1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Incomparable!

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by NetChaplain, May 31, 2022.

1. NetChaplain

NetChaplain Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wanted to share something that I’ve touched on before concerning the omniscience of God. I believe His foreknowledge of all things supplies answers to learning His Word more than any other concept! For example, since He knew man would choose to sin and that He would allow it, I find no confirming refutation to consider against the idea that this is how He chose to begin manifesting Himself and teaching His mind. Thus, it wasn’t that man wasn’t supposed to sin, because He knew He would be using it to manifest His Holiness. So, His commands manifest right and wrong (Gen 2:16, 17), which leads to manifesting good and evil (Gen 3:7).

Thus, I believe it was God’s way for us to experience Himself—by us experiencing that which is antithetical to His divine nature. It’s difficult for me to think that, how this life transpires, is not God’s choice concerning its occurrences (all for learning). Nothing happens without Him first allowing it to take place (or He could have chosen a different way). Even though it is not His desire that most will not choose His way (Mat 7:13, 14), His will (not His desire - 1Ti 2:4; 2Pe 3:9) for the lost is that they be resurrected unto damnation, and the saved unto life; neither of which can be altered (Jhn 5:28, 29)!

I’ve come to experience peace in everything occurring in believing His controlling hand is orchestrating the outcomes all that transpires to “work for good,” especially using evil to manifest good! Therefore I have learned that even if the concept herein discussed were not true, it supplies great encouragement for me to learn from God that this is His will for man to use in choosing which way we want to go—His way or not.

For many years now I have been using this as truth and it has been most encouraging to in manifesting my love for God, by willingly enduring the infirmities of possessing the sin nature, in order that His nature be manifested! Believers in Christ are no longer in the old man (Rom 8:9), and though it is in them and yet effects them, they are not considered in it, which answers to Paul’s declaration, “it is no more I that do it,” (Rom 7:17, 20) because it is the “old man” who is doing it (at the root, desiring it). We continue to see God’s nature when we see the contrast and effects of the old nature. But what matters now is that we are not our old nature but our new nature! The Spirit—via using the Life of Christ and our new nature keeps those reborn from ever again desiring evil (though we still see the desires of the old nature), shown in the lifestyle of no longer “sinning willfully” (Heb 10:26).

“I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us” (Rom 8:18).

Yes, it is beyond expressing the worth of living His way now, in order to live His way latter!

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Man was not to sin. Yes God fully knew man would.

3. NetChaplain

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the reply! That was my understanding until about 15 years ago when I realized something that His omniscience showed me. His command was how He began teaching man, by revealing what was right and wrong. Otherwise the command would be in opposition to the fact that He knew that they would sin. He couldn't reveal to Adam that He knew He would sin, e.g. "Adam, I already know your going to eat of Tree, but do not do it (too confusing). Ultimately, right and wrong revealed good and evil, so that His holiness could be seen and understood. That's just the reasoning of understanding omniscience. We can't imagine God saying "I wish He hadn't done that!"

4. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We disagree. When Adam disobeyed they after understood what they did was wrong. The knowledge they had acquired was God's, Genesis 3:22.

5. NetChaplain

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's the point. It's my belief that they would not have learned wrong and right apart from the command; and once that knowledge is acquired, good and evil can be known after breaking the command, as it wasn't until they sinned that they knew evil (shame). God chose for man to comprehend good and evil by becoming a part of it. If He didn't want to do it this way, He would have done it another way.

6. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mankind's sinful nature originates from having that knowledge, Genesis 3:22. So children are conceived having a sinful nature.

7. NetChaplain

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We're saying the same thing. They would not know evil apart from its knowledge. Which answers to why to start it all with a command that revealed first, right and wrong, e.g. they learned it was evil to do wrong. It's also my belief that the evil of "pride" was in them, and that Satan revealed it by his temptation.

The woman saw that "the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes;" which was God's declaration in (Gen 2:9), but the pride was seen before the sin committed, as she saw it was "a tree to be desired to make one wise" (3:6) to be like God, as the serpent said - 3:5).

But my point is that God saw the way everything would go and chose that way, or He could have done it another way.

8. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  9. Mathetes66

Mathetes66 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Nowhere in Scripture does it say God chose for man to comprehend good and evil by becoming a part of it. That is humanistic speculative reasoning, not Scriptural truth.

Foreknowledge does not mean foreordained. It is enough to believe God & obey & trust He wants the best for us. God warned Cain before he killed his brother & gave Cain the way of escape but he chose to follow the evil one in his murderous lies & chose to directly disobey God & choose evil, not discern it & turn away. God wanted the best for Cain & so warned him; He did not want Cain to commit murder even though God knew what He would do.

'Thou shalt not kill.'

'When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone.'

2 Sam 14:17 And now your servant says, ‘May the word of my lord the king bring me rest, for my lord the king is able to DISCERN GOOD FROM EVIL, JUST LIKE THE ANGEL OF GOD. May the LORD your God be with you.’ ”

1 Kings 3:9 Therefore give Your servant an understanding heart to judge Your people & to DISCERN between good and evil. For who is able to govern this great people of Yours?"

Heb 5:11-14 About this we have much to say & it is hard to explain, since you have become dull of hearing. 12For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the basic principles of the oracles of God. You need milk, not solid food, 13for everyone who lives on milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, since he is a child. 14But solid food is for the mature, for those who have their POWERS OF DISCERNMENT TRAINED BY CONSTANT PRACTICE TO DISTINGUISH GOOD FROM EVIL.

God wanted Adam & Eve to discern the evil temptations of the devil & turn away in obedience to God not EXPERIENCE the believing of lies & actual evil in rebelling & disobeying God's command. One does not need to experientially KNOW both good and evil; only to know good and discern evil & turn away from it. That is how Scripture shows us the truth and not humanistic reasoning & speculation.

10. NetChaplain

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for your reply and comments, even though we disagree with this issue. I agree my concept is speculative (I believe, 1st paragraph, second sentence), but not humanistic to me unless I intended it to be humanistic (which I didn't).

It's my understanding that God allowing to transpire what He foreknows would occur, is His choice of revelation to us for learning. Regardless of what occurs He has already planned it to be used to manifest His goodness.

I've come to believe that Adam and Eve did not know good and evil until they sinned and saw what evil was (Gen 3:7).

To me, this is just part of being in God's image, "to know good and evil" (Gen 3:22), because they had yet to experience them. Good is learned by contrasting it with evil, as they go together, for without the one, the other isn't known. God's holiness is manifested when contrasted with evil. He created man with the need of knowing His holiness, and of God indwelling him!

What we share with one another concerning our beliefs is at times speculative, thus how we respond is significant in how we learn.

As it has been wisely admonished, “in essentials unity, in nonessentials liberty, in all things charity” (Rupertus Meldenius, circa
    1627).

11. Mathetes66

Mathetes66 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thank you for your reply & honesty. I like your last line by Rupertus, the Lutheran theologian (grew up in the Lutheran fellowship). A wise & peacemaking summary. Blessings.

12. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. On the basis Genesis 1:26-31 was prior to Genesis 3:1-22.

13. NetChaplain

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unless we're discussing separate issues, they we're not familiar with good and evil until they sinned.

14. NetChaplain

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the encouraging reply!

15. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The point I had in mind was that knowledge of good and evil was not apart of being made in God's image. And for that matter, the fall did not take from being made in God's image. Genesis 9:6 being evidence of this.

16. NetChaplain

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see what you mean and thanks for your comments. My point is that God wants us to know His holiness by knowing our sin nature.

• Informative Informative x 1