1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Inconsistent on Qualifications

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by PastorSBC1303, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Brother James

Brother James New Member

This is one of the best you've come up with yet Craig. Of all the heresey you've taught here, from baptismal regeneration to losing your salvation along with the eradication of the sin nature this has got to be one of the most silly things I have ever read. Where do you come up with this stuff?
    :eek: [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

This is one of the best you've come up with yet Craig. Of all the heresey you've taught here, from baptismal regeneration to losing your salvation along with the eradication of the sin nature this has got to be one of the most silly things I have ever read. Where do you come up with this stuff?
    :eek: [​IMG] [​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]The name of the book is, The Holy Bible. The Holy Bible is the most read book in the world, and you can easily find a copy of it at a thrift store or download it at e-sword.net.

[​IMG]

3. Brother James

Brother James New Member

You ought to try reading it sometime Craig.

4. standingfirminChrist

Powerful Word, Friend!!

5. I didn't realize that we had a Catholic encyclopedia on BaptistBoard.com [​IMG]

6. bapmom

bapmom New Member

AndyT,

to be real brief, no...you do not then divorce the second wife. The Bible specifically addresses this. Once a 2nd marriage has taken place than there is and can be no reconciliation with the first spouse.

Im sorry that right now I do not have the specific passage nor am I in a place where I can look it up.

Essentially you start over and ask God to help you do right in the marriage you are now in.

7. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Adultery is sin against the marriage, not the individual.
    It is the sin against the covenant of Holy Matrimony, not the person.

Fornication is the sin against one's own body as it is to be kept for their spouse.

Marriage makes two no longer twain but one flesh.

Divorce does not end the life of the spouse, it only injures the marriage vow.

The marriage vow becomes broken upon divorce, but it does not mean the marriage has died.

The second marriage is only adultery concerning the vow, not the person. Once a second vow has been made, the first is still only broken due to the spouse still living. "Til death do you part" is Biblical.

All the qualifications of a bishop can be made right those which would otherwise disqualify the man EXCEPT divorce and remarriage.

A man can be divorced and not remarried and still preach, but the qualification of being the husband of one wife prevents him from pastoring.

What God hath joined together ( by the marraige vow) let no man put asunder. Not any judge, not any court, only death can end a marriage.

Of course we will soon see all those who try to meander around the solid truth, but that is always to be expected by men and their witty inventions.

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I think it's both. The reason is because the covenant of marriage is inclusive of the spouses, not separate from. It's a sin, imo, against the marriage, against your spouse, against yourself, and against God. Quadruple whammy!
    How so? If one believes that a remarried person cannot pastor because marriage is for life even in a scriptural divorce, and a divorced person is not remarried, then that person is still the husband of one wife.

9. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

bapmom wrote,

“You” are still married to the first spouse regardless of what the laws of mortal men may say, and to participate in the marital act with the second spouse would be adultery.

In 1970, the divorce rate among evangelical Christians in the United States was 5%. In 2005 the divorce rate among evangelical Christians in the United States was 51%, slightly higher than that of the general population. The message from the pulpit has changed and today the evangelical church in the United States is an embarrassment to Christians all over the world.

[​IMG]

10. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Only one problem, the marriage is not an entity, it therefore cannot forgive, the spouse can and should.

Infidelity and adultery do go handinhand, but they are not exactly the same.

Infidelity is the sin against the spouse, adultery is still only the sin against the marriage vow. The vow is made unto God, who qualifies the marraige by covenant. Though the two make vows to one another, it is still God who makes the marriage as in it then not being fornication.

As long as he remains faithful to the first vow he has committed no sin, unless he divorced her. He stays open for that area of forgiveness to take over, though she may get married again, then he should stay unmarried, but then he cannot ever be the husband of one wife ever again
    No such thing, a hard heart never takes precedence over the need to forgive.

Though the offender may not repent, forgivenees is still the commandment.
    Exactly.

11. Salamander

Salamander New Member

“You” are still married to the first spouse regardless of what the laws of mortal men may say, and to participate in the marital act with the second spouse would be adultery.

In 1970, the divorce rate among evangelical Christians in the United States was 5%. In 2005 the divorce rate among evangelical Christians in the United States was 51%, slightly higher than that of the general population. The message from the pulpit has changed and today the evangelical church in the United States is an embarrassment to Christians all over the world.

[​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]That 51% rate is due to the overwhelming acceptance of the "exception clause".
    In 1970, many still held to the virtues of remaining married inspite of infidelity, hoping more for reconciliation and that old proverb, the husband to be won by the chaste conversation of the wife.

He might run around like the neighborhood dog for awhile,, but when and if he sees she's been faithful, if he has any heart for God, he will be broken and REPENT!

12. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

It's also higher than the outside world because the church does not yet condone shacking up to the same extent that the non-Christian world does.

13. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I think we are getting away from the intent of the OP. Let's get back on track...

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Good point. Hadn't thought about that.

Your point is noble, but I disagree with you. Adultery is when a married person fornicates (has sex with a person who is not his/her spouse). But adultery isn't limited to just , well, shall we say, insert tab "A" into slot "B". Being intimate in any manner with a person who is not your spouse, in a manner which is reserved for your spouse, is, imo, adultery. If a man kisses another woman in an intimate manner, or even has intimate conversation in an intimate manner, I believe it to be adultery. WE shouldn't buy the "it wasn't cheating because we never had sex" rationalization. The spirit and intent is clearly there.

My point is that, if he divorces her for a scriptural reason (adultery or desertion), and he does not remarry, then he is, following your prior requisite, still the husband of one wife, and is not for that reason disqualified.

15. Salamander

Salamander New Member

</font>[/QUOTE]Because a man can quit drinking and never be drub=nk again, but a man who is divorced is still joined to that other half even though a divorce has taken place.

God's mandate that no man can put asunder what He has joined together.

Marriage is a living institution initiated by God: divorce can only injure that living institution, not kill it.

Though many a drunkard may have thought to marry the bottle, God does not honour a marriage against His will to join a man and a woman in holy matirmony, so there goes the same sex unions! But a man who marrys, saved or not, is still married til the death of his spouse, or his own death, then it dont matter anymore.

JohnV I think you cats and dogs are in a state of harmonious bliss over there!

I agree with the acts of adultery as you say, but then every man could never be a pastor due to the accusative spirit of any conversation being seen as too intimate by the other spouse with any sex.

Fornication can only happen before marraige, adultery can only happen after marriage.

16. standingfirminChrist

But what if it was not God that put those two together?

Many marry out of lust. Is that of God?

17. Johnv

Johnv New Member

SFiC makes a good point. But I think it's reasonably safe to conclude that, if a person enters into a marriage of their own free will, then it's a valid scriptural marriage.

Otherwise, we'd have a multitude of people who say "oh, my first marriage doesn't count, because it wasn't God that brought us together".

Just my $.02.

BTW, it's not wrong to marry for reasons of lust, so long as one does not marry primarily out of lust. I still lust after my wife, and will continue to do so until the day I die [​IMG]

18. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I guess all things are new except for divorce :rolleyes:

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Just for the records, PastorSBC et al, I do disagree with the inhierent idea that a divorced person cannot pastor. However, Salamander has been consistent in his logic, so I must at least acknowlege that. I disagree with his initial premise, but his logic is sound.

20. standingfirminChrist

SBC,

No, when Paul wrote 'all things are become new' he was speaking about all that was sinful in the past has been forgiven and God has made that man a man after that which is righteous.

I do believe God allows remarriage. Else, Paul would not have written,

1 Corinthians 7:8-9 I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I. But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.

One who is divorced from his spouse is freed from that marriage contract and therefore unmarried. To become unmarried, one first has to be married.

Paul apparently went through a divorce or was widowed one. He was a Pharisee and Pharisees had to be married.

Many scholars believe Paul may have allowed his wife to leave as he wrote in the letter to the Church at Corinth 'if the unbelieving wants to depart, let her depart'.