1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Immoral Gas

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ShotGunWillie, Oct 10, 2007.

1. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Is the use of ethanol for fuel immoral?

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This place cracks me up...no

But I would also suggest that this is the wrong question.

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Maybe I am missing something here, but why would it be "immoral"?

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

If God had meant man to use ethanol in a car, He would have put it in the oil we make into gas.

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I was afraid to open this thread...........:)

6. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

The only possible immoral gas I can think of is the "dutch oven".

7. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

I had a different thought come to mind when I read the title to this thread. :laugh: :tongue3:

How can any fuel be immoral?

8. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Or the gas that comes from me eating to many carbs ...

My take on ethanol - it is a totally political solution (that is really not a solution) The only reason it is viable at all now is the tremendous govt subsidies that are provided to it - thanks to the lobbiest by archer daniels midland. In order to make enough ethanol to even give us ethanol to even come close to helping replace mideast oil would take so many acres of land that we could not feed our people.

other problems with ethanol - it is very corrosive. have you had to replace your gas lines on your mowers or trimmers lately - I have had to replace several. It absolutely eats up older model cars and talk to the small gas sellers about what it has done to thier tanks and gas lines.

The cost to get it to market is extremely high, it is unstable and cannot be shipped via gas lines - you must use tankers

cost of production is very high

Taken all those things into consideration - I guess you could say it is stupid, immoral - only when people die because we can feed them because so much is used for fuel

9. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I was too, but I did and now I'm confused . . .

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Must be a boring day:laugh: I been watching the grass grow and the paint dry.

Nope still a boring thread :sleeping_2:

11. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Well!

:type:

12. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

Yes it is. And the electricity used for energy to start this thread was immoral as well.

With the overwhelming evidence of your guilt and no SUV to escape in, I pity your soul on judgment day.

#12 Ivon Denosovich, Oct 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2007
  13. Dale McNamee

Dale McNamee New Member

Dear Jimmy C,

You wrote : "
    Or the gas that comes from me eating to many carbs ...

My take on ethanol - it is a totally political solution (that is really not a solution) The only reason it is viable at all now is the tremendous govt subsidies that are provided to it - thanks to the lobbiest by archer daniels midland. In order to make enough ethanol to even give us ethanol to even come close to helping replace mideast oil would take so many acres of land that we could not feed our people.

other problems with ethanol - it is very corrosive. have you had to replace your gas lines on your mowers or trimmers lately - I have had to replace several. It absolutely eats up older model cars and talk to the small gas sellers about what it has done to thier tanks and gas lines.

The cost to get it to market is extremely high, it is unstable and cannot be shipped via gas lines - you must use tankers

cost of production is very high

Taken all those things into consideration - I guess you could say it is stupid, immoral - only when people die because we can feed them because so much is used for fuel "

I remember my experience with Ethanol back in the late '70's when there was the Arab oil boycott.

I wound up rebuilding an engine because of the corrosive nature of the ethanol, even on plastic gaskets & such.

Ethanol mixed gas delivers fewer MPG's than regular gasoline, thus you spend more money for less milage.

And you're right about the acreage needed to plant enough corn & soybeans to produce enough ethanol. I heard that even if the entire acreage of the state of Kansas were totally dedicated corn, it wouldn't make a dent in our dependency on oil.

Also,what happens if a severe drought occurs ?

There is METHANOL which has been used in Indy racing since 1964 and in drag racing as well that could be formulated to run in regular engines. It can be distilled from non-food crops,wood chips,etc.
    See : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol_fuel

I agree with you regarding using food crops for fuel...That's immoral !

In Christ,

Dale McNamee

14. Dale McNamee

Dale McNamee New Member

Addendum to my last post :

Liquified synthetic gasoline from coal has been used in the recent past for autos & trucks : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal

In Christ,

Dale McNamee

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Ethanol is fine...it's the ethanol fuel cars that are immoral ;)

16. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

The reason I posed the question is based on the use of ethanol as another resource for fuel. The immoral part would be using food sources as a means for fuel. Crops being dedicated to fuel as oppose to feeding people. Would it not be immoral for the US to dedicate God given food sources to fuel vehicles?

17. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

I'd like to see the scripture on that one.

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Was is it a sin to use olive oil as fuel as they did in ancient times?

19. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

It isn't wrong to use corn for purposes other than food. If food production held a trump card over everything else then any energy and machinery producing something inedible would be immoral by default of "wasting" resources that could be devoted to relieving hunger. For that matter, a case could be made that the computer expense all of you have incurred limits your ability to donate monetarily to food charities and therefore constitutes gross priorities. In the end, there is no absolute standard for giving, so ultimately there is no moral standard either. Also, it's important to keep in mind that people were starving before the advent of ethanol so it's safe to assume that ethanol isn't responsible for starvation. The predominant reason people groups starve is political oppresion and that has nothing to do with whether or not you even own a car.

That being said, I still think corn for fuel is a wasteful government project.

#19 Ivon Denosovich, Oct 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2007
  20. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

My granpa used to use his corn squeezins for another type of 'fuel'- but that's a story for another day.

:laugh::smilewinkgrin: