1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Individual Competence

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by church mouse guy, Jan 10, 2018.

1. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is said that the doctrine of Individual Competence is a Southern Baptist Convention distinctive and that no other denomination enunciates the doctrine of Individual Competence, by which is meant that the Trinity endowed each and every individual who has reached the age of reason on the face of the earth with the ability to decide for himself if he believes in the Trinity or not. That each individual can understand the Old Love Letter, The Holy Bible.

Or as the old song goes:

I found an old Love Letter that was written just for me.
    It told me how much I am loved, sweet & tenderly.
    With a broken heart I read each line of God's love for me.
    It was written by a nail scarred hand at Calvary!

Oh how this old Love Letter spoke to my heart & soul.
    I was captured by every word as I watched His love unfold.
    With special care He wrote it down for all eternity.
    It was written by a nail-scarred hand at Calvary!

I found the old Love Letter, the pages stained with red.
    I am yours eternally is what the postscript said.
    I treasure my Letter that he nailed upon that tree.
    My tears stains its pages every time I read.

Oh how this old Love Letter spoke to my heart & soul.
    I was captured by every word as I watched His love unfold.
    With special care He wrote it down for all eternity
    It was written by a nail scarred hand at Calvary!

With special care He wrote it down for all eternity
    It was written by a nail-scarred hand at Calvary!

So once Gilbert K. Chesterton, famous British theologian and author, was asked what book he would want if he were shipwrecked alone on a deserted island.

Dr. Ed Young, former President of the SBC, tweeted: "The #Bible is not only inspired and true, it’s also clear and understandable!" He concluded in this two minute video that he thought everyone could understand.
    The #Bible is not only inspired and true, it’s also clear and understandable!

pic.twitter.com/6955DGc1AI

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    certainly there are Bible basics that everyone who can read and has access to the Bible can understand.

Deut 6:4 "One God"... Matt 28:19 "in three persons" is one of those Bible basics ..

As a Seventh-day Adventist I will say that this is also accepted by this denomination.

3. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hallelujah! I think that it is wonderful to think that God made everyone capable of deciding for himself on the most important question in life..

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First off I’ll admit to not watching the video

Second, nowhere are we asked to believe in the Trinity for life eternal.

I would argue that a new believer does not need to believe in the Trinity but once competently taught this doctrine I’d expect a young believer to embrace it (and I’d personally doubt the salvation of any that deny it).

Third, I can’t find anything on the doctrine of “individual competence”.

Paul, in the book of Romans makes a case that all people everywhere are held accountable, we have “no excuse for not knowing God”.

I’d approach this by saying that people are accountable, or held responsible up to the level of light show to them (…and even with this simple test Paul tells us we all fail).

But the phrasing “individual competence” bothers me; I’m acquainted with parents of severely handicapped children whose grasp of life from conception onward has been precarious. They are incapable of decision making and wholly incompetent. My council concerning their eternal destiny in such matters generally centers on God’s attributes of mercy and righteousness not on the capability of the child.

Rob

#4 Deacon, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 1