1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

In the Wee Hours of the Morning

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by NomadsWife, Feb 18, 2006.

1. NomadsWife

NomadsWife New Member

Last night was another of those sleepless nights....at some point during the sleepless hours it kind of dawned on me that maybe I was awake for a reason and I should get out my Bible and read and pray and see if God was trying to tell me something... in point of fact, I never got my Bible opened. I was struck by the cover.... "Holy Bible". I realized at that point that I have never really taken the time to consider exactly what that means. Sure I know it's the "Word of God". But it's become so commonplace a term, that I fear we are "immune" as the whole import of what that actually means. I know God really got my attention with it.... He reminded me EXACTLY what the "Holy Bible" is. He started me out with the Holy Bible and then took me on to some other "terms" I think are becoming commonplace and don't carry quite the impact they used to do.

"Holy" is defined as: "Set apart to the service or worship of God; hallowed; sacred; reserved from profane or common use; holy vessels; a holy priesthood. Unimpaired innocence and virtue; free from sinful affections; pure in heart; godly; pious; irreproachable; guiltless; acceptable to God."

Bible is defined as: "A book with sacred writings."

Sacred is defined as: "Designated or exalted by a divine sanction; possessing the highest title to obedience, honor, reverence, or veneration; entitled to extreme reverence; venerable. Not to be profaned or violated; inviolable."

Hallowed is defined as: "Belonging to or derived from or associated with a divine power.... the opposite of unholy."

Almighty is defined as: "Unlimited in might, omnipotent, all-powerful, irresistible; Great, extreme, terrible."

A very clear picture is emerging. The Holy Bible is a Sacred Book. God is A Divine Power, God is Unlimited in might, ALL-powerful, irrestible, Great, Extreme.. but He is also Terrible.... I know the words carry a lot of power behind them, but a lot of us have become numb to exactly what they signify. We have taken God for granted in all his attrributes... and His Word. It had the power of bringing me to a realization of exactly what I am... a poor miserable sinful creature who is not worthy to call Him, "Our Father"... but who in His great love and mercy sent His only begotten Son to die for me that I could be allowed to come into His presence and call Him "My Father." I was greatly convicted that I had allowed myself to forget, or take for granted, the great privilege I have of being able to call such a One as God my Lord and Savior.

Again another word comes to mind... it is quite simply "Word"... so I looked that up as well: "Account; tidings; message; communication; information; Signal; order; command; direction. Language considered as implying the faith or authority of the person who utters it; statement; affirmation; declaration; promise."

So the Word of God consists as an Account of God, it is a message from God, it is communication and information from God... AND it is also an Order, a Command and Direction.... it's the Authority of God affirmed, declared and promised to us. His Sacred Book is a book not to be profaned, or violated, but rather obeyed, honored, and revered.

I was truly humbled by all that God showed me during the early morning hours... I am glad He chose to remind me of what I had "forgotten"....

NomadsWife

2. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

Often when I am awake and alert in the wee hours of the morning I regard the situation as an opportunity to hear from God.

A few weeks ago I was going through one of those routine pastoral struggles that was difficult to put down. Around 2 AM I woke up and could not go back to sleep.

I got up, went to my recliner, picked up my Bible and started to pray. My prayer was that God would allow me to open my Bible to the exact word He had for me. As I prayed, I thumbed through my Bible....never looking at it until I had finished praying. With my eyes closed, I had placed my finger at a particular spot on the page and asked God for that to be what I needed to read.

Now, understand that I am not much for most of the "heebie-jeebie" tales I occasionally hear about things like this. But, when I finished praying and opened my eyes, my finger was pointed to Psalm 118. It was just what God wanted to say to me. I read it, wept some, and went back to bed...and back to sleep, resting on the promises of God. REJOICE!

3. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

THis past week I had several nights like that. When I take a decongestant before bed, I often cannot sleep well, waking up wide awake. That was the case, and I had some of the best and most productive prayer times i have had in a long time.

4. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Wonderful word for all of us NomadsWife! Thank you! [​IMG]