1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Immigrant: Judge told me to go home

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by 2 Timothy2:1-4, Sep 12, 2007.

1. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Anna Calixto went to court Friday seeking an order of protection from her husband, Fernando Calixto. Instead, she was told to go back to her native country of Nicaragua by Blount County Circuit Court Judge W. Dale Young, according to witnesses.
    Anna Calixto and witnesses said the judge asked Fernando Calixto — who came to the United States from Mexico — if he was in the United States legally. The judge told him if he wasn’t here legally, he had “no rights in court.”

http://www.thedailytimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070912/NEWS/70912001

Good for the judge!:thumbs:

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. And I so totally disagree with the ACLU representative that said the courts have to take everyone, regardless of citizenry or not.

However, there is a "rest of the story" to this:
    In ignoring this lady's legal right to be in this country, he opened himself up for criticism.

3. 2 Timothy2:1-4

Legal right to be here doesn't mean she has legal standing in American courts.

4. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Will you explain that further ?

I don't think the judge did right in both counts.

So does that mean that if one is illegal, he/she is fair game to one and all, anyone can brutalize him/her, rape him/her, steal his/her property or earnings, beat up on him/her, and there is no way in hell the illegal can be afforded the protection of the law in a country that is supposed to be a country of laws ?

I shudder to think what kind of judge this judge will be in Immigration Court.

#4 pinoybaptist, Sep 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2007
  5. 2 Timothy2:1-4

sure. They are citizens in another country, they were married in another country the judge told them to go home and let their own courts deal with it. They are just visitors here.

6. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My wife and I were married in our country, the Philippines. Now, suppose that we had a problem, and I beat up on my wife, does that mean cops will not arrest me and enforce the law against wife beating on me ?

Suppose my wife felt so threatened by me that she runs to the courts to compel the courts here to restrain me and issue an order to that effect, should the courts just tell her that our issues are none of the United States' business and that we should go home and let Philippine courts settle this issue since we were married in the Philippines ?

Now, suppose one of us got married here to another person, US citizen or otherwise, what right does the United States, under your confusing logic and this judge's arrogance, have to charge either one of us with bigamy ?

Lastly, you do not have the facts straight.

Seems to me you read your own link wrong.

Anything else you can come up with to justify this "honorable" judge ?

#6 pinoybaptist, Sep 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2007
  7. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry about the bold letters, Tim.
    They're just for emphasis, not to yell.
    I can understand your dislike of illegals, and believe me, I am on your side on that issue.
    However, I think the judge was out of bounds on this one, and was less than professional.
    Illegal or not, everybody should have equal access to the laws of countries, not only the United States.
    Imagine how you would feel if you were in their country, and the judge there said you go ahead and kill your wife because of your marital problems, don't worry about us, it's none of our business.

8. 2 Timothy2:1-4

Yea heaven forbid he see his children.