbird

9. TheOliveBranch

TheOliveBranch New Member

I loved going to the fair in Walworth County, Wisconsin. It was really big, lasted for a week, and was reasonably priced. They also did not serve any alcohol. It was just plain fun.

Now, here in Jersey, they have alot to learn about fairs. They put up a few booths, have about ten animals, a carnival, and the rest is left to see how much one can drink in the three days that it is held. Pathetic.

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh boy, I attended the Great New York State Fair last month. How many days will I be banished from BB [​IMG]

Let me tell you what our Church did. We are located in a shopping center. During Fair week, CENTRO (local bus company) has a "park & ride" program at this shopping center. Each day, members of our church passed out cold bottled water to the fairgoers boarding the bus. That is, until we ran out out water. I trust next year our entire association will be involved.

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

When I was a kid I grew up on a dairy farm. We always went to the county fair. One of the things I liked to see was some of the huge milk cows and bulls. Some of those bulls weighed about 3000 pounds.

Years later when I taught high school I started taking student's work to the county fair. When a student takes sweepstakes and his picture and name is in the local paper it means a lot to him.

I know one family that wouldn't even let their kids associate with very many from church and they were homeschooled. So when the oldest daughter went to college she was overwhelmed and didn't know how to deal with reality. She had never had to take a stance on her own. Her parents avoided any situation where they might have to stand for something. Consequently the young lady dropped out of college and returned home. The parents learned a few things from that. Later the young lady did return to college and graduated. I have seen too many young people who were so shelterd that once they got away from home their rebellion came out full force. Right now I know two young ladies that went to church all their lives and are now living with their boyfriend. One of them has turned her back on her parents. Her response to me is that they are legalistic and she wants no part of them.

For several years I have taken my daughter visiting and knocking on doors. She sees how people live and her response at times is, "Yuck." She used to ask about why people smoke and drink. She is made stronger as she sees the courage my wife and I have and how we deal with those people. Jesus ate with sinners. If I expect to reach sinners I must associate with them to some degree. That doesn't mean I indulge in their sin. I must have conviction on those things.

Some of the most dynamic Christians I have met were from communist countries taught by atheist teachers. But they had good sound Christian parents who showed courage when it was illegal to share their faith. They know the difference between evil and good. They have seen and experienced it first hand.

More is caught then will ever be taught. Our children will follow our example more than our talk.

12. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

We're using the fair for part of our HOMESCHOOL work. [​IMG] I won't be expecting my kids to have to stand for anything more than the flag salute at the fair though! LOL Sounds like ours is quite tame compared to others that have been mentioned here.
    Gina

13. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Gina--my wife is a registered dietician(can't look at me and tell!!) Anyway, one year we were at the fair and there was a mobile booth that was cookin' and sellin' fried pork skins! We had a chance to talk to the "owner" of the booth--a local fella from Washington parish--he wasn't from some Bangledesh county way off in Walla Walla--a local guy--

Get this: We had the kids there and we were watchin' him fry up a batch of skins--he looked over at my wife and says, "Lady! The good part about these skins is---there is no fat involved!!"

I thought---"Fella! The knife throwin' booth is down this way! Why don't me and you go and see whats happenin' there!!!!!!"

For our homeschooled kids--it was a quick lesson in three things--

(1) the man was a liar
    (2) the skins ain't nothin' BUT fat and it was being fried in nothin' BUT fat making the whole deal FAT!
    (3) Pork skins are good when you have a Root Beer to wash it down!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Your buddy,
    Blackbird

14. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

blackbird; Us Yankees are more genteeeeel. We call them Pork RINDS.

There is 8% fat in one serving, but the GOOD news is there are ZERO carbs in them. I have been eating them like crazy and losing weight! [​IMG]

Gina: Enjoy yourself at the fair. I like to go and talk to people I haven't seen all year. The beer tent is set up way on the end so it is easy to avoid. We have plenty of auxillary police to round up the occasional straying 'imbiber'.

Our church sets up an air-conditioned bus and offers cold water and a short movie on "How to Be Saved".

15. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Ok, now I agree. Fairs are evil! :eek:
    My daughter did chores and saved up her money so she could have some fun. She was nice and gave her sisters money for games too, and then she got CHEATED! She won a game and they all started jumping up and down and screaming, the guy ignored that she won. I got his attention and pointed it out, he kicked her winning game piece off of the mark and said "no she didn't" and walked away. :mad:
    I was impressed with how she controlled herself. I expected tears and such, she huffed a little but just said "come on, let's go find something else". The other girls weren't so quick to move on, they were VERY upset and wanted her to get her prize. :(
    Oh well, a lesson learned about mean people I suppose, and how to be more careful with your money!
    But...would it be wrong for me to go back without the kids and smoosh him like an ant? :eek:
    Gina

16. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Gina--at the Washington Parish Fair--there is a prize for every person!! A winner every time!!!! "HEY YOU! BUDDY! YOU WITH THE COWBOY HAT ON!! WIN YOUR LADY THERE A PRIZE!!"

Blackbird