1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Incident at Work Yesterday

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by saturneptune, Nov 15, 2013.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I would greatly appreciate knowing what some pastors and Christian leaders think about this situation. I work in an adult day care since retiring. Yesterday, as part of a weekly routine, I and another staff took seven individuals out to eat in the community. This particular restaurant was a buffet type restaurant. We go there regularly. Anyway, as we pull up, there was a bus from a local Baptist church parked at the restaurant, school bus sized. When we walked in, the waitress took us to a back room that had 35-40 of these church members already seated. There was plenty of space in the room, and no tables were reserved. After being seated, I noticed that some of the church members kept looking over at us, shaking their heads and making various sounds.

The next thing I know is the waitress informs me that we cannot sit near the church group and moved us over to the other side of the restaurant. Being on the job and representing the company, I decided to not make an issue of it. The bottom line is these forty or so church members did not want to sit in the presence of the seven individuals that are physically and mentally handicapped. The company is writing the restaurant complaining about the situation.

To me, this goes much deeper. It was the worst display of Christian action I have ever witnessed. Not only did I feel angry at the actions, it was embarrassing knowing these church members were basically from the same type of church I attend from the same denomination. As we were leaving, I walked back into the room containing the church members, and without saying one word, walked up the aisles of the tables and stared each person in the eye. None would look at me.

I am thinking of writing the pastor of this church and relating this incident. Would you, or is this something you would just let pass? We have had threads in the past about Christians in restaurants.

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Id pick up the phone and call him...too bad you didn't get the names of the ring leaders. What a shameful display of Christianity.

3. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I would personally schedule a face to face visit with the Pastor. Communicating face to face in such matters is usually more honest and effective. Do you know if the Pastor was in the church group at the time?

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

No, I do not. I will find out.

5. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

:tear: Did the waitress say why you all could not sit near them? Somebody would have had to explain that to me before we moved anywhere.

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed:null::null::applause:

7. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How sad. SN, I thank God you have a soft spot for the simple minded and that you could see right through these "churchy" folks. By all means, make a point to talk to the pastor. Chances are, he already knows his flock is full of hypocrites and has his hands full trying to minister to them. Be careful not to "accuse" him (I doubt you would, anyway) for their bad behavior as that could cause him much discouragement, providing he is a good pastor. He does need to know the negative testimony his members display outside the church walls, though. It should be addressed, as it could cost his church a lawsuit someday for discrimination.

8. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SN, I've started to reply a handful of times and find myself getting more agitated at every attempt. Livid would be a good word to describe what I'm feeling right now. Certainly not at you or your consumers but at the idiots who refused to share a room with you.

As Baptist, we are known for debating the minutiae of doctrine and rightly so. What I find disheartening, in this case, is the disconnect between principle and practice. We can spend 30 pages on this forum discussion the grammar behind the word lovingkindness but a group that bears our name would not break bread in the same room with someone who was different.

"And the King will answer and say to them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.'
    Matthew 25:40 NAS77

Let me know if you need help writing that letter. I have a basket full of adjectives I need to use.

9. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    saturneptune, a chance meeting of the First Self-Righteous Baptist Church, Any Town, USA.

Instead of dealing with the local restaurant I'd give the pastor of said church a call. Not that anything productive would come of it but..., besides, said pastor would recover after a bit.

Source: My Personal Opinion Dot Com :thumbsup:

10. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    While speaking to the pastor, you might want to remind him that the mothers of these handicapped persons chose LIFE instead of abortion for their children.

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    EXACTLY!!! How bout a church that ..... oh never mind..... but they are out there. generally eating their young!

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    OP stated that the ownership of the adult day care is dealing with the reastruant - so that is out of Sat's hands (it was good he reported to his boss)

I do agree he should make an appoitment for a face-to-face meeting with the pastor - in Christian love to provide constructive critizism. could be the pastor is unaware of said situation.

For once Padre actually had a good post when he quoted Matthew 25:40 NAS77 (but why didnt he use KJV :saint: :smilewinkgrin:)

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Agreed completely. One reason I know I am one of His is the fact I am so mad right now, I can envision Jesus overturning the tables in the Temple due to such disgusting, anti Christian behavior. That church should have picked up the tab for the 7 as a bare MINIMUM. I am fuming right now. SN, if you give me the number I will call the church :laugh:

14. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While speaking to the pastor, you might want to remind him that the mothers of these handicapped persons chose LIFE instead of abortion for their children.

Amen!, abcgrad94, Amen!

15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd have been in your face.

I have a question about the seven individuals. As a group, were you guys noisy and disruptive? (Maybe I should aske one of the 30 or so adults.)

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You must be kidding me!?! Your telling me that adults cant allocate enough christian sympathy & love & patience for those folks?!?

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Staring individually at 30 or so people is rather aggressive conduct. I don't blame them for not looking back at an angry guy.

I'm with you here. I think the info in the OP is rather selective as it was in the old thread about tipping. I tend to think the older thread was actually a set-up.

#17 Rippon, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2013
  18. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you ever been with a group of developmentally disabled folks? Noisy and disruptive comes with the territory. They also drool, talk funny, use wheelchairs and walkers, make strange noises, spill food down the front of their shirts and a myriad of other challenges. So what? Lepers had chunks of dying, rotting skin falling off their bodies but Jesus spoke with them, touched their bodies and healed them.

I can't picture Jesus pushing away His plate of humus because those people walked in the room.

Noisy or not, the church folk showed a lack of compassion and charity.

We could all learn a lesson....

[​IMG]

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So your questioning SN's integrity & the validity of the posts? Let me ask you something, are you intentionally attempting to agitate the guy?

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    thank you!