1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Impossible to Keep

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by DHK, Nov 21, 2013.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As in the case of my previous post - the mere quote of the text itself - makes the case.

1 Cor 7:19 "what matters is KEEPING the Commandments of God".

Rom 3:31 "do we then make VOID the Law of God by our faith? God forbid! In fact we esablish the Law"

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You keep quoting Scripture out of context. Here is a Scripture right in the midst of marriage counseling, and you quote it as if it is applicable to the Ten Commandments. It has nothing to do with the Ten Commandments. It has nothing to do with the Sabbath; it never did. But you don't care about context and never really did.
    Another verse that you interpret in a bogus way.
    Listen to A.T. Robertson:
    Your futility in quoting the Baptist Confession, Spurgeon, and Moody makes you a liar. Not one of them believe the Sabbath, the OT Sabbath, as defined by the Bible, is for today. Why do you bring them up if they are not relevant for today. You act as if you have never read Moody's sermon. So stop misrepresenting him. I must tell you this over and over again. His definition of Sabbath is far different than your. Obviously he doesn't believe in the same "sabbath" you do. You simply play the part of a hypocrite here.

Now, get back to the OP. How would you or any Sabbatarian, keep the Sabbath today in a practical way? You keep avoiding this post. You can't do it. It is impossible for you to do it.

It is not that it is impossible, it is nearly impossible for one living in the U.S, or most western nations who are dependent on government controlled (or private-contolled) utilities, and other such things.

First, you would have to be completely self contained, not dependent upon anyone for anything. That means you would need your own power source for everything.
    As long as you are contributing to the cause of someone else to work or break the Sabbath, you are not keeping the Sabbath. Thus your dependence on electricity or gas provided by another on that day is breaking the Sabbath. Provide your own. I am not saying that it is wrong to be modernized, but you have to provide your own fuel. Run a generator. Don't use someone else's fuel. Don't contribute to the "death" of another by causing him to work on the Sabbath by using their utility. That is the principle. You must use your own, and you can't run it or use it on the Sabbath. I suppose if it were a gas run generator as long as you had enough fuel you could keep it running, and never turn it off until the Sabbath is over. Didn't their fires have to be kept lit, and didn't they have to have enough firewood to keep them lit? That is what you have to find out. One thing we know for sure, you can't go out and buy more fuel (or collect sticks).

Where do you worship in relation to where you live? Is it farther than five-eighths of a mile. Then you break the Sabbath! You can only travel a Sabbath Day's journey.

So Bob, tell us HOW you keep the Sabbath. Do you adhere to the law when keeping the Sabbath?
    Don't avoid simple questions.

3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Originally Posted by BobRyan [​IMG]
    As in the case of my previous post - the mere quote of the text itself - makes the case.

1 Cor 7:19 "what matters is KEEPING the Commandments of God".

you are holding your Bible at too great a distance to come up with a solution so you seem to be settling for "any ol excuse will do".

Notice what the text says as it contrasts the Ceremonial law to the Moral Law - the TEN Commandments.

19 Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but what matters is the keeping of the commandments of God.

Or did you have some story about this being about only marrying the uncircumcised?

What in the world??

The text does not say "what matters is the commandment not to marry the uncircumcised" or "the commandment about Marriage".

Rather it is the "CommandMENTS of God" just as John mentions in 1John 5:2-4 no way to sugar coat this for those opposed to the Commandments of God being inclusive of the TEN Commandments.

in Christ,

Bob

#23 BobRyan, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2013
  4. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Rom 3:31 "Do we then make void the Law of God? God forbid! In fact we ESTABLISH the Law of God"

#24 BobRyan, Nov 22, 2013
  5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

So then you think I should have mentioned that they are "Sunday keepers" and not those who keep the actual 7th day of the week that GOD commanded in HIS Word?

Like THIS ??

Clearly "One of us" is not telling the truth - because you claim I am not presenting them as "sunday keepers" and I claim that I am.

Let the reader try to figure out that no-too-difficult not-subtle-at-all point.

There was a time when I did not think there was an objective reader on this board who could possible go along with the confused idea that I am presenting these sources as if they are keeping Saturday as the Sabbath as God commanded. Apparently there are one or two others here in your same state of confusion on that point.

I just have no idea how you are getting so befuddled when I make this so clear.

In any case the point that is impossible to miss IN THEIR text is that THEY claim the Ten Commandments are LEGIT!

in Christ,

Bob

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Rom 3:31 "Do we then make void the Law of God? God forbid! In fact we ESTABLISH the Law of God"

You keep repeating the failed argument that anyone who keeps the Ten Commandments - ii.e honors his Father or Mother - or keeps the 4th commandment must do so as a means of gaining salvation.

A point I have never argued in favor of - so you keep making this up as if I have argued for it.

Why keep doing that?

Who is supposed to be taken in by it?

me??

in Christ,

Bob

#27 BobRyan, Nov 22, 2013
  8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You don't know what "the commandments of God" are do you?

1 John 5:2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.

They are more accurately defined here:
    John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
    John 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
    John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

"His commandments" always refer to the specific commandments of Christ, which is never OT law.

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Answer the OP. You don't because you can't.

10. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Jesus calls the TEN Commandments the "Word of GOD" in Mark 7:13.

Jesus' statement in John 14 is PRE CROSS.

John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
    John 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them,

Even the Baptist Confession of Faith admits that pre-cross the Sabbath is on Saturday - the "last day of the week" and is binding on all mankind.

Your reach to this PRE-cross statement of Christ as a supposed time when the TEN Commandments are abolished or are NOT the Word of God or are NOT Christ's (who IS God) or not to be paid attention to --- leaves you on an island that few of even the Sunday keeping sources will wander off toward.

in Christ,

Bob

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have half a dozen posts on the OP - and all I am ignoring is your "gather sticks" argument which I have already stated - I am not gathering sticks on Sabbath and Israel did not need fires in the 40 years of the desert for anything but cooking - which they did on "The preparation day" - Friday.

This just isn't that hard.

in Christ,

Bob

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    According to 'the Bible" here is how the Sabbath is kept. (Since so many here have asked that I read this to them - and I am very happy to do so.)

Ex 20:
    8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.

9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work,

10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

Isaiah 58
    “If you turn away your foot from the Sabbath,
    From doing your pleasure on My holy day,
    And call the Sabbath a delight,
    The holy day of the Lord honorable,
    And shall honor Him, not doing your own ways,
    Nor finding your own pleasure,
    Nor speaking your own words,
    14 Then you shall delight yourself in the Lord;
    And I will cause you to ride on the high hills of the earth,

Isaiah 56

For thus says the Lord:
    “To the eunuchs who keep My Sabbaths,
    And choose what pleases Me,
    And hold fast My covenant,
    5 Even to them I will give in My house
    And within My walls a place and a name
    Better than that of sons and daughters;
    I will give them an everlasting name
    That shall not be cut off. 6 “Also the sons of the foreigner
    Who join themselves to the Lord, to serve Him,
    And to love the name of the Lord, to be His servants—
    Everyone who keeps from defiling the Sabbath,
    And holds fast My covenant—

Is 66
    “And it shall be from new moon to new moon
    And from sabbath to sabbath,
    All mankind will come to bow down before Me,” says the Lord.

NKJV

And it shall come to pass
    That from one New Moon to another,
    And from one Sabbath to another,
    All flesh shall come to worship before Me,” says the Lord.

Lev 23
    23 The Lord spoke again to Moses, saying, 2 “Speak to the sons of Israel and say to them, ‘The Lord’s appointed times which you shall proclaim as holy convocationsMy appointed times are these:
    3 ‘For six days work may be done, but on the seventh day there is a sabbath of complete rest, a holy convocation. You shall not do any work; it is a sabbath to the Lord in all your dwellings.

I don't think you will find any whining or complaining about these texts and these observance details in Sunday keeping source documents (Emphasis for DHK to note the detail so often skipped over each time I mention it) such as the "Baptist Confession of Faith" section 19 or the "Westminster Confession of Faith" Section 19 or in D.L. Moody's online sermon on the TEN Commandments - in his 4th Commandment section. Nor will you find the Seventh-day Baptists complaining about these texts - nor the Messianic Jewish groups, nor R.C Sproul.

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You have done nothing to show how one is to keep the Sabbath.
    You have only quoted texts that demand that one is to honor the Sabbath.
    Your avoidance of the OP demonstrates more and more your inability to keep the Sabbath, the impossibility of keeping the Sabbath, and that you are simply playing a game--in which you are the hypocrite.
    You say you keep the Sabbath; you do not.
    If you did, you would be able to show HOW you keep the sabbath, but it is obvious to all on this board you cannot do this.

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Mark 7:13 is not John 14!
    And this enlightening statement of yours is helpful because....
    MY COMMANDMENTS, the commandments of Jesus were not the commandment of Moses. Read the gospels to find out what they were. Hint: they were instructions given to his disciples.
    I have news for you: Jesus didn't quote from the Baptist Confession of Faith. You better find a new Bible!
    Learn to take things in context. "My commandments" are not the "Ten Commandments" or Mosaic law. They never were.

And again I add:

Your avoidance of the OP demonstrates more and more your inability to keep the Sabbath, the impossibility of keeping the Sabbath, and that you are simply playing a game--in which you are the hypocrite.
    You say you keep the Sabbath; you do not.
    If you did, you would be able to show HOW you keep the sabbath, but it is obvious to all on this board you cannot do this.

15. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    How one--a Christian--is to keep the Sabbath?

As ONE: "The Body-of-Christ's-Own Sabbaths'-Feast-of-Christ": "The-Assembling-of-us-together-for-to-Break-Bread" of "the Lord's Supper", "holding to the Head Christ the Nourishment being ministered growing with the growth of God".

That is how!

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

That is not how Israel kept the Sabbath, Saturday, the seventh day of the week. If you want to keep the Sabbath, a day given to the Jews, then follow Jewish law.

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Sabbath-Breaking from ISBE
    Faucett in his Bible Dictionary says:
    It is obvious that Bob comes nowhere near celebrating the Sabbath as the OT dictates he should.

18. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    How to keep the Sabbath? How to deal with the thorn in one's side at an unreachable spot is much more difficult and IMPOSSIBLE.

19. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Definitely not!
    That was how Christians in the New Testament “Assembling-Together”, “eating and drinking of Feast-of-Sabbaths”, kept the NEW-TESTAMENT AND CHRISTIAN: “Sabbath”: “the day The Seventh Day GOD: thus concerning: IN THESE LAST DAYS: BY THE SON: SPAKE.”

Have I forgotten to mention it?

Then, needed I to have mentioned it?

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The Sabbath was given to Israel and only Israel according to Exodus 31, as a sign of the covenant made between Jehovah and them. Therefore to keep it one must keep the Levitical law that goes with it.
    Christians did not and do not do that.