1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Immorality in Ministry

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Victorious, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Martin Luther

Martin Luther New Member

Marriage is between a man and a woman, no state sanctioning is needed and no ceremony is needed.

2. Victorious

Victorious Member

So what you are saying is that no formal acknowledgment is necessary? Couple can just co-habit and you call this marriage?

Jesus made a distinction:

He *said to her, "Go, call your husband and come here." The woman answered and said, "I have no husband." Jesus *said to her, "You have correctly said, 'I have no husband'; for you have had five husbands, and the one whom you now have is not your husband; this you have said truly." (John 4:16-18 NASB)

So what do you think He meant by this?

3. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Many states do recognize common law marriage. You cohabit, hold yourself out as married, and you are. You cannot just break up, but must divorce to end the union. No ceremony needed.

4. Victorious

Victorious Member

Very interesting...

Does this co-habiting have a timeline or are one night stands considered "marriage?" Or, does it have to do with benefits for children within the union?

5. Victorious

Victorious Member

Thank you for the information. After looking up common law marriage and the states that have allowed it, it brings up another issue of religion and ethics. I'll post a new thread to get input. Thanks again.

6. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

That is what seems to come up most often in those cases where it would be a real consideration. Is ok to marry someone who is avoiding state contact with marriage because they are evading income taxes? What about evading the law for a crime in another state? (Both real examples)

I have only performed one wedding of this type and I was pleased to do it. In other cases we must have a high regard for our conciense according to the high standards set forth in God's Word alone.

7. Martin Luther

Martin Luther New Member

Jesus says that she has had five husbands, meaning that she had become one flesh with all five men. Since she had not committed to the new husband she had not "married" him. Marriage is an oath two people make to each other before God. This is all that is needed.

8. Victorious

Victorious Member

Well, that is one way to interpret it. Here is another from the PNT:

Joh 4:18
    Thou hast had five husbands; and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband. She had been married five times; the easy divorce laws of the age, permitting a "divorce for any cause," would allow many changes without the death of either party. Some of her husbands may have died; a part were almost certainly divorced. Her sixth alliance did not have even the apology of such a marriage.

Either way, I agree with those on the board who understand a common law marriage to be something Christians should not partake in. What the world does is one thing, but we should not set this kind of example.

9. Martin Luther

Martin Luther New Member

You can call it Common law but I just call it biblical marriage. A good friend of mine got married by his father in law. The marriage was small, 30-40 people. My friend and his wife to be came up with their own vows and they were married. No license, no ordained preacher. So tell me, are they married? And which of the elements mentioned is needed to make marriage "real". When you cut out the fat, you are left with a man and a woman making a vow before God to each other. That is it.

10. Victorious

Victorious Member

The issue for Christians is the appearance of evil and whether or not God recognizes it. Good point, though. I still don't agree with it for appearance sake and many other reasons, but maybe it is just a matter of a cultural taboo, which would bring up the issue of state regulation of marriage. Another time...

11. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

I may have missed it in the thread, but why can't they get married? Is it for financial reasons? If the church performs an under the table marriage to defraud the government or insuance company of money, wouldn't that be theft? I just don't understand how this is even a consideration.

I understand the compassion for the woman, but is it true compassion to allow her to live sinfully and still partake in ministry. Is that compassionate for the young couple who watch and say, 'we can just shack up, the church says it's OK'.

Sounds like you got the correct idea in confronting her. Let us know how it turns out and I will keep both her and your church in prayer.

12. Victorious

Victorious Member

It is for financial reasons. She would lose most of her benefits income from her deceased husband.

Thank you. She will not be allowed to lead music any longer. We do appreciate your prayers.

13. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

So, along with living with her "boyfriend", she is also defrauding her benifit provider?

14. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

I do not mention the above to condem the women any further, but just to bring it into awareness. I live in a culture where this is a common occuance among young, middle aged, and old. People recieve government assistance while living with men or women who work jobs everyday. It's decietful, illegal, and immoral.

</rant>

15. Victorious

Victorious Member

No, she can't be defrauding her provider - the world doesn't mind her living with the man - she just can't collect if she has another husband (which he isn't.) Sigh...

16. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Common law marriage is still marriage and therefore affects her benefits.

17. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

But wouldnt avoiding a state (legal) marriage because of monetary gain be dishonest? And in fact be stealing from the pension fund? And a lie to boot?

AJ

18. Martin Luther

Martin Luther New Member

I'm sure the pension fund does not recognize godly marriage. All they are concerned with is legal marriage.

If this church is so concerned about this woman maybe they should offer to pay her bills, it's so easy to stand back and judge.

19. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

You would be hard pressed to find this distinction in teh Bible. The Bible says we are to live by the laws of the state. If they say a license is necessary, then they are not married without one. Don't bring shame on the church by playing a sham game with marriage.

I don't think the problem is paying her bills. She can pay her bills. She is living in sin, according to what is being said here.

20. Martin Luther

Martin Luther New Member

That's just it; you DON'T need one, even according to the state. Which by the way, has no business performing these services on Gods behalf. When the state offers a salvation license will you also obey? Let’s face it, there are many things we as Christians must do with or without state approval. (spanking our children comes to mind)

Well I guess it’s a good thing for her that Gods opinion is the only one that counts.