1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Indistinguishable from anti-popes?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Lorelei, Jun 9, 2003.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Grant! I am shocked! You don't trust me? Or are you saying you have not heard of the "Great Schism"?

Do you want a Protestant Historian to explain the history of this event in living color? Or would you not trust them either?

How about a Catholic Historian? Will you trust them?

Ok - this one time - I (the non-Catholic) will reference a Catholic source. The Catholic Historian and "best selling author" Thomas Bokenkotter in his book "A Concise History of the Catholic Church". P 166-169

Catholics were killing one another under the standard rule "whatever Papal army wins - that is the TRUE Pope".

Catholic Digest refers to a number of reigning popes (even when no anti-popes were present) as "wicked popes" during the dark ages. Indeed, history records some of them as real monsters.

In Christ,

Bob

2. faithcontender

faithcontender New Member

I think the Catholic church believe that they have only the right to interpret the Bible as well as the facts of History. Since if non-catholics like John foxe or even Avro Manhattan reveals the facts about Catholicsm they will not believe. I don't wonder why they are like these since they claim that they have the right to rule this present world. And i think they will do it again in the future,. They did it in the past and i believe they will do it again.

3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The interesting part - is as soon as they affirm "This did not happen you just make it up as a devastating argument against the RCC"

and then we give them a Bible verse or one of their own church historians saying it did happen - you don't get a response in the form of

"well then I was wrong and this did happen and that means that ....".

It's like the dots never connect for them even though in the first REFusal of the fact - they appear to accept that the dots are connecting - just not proven.

In Christ,

Bob

4. trying2understand

trying2understand New Member

Bob, given your history here of making up quotes, am I to understand that "whatever Papal army wins - that is the TRUE Pope" is the quote you are citing from Bokenkotter's book?

Or did you just make up another "quote".
    [​IMG]

5. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Avro Manhattan was a Freemason with no credentials as a historian, no degree of any type. He had a major ax to grind with the Catholic Church's stand on birth control and abortion. His books are sold on atheist sites becasue he was an atheist, and hated the Catholic Church. Jack Chick publishes his books because it makes him money and is in the business of anti-Catholicism. I find the link with evengelical Christianity and Avro Manhattan to be very puzzling to say the least.

God Bless

6. faithcontender

faithcontender New Member

As for Jack Chick, God will be the Judge if what you say is true. You can not judge him. As for Manhattan i dont agree with all He believes. But i find no reason not to believe what he reveals about catholicism. He had facts and documents that can prove his claim. He also cited many testimonies and pictures. If He is telling a lie, the catholic church should go to court and prove otherwise.

7. GraceSaves

GraceSaves New Member

Bob,

Your last two posts were wasted by the fact that all I said was that I don't trust your mini-paraphrases of major historical events, especially when I'm not familiar with the event, and you don't source yourself, or you provide us with one tiny little half-sentence quote out of the source.

When you move from "I don't trust your paraphrases" to "You don't trust me?!" apparently somebody hears what they want to hear.

God bless you,

Grant

8. GraceSaves

GraceSaves New Member

That's pretty interesting, considering you just said:

"Since if non-catholics like John foxe or even Avro Manhattan reveals the facts about Catholicsm they will not believe."

Apparently God doesn't have to decide if what you say is true, or what Manhattan says is true, since these are "facts," but what we say...OH BOY, only God knows!

Jack Chick claims he has facts as well. And that all seems good and well until you realize that he sources his other publications to back himself up. "Facts" are not always facts.

God bless,

Grant

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Bob, given your history here of making up quotes, am I to understand that "whatever Papal army wins - that is the TRUE Pope" is the quote you are citing from Bokenkotter's book?

Actually the "whichever one wins" statement is from Catholic Digest. The "great Schism" and proof that "3 Papal LINES" were started each having their own successors and all three forced to resign by the Emperor Sigismund's own council (his council was setup as superior to all reigning Popes) - was from the book by Bokenkotter - on the pages noted.

In Christ,

Bob

10. trying2understand

trying2understand New Member

In as much as you quoted it, perhaps you could source it.

Catholic Digest is a periodical, isn't it?

Which issue, which page?

Ron

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There is a lot of material on this - while I go through my CD list here are some items to chew on.

What a wonderful world - history. No wonder they call it "the Dark Ages"

In Christ,

Bob

[ June 14, 2003, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: BobRyan ]

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Apparently the monsters that got in under that system - are part of the story that proves just how wonderfully it fulfilled its mission.

Enjoy!

In Christ,

Bob