1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Income is Income

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by OldRegular, Nov 16, 2012.

1. billwald

billwald New Member

>>Which state forbids a union shop?
    >Right to Work States

OK. A person in a RTW shop may not be required to join the union but the employer may sign a union contract and enforce its provisions regarding work rules, pay scale, and lay-offs.

2. billwald

billwald New Member

Jesus told us to pay taxes. Nothing in the Bible advocates participating in government beyond obeying the civil laws and paying taxes. St Paul envoked existing Roman civil law on his own behalf but never talked against the existing law or against the Roman government.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are correct- but does scriptue prohibit us from doing so?

From what you are saying is that the US is a sinful nation because we broke away from England by force?

4. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

OldRegular, first, IMO, income shouldn't be taxed. That's point one.

Point two, a progressive tax table is another re-distribution of wealth.

Point three. If income is to be taxed, then the tax code should fill one sheet of paper. Personal income should be taxed at a low fixed rate on gross income, regardless of the source. Corporate income should be taxed on net income (Sales less cost of goods sold and freight expense). Corporate tax % should be low, as well. In both cases probably less than 10%. There would be a base amount, below which, income taxes would not be deducted. Perhaps $25,000 for personal and $50,000 for corporate income.

Social security and medicare should be phased out so as not to put undue harm on those without time to allow alternatives to mature. All aid programs at the federal level would be phased out. States, counties, cities and individuals would, once again, be responsible for their own lives. Communities would be expected to once again be responsible for those who are truely unable to handle this responsibility themselves. (Communities = local government, churches, family units, and individuals.)

The federal government would operate on a balanced budget. It would take a 2/3rds vote to increase tax rates mentioned. The federal government would shut down, if a balanced budget isn't approved, timely, each fiscal year. Additionally, each representative in Congress would be fined a material designated amount, for each day, beyond the fiscal year end, that a balanced budget isn't approved in the House and/or Senate. The president would have line item veto power for any expenditure passed by Congress.

This one page tax code would require a postcard sized tax return, probably filed quarterly.
    Gross/Net Income =
    Tax Due =
    Tax Paid =
    Balance Due =

#44 Oldtimer, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2012
  5. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You forget that investment income - whether from savings accounts, stocks, bonds, etc. has already been taxed once when it was earned. The tax on investment income is a secondary tax.

Also, if you want less of something, tax it more. If you want more of something, tax it less (or not at all or provide tax credits).

6. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Oldtimer

I would remind you that I have not advocated a progressive tax. I am simply saying investment income should be taxed at the same rate as earned income!

7. OldRegular

No I haven't forgotten that. In fact I indicated that I believe most corporate taxes are passed on to the consumer. I would also note that GE paid zero income tax on some $14 billion in 2010!

8. billwald

billwald New Member

>You are correct- but does scriptue prohibit us from doing so?

Baptist denominations prohibit many things not prohibited in scripture. Slavery, some sexual acivities, wine, vodka . . . .

9. OldRegular

Has nothing to do with income taxes!

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you quoted someone - would help if you quoted the proper way, so we know who said what

11. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

OldRegular, I didn't say you did. :)

I disagree with federal individual income taxes, in the first place. They were not part of the founding of this country.

Emphasis added.

Note the date 1916. (During World War 1)
    Woodrow Wilson President

Emphasis added.

Woodrow Wilson put us firmly on the path towards what we are dealing with today in American politics. Taxing income of individuals provided the funds needed by the progressives to further their agenda. I urge everyone to take a hard look at what happened, from race relations to the Federal Reserve, during his adminstration. Look at it in the light of what we're seeing approximately 100 years later, as we're eating the fruit his efforts have born.

Back to your last post. We're too far down the path of income taxes to see them reversed. Progressives have entrenched this nation in the feds greed for money. The best avenue that I see to counter some of it is a low flat tax rate on all income, as outlined in my previous post. If that were to happen, then carving out exceptions, such as investments income, then we'd start right back down the same path again. History repeating itself.

Flat tax, a pipe dream? Probably so. We're going to reap what we've sown over the last 100 years.

12. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Progressives only? What about Reagan's build up of the military and defense? George W.'s financing of two wars? Let's be fair, the income tax has allowed all government programs to grow.

13. OldRegular

That is the reason the 16th Amendment should be repealed. If the clever politicians had not started taking tax out of peoples pay check it would likely have been repealed years ago!

14. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

That was my point! :)

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm impressed... I assumed you were a neocon....operative word is "assumed"

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Two wars not congressionally approved! :mad::mad:

17. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not approved? then where did the money from?

18. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

They were approved but not in accordance with the constitution. Congress basically delegated it's constitutional war making authority to the executive branch and the "international community"

Now we have an executive branch and military high command that has told congress we will go to war when ever and where ever the "international community" deems it necessary and congress is of little issue to it.

And of course the U.S. taxpayers will foot the bill for any NWO wars now underway or in the future.

* Note, international community = NWO

19. OldRegular

No wars without a Declaration of War, then Congress could not demagogue like they have in the past!

20. OldRegular

Some "elitist so-called conservatives" are griping because the leaders in the House are talking about closing "loopholes" in the monstrous Federal Tax code. The tax code should provide no loopholes and no subsidies that benefit only those who can hire lawyers and accounts to reduce their taxes by taking advantage of these.

Ge paid no corporate tax in 2010 but submitted a tax return of 57,000 pages. That is insane!

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs...-paid-no-taxes-14-billion-profits_609137.html