1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Independence Day, fireworks and more

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Alcott, Jun 23, 2005.

?
  1. Will be traveling

12.5%
  2. Picnicking

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Swimming

10.0%
  4. Having cookout/barbecue

2.5%
  5. Sleeping late

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Will be guest at friend’s or relative’s home

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Will be hosting gathering for friends or relatives

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Shooting fireworks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Going to fireworks show

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Going to a ballgame or other sporting event

2.5%
  11. Going to beach or lake park

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Sailing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Boating/water skiing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Bicycling

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Riding motorbike(s)

7.5%
  16. Working (at my occupational job)

5.0%
  17. Cleaning house

15.0%
  18. Yard/outdoor work

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. Attending wedding or other special occasion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. Fishing

2.5%
  21. Church function

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  22. Camping/hiking

12.5%
  23. Staying indoors

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  24. Playing outdoor games

5.0%
  25. The day will be included as part of a vacation

5.0%
  26. Other

12.5%
  27. I don’t know yet

7.5%
  28. Nothing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A poll about what we will do on Independence Day, the fireworks tradition, and what we think about it all.

2. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

Because of the "burn ban" here in South Central Texas, won't be able to "shoot" the kind of fireworks I like, so, will go to a supervized show.

3. Kayla

Kayla New Member

I am going to my friend's house out in the country, because fireworks are only legal outside city limits here. We will be barbequing and playing volleyball and doing all kinds of things. My friend Lidia who is Half-German(Her father is German) and half-American (her mother is American) Will be experiencing her first real fourth. She has lived Germany her whole life. We are so excited for her.

4. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

We also have a burn ban in effect, but it doesn't include fireworks. By law, a burn ban must be in effect by June 15 in order to ban certain fireworks. It wasn't put in place until this past week, so we can shoot all of them we like.

I've got a friend coming in from college and we usually get together and shoot them. He is legally blind, so I get in the street and help him light them sometimes, even though he is a bit skiddish around them.

When is was a kid, we would have bottle rocket wars with the neighbors. I have been shot in the foot and in the head and both left big bruises, but it's all in good fun. I've also had my head buzzed by a misfiring Roman Candle.

My mother came out one time on New Year's and sat in the driveway in a lawnchair with a blanket over her. A bottle rocket flew astray and shot under and up into her blanket. She just came unglues out of that chair. It was hilarious! [​IMG]

Fireworks are illegal in Houston and the other smaller cities around here, but they are perfectly legal in unincorporated areas, like where I live.

It should be fun.

5. Gib

Gib Active Member

We would battle it out at the sports complex in Leeds, AL. Whistling bottle rockets at 20 paces. Someone taught us how to light a M-80 and hit it with a handball racket. 30-40 yards, easy.

We used to tear the filter off a cig and push it into the fuse of an M-80, light it and go hide. 2-3 minutes later BOOM!

I shot a friend with a roman candle at close range. He had on so much hair spray, his hair caught on fire.

Needless to say, my kids do not shoot fireworks without adult supervision.

6. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am shocked and appalled at your behavior, Gib. Must have been a bunch of rogue PKs and DKs.

We would never, ever, throw M-80s at each other. Black Cats and bottle rockets are so much safer, you know.

(My favorite trick was with bottle rockets — which were $1 a gross back then. Light one and throw it into the pond at just the right time and it would continue slicing through the water submerged bubbling smoke and then popping.)

"Needless to say, my kids do not shoot fireworks without adult supervision." Same here, but I had to import an adult to make sure it was done properly.

7. Pete

Pete New Member

We used to have fireworks Down Under for the Queen's birthday. I didn't care much about the Queen or her birthday (still don't), but fireworks were great fun :D Until the schtoopid governments banned them just because people were blowing themselves up :(

Now you can only get fireworks in Canberra.....Or make some REAL noise from internet recipes..... :D

8. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

What is interesting is being out of the US and wanting to celebrate it.

9. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

It is illegal in Illinois to buy or sell any kind of fireworks except the kind that just fizzle or smoke so we go to the supervised fireworks show.

Of course many people cross the state line into Missouri or Indiana, buy fireworks, and bring them back here. We usually get to here the loud booms for about a week before and after the 4th... :eek:

10. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Hope to be in DC this year for the 4th. Should be a lot of fun!!!

11. Gayla

Gayla New Member

cool!

12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I live near DC, only 4 miles away, and fireworks are legal here (in VA) but I don't like them in the hands of amateurs. I don't even know what these things are that are being mentioned in the posts here.

I usually go out in the back and watch the fireworks on the Mall down in DC from here. I can see them. I like those -- they are done very professionally and are beautiful.

Then I cringe the rest of the evening when people are running around setting off stuff that make exploding sounds that bother me.

One thing that goes on every year here is Christ on the Mall outreach. Christians from various churches go down to the Mall and witness. There's a huge folklife festival there that attracts a lot of people all week of the 4th. I've done this 3 times.

13. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was about 10 when, around New Year's, I and my younger brother were popping firecrackers in our grandmother's yard, which was in a tiny town with no ordinances about fireworks. It was a narrow 2-acre lot, and up near the road we lit a few, and once when my back was turned my brother said "It's burnin' the grass up." I turned around and just a couple of feet away the dead grass was beginning to flame up. I tried a few stomps, but it was already too much to put out that way. My dad saw us from inside the door glass and came out, and only then we remembered that her water pressure was down, so the spigot was useless. We got a couple of plastic wastbaskets and a pan or 2 (any buckets she had were put away in the outbuildings behind the house). But the slow process of running back and forth to the house to fill those pans and baskets from the kitchen sink and throw on the fire kept us from putting it out until it burned across the front part of her yard and then the next yard. Fortunately, the wind was blowing it that way, and not toward the house (an old frame house). The resident next door was an old feeble man who couldn't have been of any help even if he knew what was happening, which he probably didn't. But at the next yard an able-bodied man and his wife did have water pressure, so they doused it out with their hose. Both my grandmother and the old man next door said they thought it would be a "good thing in the long run." Being a 10-year-old kid, I didn't see that, but by the end of May those portions of the yards that had been burned were twice as green as the rest of the grass.

So that is my "bad experience" with fireworks. Even though I did fire them off some of the following years, I think I got disinterested in them before most guys I knew.

Years later I had a dog; just a stray, and we developed a mutual liking, so I kept him. One July 4 there were firecrackers going at night, and the dog in the garage began thrusting himself at the screen door and yelling. He finally busted through the screen, and as I opened the hardwood door he threw himself into the house (where he usually wasn't allowed). That was the first time I saw the effect firecrackers can have on a dog. I have read they can make pets do crazy destructive things, and if left alone when they hear those shots, they will do anything to try to find their "pack" and the safety therein, which explains why my dog tore up a screen to get to us.

14. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Alcott,

that reminded me of a time when I was about 12 years old. It was in August, the hottest month of the year here, and probably around 105 degrees outside. We were also in a drought, so there was a burn ban in effect. Some of the neighbor kids on the street behind us had some bottle rockets left over from the Fourth and they were shooting them off.

One of the rockets landed in the side of our backyard and commenced to burning the grass. The neighbor ran over and told my mother, who then sent out my older brother to put out the flames with the hose. When it was finally out, the fire had burned the side yard between our house and the fence (about 15') and from the front fence back even with my bedroom (about 30'). It is a miracle that neither the fence nor the house caught fire.

I don't do those kinds of fireworks when we have a burn ban or when it's not the right time of year.

15. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Marcia, I watched the Mall fireworks from the top of a parking garage at American University a few years ago. The boom coming several seconds after the explosion kinda takes the edge off the ohhh and ahhh factor. [​IMG] Still one of the best display I've ever seen!

16. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Marcia -- Looked for you on the mall this year but didn't see you among the millions there. The fireworks were wonderful, but a bit lacking due to no music. (The music was back at the Capitol, which we had seen the dress rehearsal the night before.) Also, they have this big white thing, which was in the way.

I didn't see anyone representing "Christ on the Mall" on the fourth though I did see the Hari Krishnas there.