1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

In the Beginning....

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Jedi Knight, Jul 10, 2010.

?
  1. Yes

79.2%
  2. no

12.5%
  3. not sure

6.3%
  4. I believe in evolution

2.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

Were the plants and animals just by-products or do they sin also?

2. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

I most certainly do believe that creation took place just the way it is presented in genesis.

6 24 hour days.

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Exodus 20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day: therefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

I believe this scripture confirms that the creation was indeed 6 24 hours days.

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps I did, but the general argument that 'evening and morning' means only 24 hours is trashed by Daniel 8.
    This just isn't true!
    This is 'Death from a thousand cuts' argument. You took a phrase that is rarely used in scripture and qualify it in such a way that your arguments begins to look good.
    I havent argued for any theological position, I've merely showed where you were wrong.
    Your initial argument was simple and misleading.
    The argument is often made that "evening and morning' only mean 24 hours. Daniel 8 destroys that simple argument.
    I think I understand the way you attempt to qualify your statment but that needs to added to the initial point you made.
    And the phrase "'evening' and 'morning'" with the word for "daily" are not used enough in scripture to be sure your qualification holds water.

Rob

5. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

What a joke! Prove it! You think just saying something makes it true??????

Oh yeah? Prove that "yom" is used in Daniel 8:11-14,26 in connection with the phrase "ereb boqer" - I will wait for your evidence! Remember, I made this statement based on the fact that "yom" is used directly with the phrase "morning and evening" in Genesis 1 but is never used once in Daniel 8:11-14,26 with "ereb boqer." Likewise, "tamiyd" ("daily") is used repeatedly in Daniel 8:11-14 with "sacrifice" and as a qualifer of "ereb boqer" but never used once in Genesis 1 but is the qualifer of the "ereb" "boquer" sacrifice in Exodus 29:38.

I hope your not bleeding all over the floor!

You have showed that you can write what you please and that is about it.

#45 Dr. Walter, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2011
  6. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

How cute.

Since you are an authority on this subject, you should know that believing in a gap theory does not prevent a literal 24 hour a day 6 day creation taught in Genesis. Of course this information would be redundant to someone as bright and well educated as you.

7. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

We should end this thread now. You have spoken and that should end all discussion. After all, we know you are much more knowledgeable than a novice like C.I. Scofield, and surely much more knowledgeable than any of the tens of thousands of those who tend to believe that Scofield might be correct.

In fact, we should shut the entire BB down and just link all discussions to you, after all, you seem to be all-knowing. I believe I will pause and thank God that he allowed me to come in contact with such a great bible scholar as you.

PS: Could I please have your autograph?

8. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Like I said, the only "gap" is between the ears of the person embracing it. There is no "gap" between Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:3. There is no previous creation that has been destroyed by God. There is no pre-Adamic race. There is no previous existence of SIN among angels or a pre-Adamic race.

9. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Robert. Can you provide any Biblical proof that there is a gap?

10. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no indication of the period of time between the creation of the heavens and earth and when God said, "Let there be light." So it could have been a second or a million years. We do not know for sure.

11. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

That is not evidence of a gap. It is lack of evidence.

12. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Like I said, the only "gap" is between the ears of the person embracing that theory. Sorry but I don't worship your god (Scofield).

13. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. There just is not any evident of the period of time between the two verses.

I am not a proponent nor an opponent of the gap theory. I believe God did it and I am not much concerned about how. I do not believe each day was a 24 hour day. I do believe the word day was used so people in ancient times could understand. If God had inspired the writer of Genesis to write a scientific explanation of the creation no one would have paid attention, no one would have understood and we would not have that portion of Genesis.

We must keep in mind what people in that ancient time could understand.

14. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

No, that's why it is called a "theory."

I have never said it is a fact, regardless of so-called "Dr." Martin's smart-alack remark. Just something to think about.

I do believe in a six-day 24 hour creation of our present world. Now, if this describes the creation of our universe, I have no problem with it.

15. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

It is impossible to harmonize evolution with the Biblical account of creation regardless what kind of gap you invent to stick it into. It is equally impossible to harmonize a pre-adamic race, a pre-created and destroyed world, a pre-angelic fall with the Bible regardless of what "gap" you try to stick in. Scofield simply didn't do his homework.

16. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Remember, that God is the author of all that science can prove is true and God did not write something contrary to true science either. The Genesis account may not have been written as a scientific text book but true science is in perfect keeping with the Genesis account.

17. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is true science? I find that a meaningless sentence. Please enlighten me.

18. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

In looking through you past postings you seem to enjoy elevating your own worth at the expense of others. People who deem themselves as inferior often do such things. You would be better served to show some humility and let God exalt you in due time. Attempting this on your own only makes you appear foolish.

I guess it makes you feel more like a man to humiliate others, this is a trait cowards often portray.

I don't worship Scofield, and I resent you saying so; you do know it is a sin to lie, don't you?

19. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

Those who believe the Word of God know for sure.

Exodus 20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Scripture does not say 'For in millions of years the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.'

Scripture says the earth was created in six days. The same Hebrew word for day that is found in Genesis 1:5 is found more than 1900 times in the Old Testament. All of these must represent the same time period... a day or days that consisted of 24 hours each.

The earth was without form and void does not mean the earth existed previously. It simply means it was without form and empty. God had spoke the earth into existence. It had no mountains, no valleys. It was just a collection of dirt that had nothing on it.

Over the next 5 days, God began to populate the earth with plants, animals, and ultimately... man.

Earth was created in 6 days just as Genesis 1 and Exodus 20 declare it was.

20. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

1. Observation
    2. Repeatability
    3. Hypothesis

The act of creation is outside the realm of scientific investigation but the results of creation are applicable to the scientific method and nothing that can be subjected to the scientific method (true science) contradicts the Biblical account of creation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.