1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Increase in Activity

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by USMC71, Oct 5, 2006.

1. USMC71

USMC71 New Member

Being in Sri Lanka for just two years now, I have already seen an increase in activity with the Assemblies of God missionaries. I was wondering how many of you other missionaries have seen the same thing, and how it has affected your ministry.

The Mormons have bought the Hilton Hotel here and are now using it as a front to supply Visa's for more of their missionaries to come in.

How is it, in your opinion, that we can see such an increase in the likes of these coming to new fields, but when it comes to our own, we are lacking severely? I am sure we will all have a different opinoin as to why.

2. On the Edge

On the Edge New Member

I'm not on the field....yet. Fortunatly where i plan on going its a little harder to get in and thats a plus and a minus but anyways, I have many friends who have worked in Peru, South America. I actually saw this when I was down there. Mormoms bring in missionary after missionary to different places. They already know the language when they arrive (their language school teaches more languages than the US military language school)

But when a new Mormom is born they already start saving money for a 2 year mission trip. It's part of their beliefs. A missionary i know was in Lima trying to get a new visa for his stay. He was able to talk to several mormoms there who told him this is the first time they have met a baptist missionary. And they have dozens go through the visa offices every week.

Its sad but I believe we are too focused on ourselves and the states than the rest of the world. Think about this: Which topic is perhaps the least visited or contributed to? could it be the missions/evangelism one? in a Christian book store there are so many books on self-help and doctrine and such but do you see much of a missions section? There is Focus on the Family (our family) and so much help for ourselves but there aren't many radio stations that focus just on evangelism.

It is an ignorance and apathy of ourselves. The average Christian thinks he serves God by going to church, putting money in the plate, and listening closely. We lack a commitment in Christ. We say we believe in hell but our actions speak so much differntly.

3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Be encouraged. The IFB movement is the only group in evangelicalism growing our missions force. On another thread I did a comparison, and one of the figures I came up with was that we have 123 (I actually think it is more) missionaires in Japan in 2006, up from 120 in 1980.

Your field is new to the IFB movement, as you know, but there you are, serving there! I daresay that since God has sent you as a pioneer, He has others waiting in the wings to join you.

The Charismatics may be increasing their missions force, I don't know. Time will tell.The A of G has always been a strong missions denomination.

The Mormons? I find them largely ineffective in Japan, and predict they will be so there also. The reason? Mormon "missionaries" only come out for a two year "mission," so they have no long term commitment and do not learn the language or the culture. The JW's are far more effective, but they eventually shoot themselves in the foot because of their odd beliefs and tactics. (They are going downhill in Japan.)

I basically ignore all those guys, though, except when they try to steal my sheep. The JW's and the Charismatics have each done that to me once, and the next attempt by the Charismatics I opposed vigourously, and God preserved my sheep.

4. USMC71

USMC71 New Member

My biggest problem with the A of G is the perverted Gospel that they ae selling the people, who in turn, are taking it hook, line and sinker. They are beginning to have "Cell Groups" and churches spring up all over the country. We are a new force in this new field and it will take a long time to see changes, BUT in the mean while, I feel like our biggest threat is the A of G ( though I know they are not). I know who we battle and wrestle with, this is a spiritual battle. One tactic the A of G is using over here is finanacial compensation for those who join them, some even will give free education, jobs etc... I had two A of G pastors come to me and want me to train them, when we sat down and talked about Doctrine and their connections and the fact that I could not offer them some type of salary, they turn tail in the the other direction. There are a lot of hirelings out here. Thanks for yoour input John.

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, from what I've seen their language school doesn't give them enough time to really learn an Asian language. For example, it takes two years of full time study to become fluent in Japanese. I'm sure you'll find the same thing about Chinese. Be prepared to stick it out for the long haul! Asians, much less their languages, don't open up much to those short termers!
    That two year trip is actually a weakness of their methodology. On most mission fields of the world, you are actually just getting started after two years. I once read that it actually takes ten years to really learn the Japanese society and culture, and sure enough it was just about ten years when my wife and I said to each other one day: "I think I've figured this place out!"

On deputation years ago I was asked to speak to a Mormon "missionary" who had wandered into the missionary conference. He brought up that old saw about elders and filthy lucre and bragged about how they paid their own way and didn't need support. My reply was that yep, he was just going for two years, but we were headed to Japan for the rest of our lives. Silence! :tonofbricks:
    Preach it, brother. You are so right!! :thumbsup: :(

6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is really sad!! It is a return to the "rice Christians" produced in China by the same methods in the 19th century. Of course at the first hint of persecution the "rice Christians" abandoned their "profession" of faith and their "profession" of preaching. :(

7. USMC71

USMC71 New Member

I guess the good thing is that, we can already see the wheat from the tares. Those who are money hungry, will be found out soon enough. The Lord has shown us off the bat, who the enemy is and how to detect them.

8. On the Edge

On the Edge New Member

In the end, every one of us shall give an account of himself. True motives will be put to the fire and sadly alot of the works done will burn up.

Let us just keep going at it. Let us do things for the right reason. For the glory of God. That way we will have more than ashes to hand to Christ.

I heard one perspective on those who come with a watered down or perverted Gospel, These people might just do the heavy plowing and we can bring in the harvest. Only God knows.

My suggestion is to pray that God will delay these people from being able to go around spreading a perverted Gospel. Prayer is one of the most powerful weapons we have, use it.

9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting way to put it! I'll have to ponder this.:saint:

10. USMC71

USMC71 New Member

My experience in Sri Lanka has been totally opposite. It requires much more work and labor to fix what has been made wrong. Instead of the heavy work being done, confusion is caused and when truth is actually presented, many people question what "really is true".

Laboring in a society that is Theravada Buddhists, it takes along time just to disciple through Creation, the Deity and Existence of God.

I see much more harm than good from these groups. But then again, this is Sri Lanka, each field is different.

11. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Uh . . . what happened to russia?

Wan't your destination to russia within four years?

:1_grouphug:

12. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

A perverted Gospel is just that - perverted . . . I pray that God will work in spite of the evil that satan is causing through his perversion of the Good News that Jesus has died to bring us into the Kingdom.

13. On the Edge

On the Edge New Member

Let me just state this first, i don't know much about the A of G. I went on their site and read their fundamental beliefs. Through reading them I cannot agree with them all but their stance on salvation seems correct. Please inform me if i am wrong. Maybe I missed something. Again, i don't know much about the A of G.

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I may answer this: The A of G in the past was a traditional Pentecostal denomination, perhaps the best of them. They were known for evangelism and solid doctrine as compared to other Pentecostal denominations, in spite of their tongues heresy and approval of healing "evangelists" (as opposed to genuine healing by God through prayer). However, when the so-called "Charismatic renewal" began in the early 1960's, the A of G began to be infected by the false doctrines of the Charismatics: extra-Biblical revelations, "signs and wonders, "Latter Rain" theology, etc. So the A of G nowadays is a far cry from what it was in the 1950's in my view, and is filled with dangerous heresy.

Oh, and I forgot. The A of G rejected "Latter Rain" theology and its terrible "Manifest Sons of God" doctrine in 1950, but many now embrace it. Here is an excellent resource on that: http://www.letusreason.org/Latradir.htm

#14 John of Japan, Oct 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2006
  15. On the Edge

On the Edge New Member

I see, their beliefs sounded pentecostal. I didn't know how far they took it. There is a baptist church nearby that sounds like an A of G church. I just know that if they are preaching the truth about Christ then we should rejoice in it. Paul did in Philippians. Maybe seeds will be planted by it? who knows. God has used harlots and donkeys in the past.

16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, the A of G is a Pentecostal denomination. I'm sure there are still many good folk in it who don't necessarily swallow all the Charismatic stuff, and I praise the Lord for any souls they win. Still, I would not fellowship with them for the sake of my precious sheep because of their terrible doctrines. I have twice had Charismatics try to steal sheep from my church. The first time they succeeded--I was ready the second time and protected my sheep. :saint:

17. On the Edge

On the Edge New Member

Agreed there, praise God for the souls that are saved. But i wouldn't fellowship with them either. Protect those sheep.