1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

In the Flesh vs In the Spirit

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by The Biblicist, Jun 7, 2013.

1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
    8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
    9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

There are only two possible states of existence (1) in the flesh or (2) in the Spirit

There are only two possible alternatives (2) in the flesh or (2) in the Spirit

You are either in a lost state "in the flesh" and "none of his" OR you are in a saved state "in the Spirit" meaning "the Spirit of God dwell in you"

Those "in the flesh CANNOT PLEASE GOD" and it is impossible to please God without faith (Heb. 11:6). Hence, faith is only possible "in the Spirit."

To be "in the Spirit" one must be "created in Christ Jesus" in direct connection with faith not as a prerequisite but as a simeltaneous act with regeneration (Eph. 2:6, 8, 10a).

There is no THIRD state of existence, or THIRD alternative.

Arminianism requires a THIRD possible state of existence and a THIRD alternative which describes a condition that can please God by faith and yet not be "in the Spirit" but rather the prerequisite to being "in the Spirit".

Do you know the meaning of "pre-requisite"? It means it is something required BEFORE you can obtain something. The only thing PRIOR to being "in the Spirit" is to be "in the flesh" and it is impossible to please God "in the flesh" (Rom. 8:8).

Arminians demand that there is a third alternative, a third condition that stands between being "in the flesh" and being "in the Spirit" and they call it a "conviction" state of being where repentance and faith exist BEFORE being "in the Spirit". It ain't so!

To be "in the Spirit" one must be "created in Christ Jesus" (Eph. 2:10) in direct simeltaneous relationship with faith (Eph. 2:6,8,10) rather than a prerequisite to quickening.

#1 The Biblicist, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2013
  2. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Rom 7:25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, on the one hand I myself with my mind am serving the law of God, but on the other, with my flesh the law of sin.

Rom 8:10 If Christ is in you, though the body is dead because of sin, yet the spirit is alive because of righteousness.​

The two - in the spirit and in the flesh - are simultaneous in every believer. Your mindset can choose either one to abide in.

It's like an uncircumcised penis - a living righteous "inner man" spirit surrounded by condemned flesh.

Rom 8:3 For what the Law could not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God did: sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and as an offering for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh,​

Sin was condemned IN our flesh, whereas our spirits are made alive in Christ. In essence, the sin nature is locked out of our spirit and banished to our flesh. This is why we still have to die...

Rom 8:4 so that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.​

There are 2 ways to fulfill the law: 1. Keep the law and live. 2. Break the law and die. We fulfill the law in our flesh via option 2. Jesus was the only one who could fulfill the law through option 1.

This is why Paul says we are free from the sin nature.

Rom 6:11 Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus.
    12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts,

3. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

You are confusing scriptures that refer to a person who has the indwelling Spirit of God in contrast to those who do not which are "none of his" ("in the flesh" vs. "in the Spirit") with scriptures that describe a child of God who has the indwelling Spirit of God but also indwelling sin "in my flesh." "In my flesh" does not equal "in the flesh". ONe is describing an internal condition only descriptive of those who have the indwelling Spirit of God but who are not glorified from those who do not have the indwelling spirit of God.

4. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Perhaps I can explain it this way. A child of God is indwelt by the Spirit of God but his flesh is indwelt by the law of sin. A lost person is without the Spirit of God and his whole nature is "in the flesh" or controlled by indwelling sin.

Romans 8:7-8 is contrasting those who are saved but not without the law of sin in their flesh ("in the Spirit") with those who are lost without the indwelling Spirit ("in the flesh") but totally under the control of indwelling sin.

5. genesis12

genesis12 Member

So the lost person does what? While still in his or her lost state, he or she reaches out to the only One who can provide eternal life. How did he or she do that? The Holy Spirit is involved in the process of conviction.

One cannot simply step out of lost and into found without an intermediary.

6. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

I am not talking about any intermediary Person/power. I am saying there is only two conditions of man (lost or saved, unregenerate or regenerate). The Person translating a lost person from one state to the other is the Holy Spirit and he never fails, never loses one that the Father gives to the Son - Jn. 6:37-39 because every single one given/drawn comes to Christ. All other are never given/drawn. God not only chose them before the world began "TO" salvation but chose them "THROUGH" the sanctification of the Spirit (setting apart by regeneration) "AND" belief of the truth of the gospel - 2 Thes. 2:13-14

So the persons and the means for their salvatin were chosen before the world began and these were given to the Son to come (faith) to him.