1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Independent Cities

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand that down in the Commonwealth of Virginia cities are independent. That is those cities are NOT part of a county.

Do you think that is a good ideal or not.

I think it is. The needs of a city are often different than the needs of the subburbs or the rual part of a county. I also see a lot of overlap in city and county services.

What say you?

Salty

ps maybe someone in Virgina (or other state with independent cites could come up with a great poll

2. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

I don't think I'm following you.

Are there cities out there that function as a branch of the county government or something?

Our city and county are completely separate entities with different elected officials and different duties.

Is such not the case in NY?

3. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

You are correct, SALTCITYBAPTIST. I am a resident of the City of Richmond, which is situated between the Henrico County and Chesterfield County.

Yes, and no. I used to live in Henrico County (suburbs), got disgusted with living the suburban life, and decided to move downtown. Some things are good and some things are bad.

You are correct. The city has very different needs than the County. I am not sure about the "overlap," but you make a good point.

My question for you: are you fed up with living in the county and being forced to pay for city services? That is usually the main reason people decide that they like our system better. For example, I used to live in downtown Tampa, and heard several people in suburban Hillsborough County make similar statements.

Regards,
    BiR

Salty

ps maybe someone in Virgina (or other state with independent cites could come up with a great poll [/QB][/QUOTE]

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I live in the City of Syracuse (population about 125,000) which is in the County of Onondaga (population about 500,000) Therefore about 375,000 county residents do not live in the city.
    The city has a council of ( I think 9 members)
    The county has a council of 19 members of which about 1/3 repersent the city.

The biggest issue in the area is building Destiny,USA. The roadblock at the moment is reduced taxes for Destiny (since they will bring much encomic growth). The county passed the tax break, but the City council has so far rejected it.

The the city and county are seperate, sometimes they must both pass bills for something to happened. I have mentioned to a couple of city councilmen, about the Virginia independent City plan.
    Oh well.

Bap in Richmond thanks for the info
    GO SYRACUSE, CHIEFS!!!

(OH, that was another problem, several years ago, bulilding a county baseball stadium withinin the City limits

Salty

5. billwald

billwald New Member

I think that if the electronic money system collapses that we will revert to the city-states of the 14th century.

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

There are SOME cities that are, in effect, their own county. If memory serves correctly, I believe the Walt Disney World Resort is its own county.

I'm sure there are ups and downs. Each community has its own individual needs that need to be assessed in order to decide if it's a good idea or bad idea. It might work for one city, but not for another.

7. Daisy

Daisy New Member

New York City emcompasses five counties (New York, Kings, Queens, Bronx and Richmond), five burroughs (Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx and Staten Island) and scores of school districts. I don't know about Staten Island or the Bronx, but Manhattan is New York NY and Brooklyn is Brooklyn NY while Queens can be Elmhurst NY, Jackson Heights NY, Forest Hill NY, etc. as far as the Post Office is concerned, but they don't have separate governments. The burroughs each contribute a member to the city council with one as council president.

Westchester County, directly north, contains a couple of cities, White Plains and Yonkers and many towns. Rockland County, to the west, has no cities, but several townships and villages.