1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

IMB Trustee Meeting

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jimmy C, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Mark Osgatharp

Mark Osgatharp New Member

I never said there was. I said that the Baptist Faith and Message proscribes the practice of open communion, making immersion on a profession of faith prerequisite to both church membership and participation in the Lord's supper.

So now back to my original question: will the IMB now decline to endorse missionaries that practice open communion?

Mark Osgatharp

2. GeneMBridges

GeneMBridges New Member

I know I'm late this discussion. I came to this on search for a discussion list I'm on where the Lord's Supper is at issue.

Anyhoo, this is actually not clear in the BFM if we go by the debate on the BFM the year it was passed. This question was raised from the floor immediately before the vote. However, time had been consumed on the debate over Article 1.

I believe it was Daniel Vestal that finally uttered the words, "...after all it's just a book" (referring to the Bible), which pretty much shut down the debate, because after that they demanded a vote. It was the biggest case of opening one's mouth and inserting one's foot in public that had happened in a looong time at the SBC.

Anyhoo, I remember this well. Immediately before they called the vote, a gentleman took the microphone and raised a question about this article. He was cut off by the chair and a vote was called. His question was never answered. He was, however, concerned about the language and wanted to know if it meant the SBC was affirming closed communion.