1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Independent Fundamental Baptist Preachers

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by jch-singer, Jul 10, 2006.

1. jch-singer

jch-singer New Member

IFB Mole,

Can't Bro. Gibbs have a job and preach too? :thumbs:

2. IFB Mole

IFB Mole New Member

Yes he most certianly can, so I admit and stand corrected, Bro. Gibbs is also a GIFTED preacher - somebody say aMEN!!!

3. jch-singer

jch-singer New Member

Bro. Gibbs is a great preacher,:thumbs: and I like what I have been hearing from this Jack Schaap too.:type:

4. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Preaching and Pastoring

Let's be careful and not conflate the two. While a pastor must be apt to teach and must be a reasonably able pulpiteer (preacher), a preacher may or may not be called to the pastorate, evangelism or to missions. I should know. I am reasonably able in the pulpit and dearly love my time preaching the Word of God, but I am most certainly not called to the pastorate. God has other plans for me and my ministry (at least at the moment).

I hazard Bro. Gibbs is in the same situation.

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

Once again, my vocabulary has expanded thanks to the Squire. I thought, "Well of course we shouldn't set them on fire!" :laugh:

con·flate tr.v. con·flat·ed, con·flat·ing, con·flates
    1. To bring together; meld or fuse.
    2. To combine (two variant texts, for example) into one whole.
    conflagrate
    v 1: cause to start burning;

Hijack and lexical aids out.

6. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I think we are all called to preach should the need arise.

7. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

RE: a view on IFB preachers

After 30 years as an BBF and IFB participant, I have heard 100’s messages ranging from Dr. J. Rice, Appleman, Hudson, to Hyles, Smith, etc. I believe there is a difference with each speaker based on the hearers needs at the time. For instance anyone who has heard Dr. Rice’s message on Luke 18, “Men aught always to pray” understand that he uses very little scripture but gives life illustration after illustration his purpose being obviously “that men aught always to pray”. On the other hand men like John Goestch “Lancaster Baptist” can quote hundreds of scriptures in a 45 minute message “, his purpose being the bible is my authority. Other speakers wish to impart a clear understanding of a topic, and yet others like our pastor are practical in their application (what can we learn from this passage?)

Our personal temperaments are subject to life’s events and therefore there are times we need to reproved, and at times we need to be rebuked, and times we need to be exhorted, and times we need to be taught, you get the picture. To say that the preaching of one is shallow comes purely from ones opinion or the fact that you had no need addressed when you heard a particular preacher or evangelist.

There are some whom as you say “I would not walk across the street to hear” but there are others because of their presentation and my temperament I would listen to and evaluate what they have to say even if I disagree with them initially. On the other hand how many times have I heard Jeremiah, Swindol or MacArthur teach and nearly scream at the radio for them to PREACH a particular passage instead of teaching on it?

I heard this story once about Dr. Torrey, he and his family were traveling on vacation and they found them selves in a small community on Sunday morning and went to a local assembly for services. As the preacher preached Dr. Torrey diligently took notes but his son (Reuben I believe) sat and squirmed and was totally bored during the message. Later that day Dr. Torrey’s son asked his father, “dad the preacher did not do a very good job, he was boring and did not make the bible come to life why then were you taking notes, my paraphrase) to which Dr. Torrey replied “son when the bible is opened everyone can learn something”.

The best preachers (IYO) are going to be those that address your needs or interests and those needs and interests are going to vary in your life. While some preachers are abrasive (Carl Hatch) there is certain element in Christendom who have their needs or interests met by preachers like the aforementioned.

Truly outstanding IFB preachers are noted for their being pulpiteers and not great expositors though there are many expositors in our ranks. As I said earlier our pastor is more practical or applicational (new word) feel free to listen.
    http://cbcponca.blogspot.com/

thjplgvp
    :type:

8. ehaase

ehaase New Member

I like David Cloud of wayoflife.org

9. bapmom

bapmom New Member

thj makes a good point. And thanks for reminding me of John Goetsch! He is a great teaching preacher......

There is room for the type of preaching that just takes one verse and expounds on its main idea. (Which is what Jack Schaap does alot), and there is room for those who go from verse to verse to verse, building a case and/or studying out every possible application of a word. Ive been blessed and convicted by both kinds of preaching.

Another preacher who I have heard good things about is Dr. Dave Jaspers. I haven't actually heard him preach, but my husband has spent time around him and has great respect for him.

Pastor Harry Jackson is another, though Im not sure if he's on the internet.

10. jch-singer

jch-singer New Member

I really like that Jack Schaap, he is a good preacher.:thumbs:

11. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

RE:IFB preachers

Baptist Mom,

I have heard brother Jaspers at the Rice Ranch several times and he is very good, but I have not had the oportunity to hear Harry Jackson. A youth evangelist that I would encourage anyone who has the opportunity to take the time to hear is Morris Gleisser I am not sure of his home church but he preaches with great illustrations similar to Goestch but not as much scripture.

Dave Hardy is always one of my favorites (teacher preacher) and Sam Davidson a pulpiteer similar to Dr Hudson in his delivery and Bill Rice III.

And there are many of the old preachers still with us, AV Henderson and Tom Malone come to mind.

There is a preacher in Wisconsin whom I got to hear a few years ago that really impressed me but I cannot remember his name. He was pastoring a church out in the middle of nowhere but I heard him three times in one wekk and the messages were excellent. I just remembered his name Richard Flanders I think he has his DR.

nuff said

thjplgvp

:type:

12. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

It is the word of God that impacts the listeners through the Holy Spirit, not illustration after illustration. That is not preaching.
    Simply quoting Scriptures doesn't communicate "the Bible is my authority". Proof texting a point is not preaching. I can't comment on Goestch because I have never heard him and now only a little about him, but I do know evangelists that do the same thing and their messages are terrible.

Some preachers though will rebuke and leave people feelling guilty but never point them to grace that is in Christ. We should not "guilt" people into a descision for they will only come away with the idea that they must change their life in some way in order to please God, instead of seeing their vileness but rejoicing in the mercy of God. Let God change peoples lives in preaching instead of creating an emotional response. In other words true preaching is always Christ-centered, it always exalts the Father, it always says look how great God is let us worship Him with our lives. When God is maginified in peoples lives and they begin to make Him the source of their satisfaction, they will live lives that glorify God.

To say preaching is shallow is not a matter of opinion. There is good preaching and there is bad preaching. That which exalts God and is God-centered is good (consequently it will be contexually accurate and exegetical). Preaching that is bad is man-centered, and only seeks to "get a response" form the audience, and is plauged with little or no exegesis, bad hermenutics and pressure tactics reminisent of Finney.

13. bapmom

bapmom New Member

4His.....

are you ever happy with anyone else's preaching? Seems you can't put in even one good word on this.

They don't quote enough verses so they're bad.........but they quote too many verses so they're bad........the impression you're leaving with me is that you just can't help being critical either way.

14. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Only of a certain segement of IFBdom that spitually abuses its people.

I explained the what I believe good preaching is. There are pleanty who fall under this, but even the best preacher has a bad message now and then.

To many people are willing to let a bad preacher walk all over them and it troubles me to see that.

15. jch-singer

jch-singer New Member

4His,
    If a mail man came to your door and gave you letter and you read it and don't like what it says, do yell at the mail man for walking all over you? Preachers are like that mail man, we only give you what God told us to and how to, so if you think someone is walking all over you, you can't just get mad and blame the mail man, right? Now don't get me wrong a preacher is a called man of God, and we do have a work that God has called us to do.

4His_glory, I'm not wanting to upset you, I'm just a mail man.:flower:

#35 jch-singer, Jul 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2006
  16. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Well, let's not pretend that all preachers preach all of what God says 100% of the time. I've heard preachers that preach their preferences as doctrine and walk all over people while doing it. Would you care for an example?

I personally heard a preacher, from the pulpit, deride computer geeks as being limp-wristed fairies. Since I make my living in IT and am a computer geek, you can imagine how angry I was at hearing such stupidity.

17. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Your analogy falls short because a mail man is not God ordained. One who blieves they are called of God to declare His Word, must be sure that what they say is correct. We are dealing with the spirutal not delievering mail.

I am more than a mail man, God purpose before I even knew that I would delcare His glory to the nations. Read Timothy and Titus and see Paul's address to the Ephesian elders and see how serious ones calling is. The pulpit is never to be used as a place for personal vendettas, or a platform for imposing one's prefferences on another.

18. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Last fall at a conference I attended I saw a sad example of where many people are at today in our christian world in regards to preaching

A man got up and preached a solid expostiton of a passage in 1 Timothy. He explained the text in a clear way, he argued why it was true, he illustrated it, and he applied it directly to the lives of those listening. I thought it was one of the best messages I have heard on that passage. When he was finished people just sat there.

Later in the conference a man got up, read a passage from the Psalms and proceeded to throw out one liners from seemingly every message he ever preached in his life. He was all over the place and never once returned to the passage he read in Psalms. It was simply a springboard to say what he wanted to say. When he was done, he got a standing ovation.

I sat there with my mouth open.

19. jch-singer

jch-singer New Member

You do have to watch out for the wolf in sheeps clothing trying to get in among the sheep. And I'm sorry that that was said, and that it upset you.:type:

20. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

:tear: Unfortuantaly this how many preachers are, and saddly their audiences go right along with it all. They are like the ones who have "itiching ears" or ears that desire to be tickled of which Paul warned Timothy. Some of the men listed in this thread are like what you describe. Sadly their consituents do not see this.

For those of us that handle the Word of God let us be ever mindful that our sinnful, borken selfs are cast aside, and the glories of Jesus are burst forth to our listeners so that the Father is magnified.