1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

IMB official reverses decision to fire African missionaries

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, May 1, 2006.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The SBC politicians are at it again. Don’t you just wonder who their God is? Don’t you just wonder about their integrity? Don’t you just winder about their beliefs? Do these men really know what they believe?

http://www.abpnews.com/www/995.article

Associated Baptist Press

IMB official reverses decision to fire African missionaries

By Hannah Elliott

Published: May 1, 2006

RICHMOND, Va. (ABP) -- International Mission Board officials have reinstated Wyman and Michelle Dobbs, the missionary couple who had faced termination for establishing a "baptistic" church in the West African nation of Guinea.

The couple's pastor reported the news May 1.

The Dobbses had received an April 15 ultimatum for resigning or being fired for starting a church in cooperation with non-SBC missionaries. As Associated Baptist Press first reported April 13, IMB leaders issued the mandate because the church the Dobbses started wasn't explicitly Baptist, and because they had cooperated with a missionary couple from the Christian and Missionary Alliance. However, CMA is a conservative evangelical denomination, and the couple had reportedly stated their agreement with SBC doctrinal standards.

The congregation was one of only a handful in the heavily Muslim nation, and the only one affiliated with IMB missionaries.

Jason Helmbacher, the couple's stateside pastor at Immanuel Baptist Church in Sallisaw, Okla., told ABP he couldn't have chosen a better outcome for the situation, which galvanized his church, bloggers and missionary supporters nationwide.

"We’re just really thrilled about it,” Helmbacher said, in a May 1 telephone interview. “I have to admit we were shocked."

Helmbacher said Gordon Fort, vice president of IMB overseas operations, made the decision to reinstate the couple after a regional leader recommended their dismissal. Had Fort not reinstated them, IMB trustees would have had the final say on the recommendation to terminate.

Helmbacher praised Fort's decision. "He handled it in a very professional way. I was very impressed."

IMB officials have declined to comment on the Dobbses' situation, citing a policy of not discussing personnel matters with the media.

2. Karen

Karen Active Member

I am not sure I see it the way you do.
    A regional leader made a recommendation. That leader's overseer overruled that recommendation.

I am glad. I did not think they should have been terminated. But I don't see how what you have reported shows hypocrisy on the part of the overseer reinstating them.

Karen

3. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

Some folks seem to have a "down-with-the-SBC" mentality. It's like, "If I can bring down the giant, he and I will then be on the same level." I receive an unsolicited monthly newsletter from the "Mainstream Baptists in Alabama." This rag is basically a condemnation of the SBC. I am sure the editor will have a heyday with the subject matter of this thread.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Take a look at www.wadeburleson.com The IMB tried to get rid of him recently too. He is currently currently serving as a trustee on the International Mission Board. The good ol' boys are getting exposed.

In the Bible it mentions who does the humbling.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

To even make such a recommendation is to think of the church as SBC and not God's. God's church is much more diverse and its magnitude far greater then the mentality of the SBC. There should be cooperation and not a competition.

Take a look at www.wadeburleson.com and read what a trustee in the IMB reports. Just a few weeks ago they tried to get rid of him too becasue he is not a good ol' boy like them.

6. J.R.Maddox

J.R.Maddox New Member

gb...you and those who share your views simply show your bitter spirit towards all things SBC. The original decision to fire these folks was wrong...the right action has been taken. I believe it is you who needs to read Wades blog...he will respond to this with grace and character...something that is lacking in your posts.

J

7. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did we ever find out why the original decision was made to fire in the first place? It always felt like we where only hearing half the phone conversation. It could easily be argued that the CMA is more conservative then the SBC, since they go as far as defining the end-times theology you must follow.

I wander how much of the public outcry was factored into the decision making of the higher ups. I know the "new" SBC is above such things (FDT instead of TIC- finger down throat), but it would have been interesting to be a fly on the wall of that meeting.