1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Implications of Common Law Marriage

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Victorious, Mar 7, 2009.

1. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Are you saying following God's commandments on marriage will not produce a lifelong commitment to each other that will never end in divorce?

Good grief...."What God has joined together, let no man tear asunder"

You can't follow that instruction and get a divorce. Therefore, following God's commands on marriage always, 100% of the time, produces a lifelong marriage that will never end in divorce.

peace to you:praying:

2. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I already have, even within the last couple of pages on this thread.
    Perhaps you can show me those verses where Adam and Eve had a "proper traditional ceremony".
    Either your thinking is really polluted, or you didn't say that the way you wanted to.

God would never tell us to follow the "corrupted norms of society". God would never tell us to sin. In fact, He tells us just the opposite when He tells us not to be conformed to the world.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

And yet we are speaking of sinful man. Man sins. Man falls. There is no 100% when it comes to man. I'm sorry to break the news to you.

So apparently the "statistics" you've stated are false since you can't back them up.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Show me the verse that speaks of Adam and Eve's marriage. You can't.

However, I do believe there was a High Priest who was present and officiated the marriage.

Anything having to do with this world is corrupted. He tells us to honor our father and mother. "All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God" means that our parents are corrupt.

We are to obey our masters, whether we are slaves or employees.

We are to obey our government, which we know is corrupt.

It is only when obedience will be in direct conflict with Scripture that we are not to obey. But marrying by the state is not in conflict with Scripture. If it is, then God would tell us - and I do not see one verse in the Word that says to disobey the government in regards to marriage.

5. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree. We must reject anything that violates our Christian conscience. We should never be forced to violate our conscience.
    Our hypothetical couple believe it is.

The very fact that the government has introduced no fault divorce, homose*ual marriages etc., violates scripture and God's intentions for marriage.
    "What God has joined together, let no man tear asunder."

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yet you are saying just that. That by having a state marriage, we are disobeying God. It is and has always been my conscience that to disobey the government and the Word of God is wrong.

This hypothetical couple has a lot to say. I'm going to ask for the truth: are you lying that it is a hypothetical couple and that it is you instead?

The government will also use your tax dollars to do stem cell research and pay for abortions. It will pay for men and women to be lazy. It will pay for irresponsibility. Will you stop paying your taxes too?

The very fact that no-fault divorce and homosexual marriage has nothing to do with Godly marriages that are recognized by the state means nothing.

Living together with just declaring yourself married is what the world has done for years illegally. That means that those who wish to not align themselves with the homosexuals and reprobates will instead ..... align themselves with the homosexuals and reprobates. I'm stepping out on a limb. I'm going to align myself with God, obey my government and respect my culture to give no one reason to malign God by saying I'm living in sin. I'm going to have a successful marriage, with my 4 children, homeschooling them and raising them to be Godly men and women. I think that's more in line with God's Word than living together. We are not told in Scripture that saying a couple of words to each other is a marriage. If that was what a marriage was and the ONLY way God wanted marriage to occur, then I'm sure He could have said something Himself.

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

How can they think they cannot fail? It's wonderful that they plan to be faithful and to stay married, but that does not mean things cannot happen.

I don't see the difference between the couple's so-called "marriage" and state-sponsored marriage that causes this couple to reject state sponsored marriage (I do see a difference in other ways). As I said earlier on the thread, marriage goes bad due to whomever is involved in it -- getting a marriage license does not doom the marriage. I find these claims about state sponsored marriage and the desire of this couple to be free of it and therefore have a better or more godly marriage to be totall illogical. The state is not going to make them fail; if they fail, it's due to themselves, not getting a license.

And I disagree about how they "appear to be living together." If they do not get married legally, they are living together. One only has their word that they are married; there is no evidence for the commitment.

#247 Marcia, Mar 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2009
  8. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

They can say that but their statement is not in line with historical fact. Maybe they will stay together. Maybe they won't. Flip the coin. Do you actually think this "hypothetical couple" are superior to Christians who obtain a marriage license and have a church wedding out in the open? Why?

9. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, the hypothetical couple are not saying that. They will not violate their conscience based on their understanding of scripture on this matter.

If your involvement in state sponsored marriage does not violate your conscience, then you have Christian liberty to embrace state sponsored marriage to your hearts content.

The hypothetical couple will not ask if you have a state sponsored marriage. They view that as none of the their business, as they believe such matters are between the couple and God.
    We've been down this road before, but I'll answer again. Scripture clearly tells us to pay our taxes. Scripture nowhere tells us we must have a license from the state for marriage to be valid.
    Your sentence is so fragmented that I'm not really sure what you are saying. However, the hypothetical couple are going to disagree with you just to be safe.
    That is simply untrue and has been demonstrated in this very thread several times to be untrue.

I can't imagine why you continue to make an argument that has already been discredited, unless you simply have no other argument.

10. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    They never said they cannot fail. They said the love of God cannot fail. That if they keep the commandments of God concerning marriage, their marriage cannot fail.
    You can certainly disagree with them all you want. You can call it illogical. You can view it as "living together" in sin.

But what you, or anyone else, have not been able to do is to show this couple why they are wrong according to scripture.

11. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    So that's your answer for a successful marriage? "Stay together...heads....break up and divorce...tails...."

The hypothetical couple prefer to cling to scripture in this matter.
    Straw man in the house.....