1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Indefinite Interims"

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by TomVols, Nov 9, 2009.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Akin to our other discussion on pastors leaving ministry: In my own and a couple of neighboring associations, I'm seeing some churches having "indefinite interims." These churches have had interims that have lasted for quite some time. One not far from me has had an interim since 2005. Another has had one for about 3 years and say they have no plans to call a man anytime soon. Another has had an interim since 2002!

Are you all seeing this?

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

It almost remind me if early in my professional career when I was a temp. I worked for one company for 4 years, and was still a temp!! When inquiring with my supervisor, I was told I'd be offerred permentne employment at 5 years. She was right, but it was with another company, because I never got the offer promised.

3. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my humble, but accurate opinion, the church that has had an interim that long and has "no plans" to call a permanent pastor already has a permanent pastor - and more than likely at a reduced salary.

A man in my church has been an interim many times. He always goes in with an ending date in mind. He says that this causes them to be focused on finding a pastor. I tend to agree.

4. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Some church's neurosis is evident in their inability to agree on calling a pastor. Then again, the neurosis of their interim who refuses to commit to a church the he is obviously called too is just as evident.

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I am a certified transitional interim pastor (that and a buck gets me a newspaper tomorrow). No TIP I know would ever go in without an exit strategy. Typically, a TIP will cap his ministry at 12-18 months and the congregation is to know this from the onset. I totally agree that churches are getting a pastor at half off. One such church I know of has a local Christian college professor. They love having a PhD in the pulpit at a fraction of the price, and the college loves saying that Dr. So and So is interim at a prominent church. The other churches I referred to also figure "why bother?" They're swimming right along. It's like a cohabitating couple. Why committ to a sacred vow? They're getting their mutual needs met without doing so.

Another couple of churches I know of will not call a pastor unless he has been their interim for at least six months or longer. They get to try him on. However, it's not helped; Avg tenure of these men, including their interim period? Barely two years. Again, the cohabiting couple is an apt anaology. They agree to get married after living together but there's not a hard line of demarcation. So they cross the threshold, but nothing really changes except that which goes unspoken. They never really feel committed or secure.