1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

In salvation is there anything which we have to fulfill?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Dec 3, 2006.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

I just had to think about it. In order to get saved you have to do these things (correct me if I'm wrong):

-believe
    -repent

Is repenting something which happens automatically or do you have to point this out to a person when you're witnessing to her? Do you say: You have to repent.
    Or does God automatically accomplish this when he's working on a person?
    But what if somebody believes but doesn't feel convicted? What does he do then?
    :confused:

Do really bad people have it easier to repent because they have more blatant sins on their mind which they can repent of while a normal person might not even feel like he has much to repent of. What if somebody thinks hard but cannot remember a sin in his past? I mean the problem is that most people don't even know what's a sin and what isn't. Many people think that as long as they don't kill they don't sin...

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

Salvation is free, means we do nothing to get it, if we do anything it isn't free, it's earned.

3. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: To be blunt, this is simply a paper duck without a shred of reality to it. We are commanded to fulfill certain conditions without which we cannot be saved. Those acts are not in themselves meritorious in any way, and have no warranted salvic ability in and of themselves. These conditions are thought of in the sense of ‘not without which,’ not ‘that for the sake of.’

Repentance is such a condition of salvation, without which no man shall see the Lord. God calls upon man to repent. It is clearly mans work to do, yet is not meritorious in any way. We are not saved for the sake of repentance, but neither will we be saved apart from our repentance. This is NO WAY implies we ‘work’ for our salvation in any meritorious way as is falsely assumed in Donna’s post.

4. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There are different aspects of repentance revealed throughout scripture. The only repentance needed for salvation is the turning from unbelief to belief and yes even this repentance is a gift from God. It can be rejected, but once received a rebirth occurs and one becomes saved forever. After salvation repentance from sins and dead works will naturally follow. Some quickly and others will be a struggle, but sin will not totally cease until one leaves their body of death.

God Bless!

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

1 John
    1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
    1:9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
    1:10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.

Acts 26:20
    but declared first to those in Damascus and in Jerusalem, and throughout all the region of Judea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent, turn to God, and do works befitting repentance.

Romans 3:23
    for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God

If anyone says they haven't sinned or they are a "good person" just point them to the 10 commandments.

Jesus said, "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

Psalm 51:17
    The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit, a broken and a contrite heart - these, O God, You will not despise.

We have to come to God in sorrow for our sins, ask forgiveness, repent (turn from our sin toward God) and accept the sacrifice of Jesus for the payment of our sin. Then you are saved and given the Holy Spirit who seals you in Christ Jesus.
    :godisgood:

6. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I was called to receive Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior at age 10 as I caught a bit of Billy Graham on TV while dad was watching and I was playing with something on the living room floor. I accepted in a prayer to Him later that night before bed. There wasn't any repentance of sin or works on my mind or heart at the time. Only later did I repent from sin and dead works as the Spirit lead me.

God Bless!

7. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

steaver,

Hey its you, havent seen you for awhile

Claudia

8. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Amy,

Thats a really good Bible verse you gave on repentence... but I looked at it and look at the verses before that:

Acts 26:
    18: To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.
    19: Whereupon, O king Agrippa, I was not disobedient unto the heavenly vision:
    20: But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

Notice how before it says that the Gentiles should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance it says they should open their eyes, turn from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God that they may receive forgiveness of sins?

So you see, if people are claiming to now follow God but dont do works meet for repentance that really means that they are still in darkness, still under the power of Satan...

Claudia

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Claudia, are you disagreeing with me? It seems we are saying the same thing.

10. billwald

billwald New Member

If one is "elect" then the Holy Spirit, as described in John 3, will initiate his regeneration see that the person makes the required response, whatever it is.

11. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Bill, what objection would you might possibly have if I described the system of thought you are presenting as nothing short of 'antinomian necessitated determinism?' Would such a description not be an accurate portrayal of the real underlying position of that system of thought you are espousing?

12. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hi Claudia! It has been awhile. Missed you guys :godisgood:

13. dispen4ever

dispen4ever New Member

I think I know why I've not been frequenting the boards. One asks a question in the OP, another responds, and the next person attacks the responder rather than replying to the OP. Another person responds vaguely to the OP and is also attacked.

I wonder, really wonder, if anyone can start a thread where everyone responds to the OP with a helpful insight, rather than an attack on others, or harsh criticism of whatever is being posted.

Related to that, I must ask, where in scripture are we instructed to attack, to criticise, to ridicule, to undermine, rather than to reach out in love, based entirely upon our ability as born-again Believers to offer from the spirit the wisdom and understanding of Christ?

I, for one, promise to enter these forums only AFTER I kneel before His Throne and ask Him, "Lord, what would you have me do?"

xdx, just read the related scriptures. His word answers your question.

:1_grouphug:

14. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

I noticed this, too.
    It's like those threads develop a life on their own.

Acts 26:20
    but declared first to those in Damascus and in Jerusalem, and throughout all the region of Judea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent, turn to God, and do works befitting repentance.

Thanks for this verse, Amy.

We know now that repentance is necessary. But the question is can a person simply repent at demand? Is repentance simply a choice which everybody can do whenever he wants to? Can an unbeliever simply say: I'll repent.
    Or is it something which is not even possible unless God does something in this person?
    And when you repent ifor the first time to get saved then what do you do? Do you repent for your worst sins which are on your mind at this moment or what do you do?
    And can you also first get born again and later on repent?

So many questions... :confused:

15. dispen4ever

dispen4ever New Member

I would not reduce it to a formula, xdx. God knows your heart. A non-Christian becomes aware of his or her lost estate, turns from sin, asks Jesus in, and receives all of God's promises, including eternal life. When one falters thereafter, one goes to 1 John 1:9. God saves you, He sustains you, He will restore fellowship when you call. 1 John 1:9 is talking about drifting away from God AFTER one has been saved. If you are drifting, go to 1 John 1:9.
    :flower:

16. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: What a shame that one would attack another on a discussion list. I have read back over all the posts and fail to see such an attack, unless you consider the innuendo of an attack you bring to the discussion,(which by the way has nothing in the least to do with or add to the OP), as an attack upon the attacker, thus condemning yourself. Why not just point out directly the attacker and the alleged attack so we don’t have to guess who and what you seem bent on attacking? :)

17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Well, Donna's response was called a paper duck when all she meant was that we can't earn salvation. Claudia had some sort of problem with my post instead of responding to the op. Stuff like that gets the whole thread off topic and going in a totally different direction and the op never gets an answer. I've noticed this sort of thing on all the threads. It's frustrating. :BangHead:

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Repentance is a choice. It comes from the heart. God knows your heart. A person won't repent until they decide to and submit to God. When God saves us He wipes out all sin from your life and you start new (even sins you forgot about). From then on the Holy Spirit will make you feel uncomfortable (or bad) when you sin so that you are fully aware of doing wrong. Then you'll ask God to forgive you and He will. Cool huh?:love2:

19. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

Thank you for putting my thoughts in writing.

XD -- an example given by my son-in-law might help. He had been involved in a 12 Step program seeking help. His daughter began attending a church, he began attending with her. He asked the pastor about the program and the pastor's response was: I don't know about twelve steps, but I know one -- believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved.

I've witnessed the changes in his life. The fruits of this change were sufficient to have a church elect him to the position of deacon. His changes came through a personal relationship with the Lord, enriched by continued Bible study and fellowship. His Word truly has your answers.

This is the change for which I keep you in my prayers.

20. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: OK, one at a time. :) Let’s look at Donna’s statement and my response. Is calling ones statement a paper duck, when I set forth how it was an improperly drawn conclusion, too overboard for a discussion list? I certainly did not try and hurt anyone’s feelings.

Donna said:

Does not her remark clearly imply that if we are involved in doing anything it cannot be free? Where is the logic in that remark? Is that not creating a false notion to establish a forgone conclusion without establishing any factual basis for the forgone conclusion, therefore a paper duck argument? What would you call such an approach? I am all for finding new and better ways to express an idea. Help me out here.

It is frustrating to all of us after hearing such remarks for over fifty years waft off of the lips of men and women in the pulpits, Sunday School classes and discussion groups without anyone lifting up their voice to say, “Wait a minute! Where is the factual or logical basis for such an assumption?”