1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I'm thinking about getting a car...but

Discussion in 'Money Talk$' started by Acebopata, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Acebopata

Acebopata New Member

With limited monetary resources, I'd either have to find one under $600 for a single payment or make no more than 4 $450 payments... And I'd need to get a drivers license, too. :tonofbricks:

But I'm secretly hoping to get a ford Torus form the early 1990's. :praying:

So while I plot this "Car" issue... let's chat about...um...my mind just went blank... :BangHead:

2. billwald

billwald New Member

You want a miracle from God.

Insurance will cost you another few hundred.

Do you have www.zipcar.com in your city?

Would a used motorcycle get you through the nice weather?

3. Acebopata

Acebopata New Member

True about the Insurance.

I don't think so.

Yeah, that's work fine.

4. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

If you don't have a driver's lisence you need to get that first. It may not be as easy as it seems, depending on your age (under 18 or 19 here must hold a "learners permit" for 6 months before gaining an independent driver's lisence.)

Then I suggest that you put that $450 a month aside for the next 3 or 4 months, by which time you will have a lump sum of $1800 which is a more reasonable price for an older car (although, I just participated in a discussion on another board and the goin g rate for Ford Taurus' was $2400-$3500).

While you are saving, start pricing insurance. Insurance prices are calculated in part by your credit score (or lack of one if you are very young) and your age. (under 21 pays a much higher price) Some companies are cheaper than others, BUT you have to pay attention to what kind of insurance you are buying. Full coverage?? Liability only? Medical payment limits? Glass breakage and towing? There are all sorts of options. Plan ahead!

A good insurance person can give you quotes for different models of cars. You may find that the Taurus costs more per year than say a Toyota Corolla. That might be an influence on your choice of cars to buy. I just traded off my son's Isuzu Amigo for his much wished for Ford Mustang, same year model (1998) and saved $13 dollars a year, lol! So look around for insurance before you buy.

5. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Just a suggestion, but in your price range you might could get a well kept older Ford Truck, a 2wd that has not been beat up for a work truck, with a 300 6 cylinder. They are pretty easy to work on if you don't get one with all the fuel injection/computerized junk, are dependable, and get better gas mileage than you would think for a truck.

6. Acebopata

Acebopata New Member

That's some great advice you have given me, thank you!

To be honest, I'd be content with most any kind of vehicle as a started vehicle. My Dream vehicle is a ford torus, though, and car would do.