1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Individual Election

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by ILUVLIGHT, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

No, it was a general comment directed to all. It seemed we were getting off topic with talk about unsubstantiated accusations and slander and the like. I didn't read closely enough to see what all it was referring to. I was encouraging all to police themselves and keep it on topic. [​IMG]

2. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

No, it was a general comment directed to all. It seemed we were getting off topic with talk about unsubstantiated accusations and slander and the like. I didn't read closely enough to see what all it was referring to. I was encouraging all to police themselves and keep it on topic. [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]OK, it was a fair question because my name was used in the post.

3. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Absolutely a good question. I never thought of you thinking it was addressed to you in particular. Thanks for asking; sorry for the confusion. My bad.

4. Southern

Southern New Member

Mike,

Here is what the text says:

29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate [to be] conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

Notice that those He foreknew he also predestinated. Those He predestinated, He also called. Those He called He also justified. Those He justified He also Glorified.

Conclusion- Despite your claim to the contrary, Predestination "is" a guarantee of salvation. There is absolutely no break in this chain. The same person who is predestined is also glorified. This is individual election.

5. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi Southern;
    Try looking at all those seperations that you didn't see;
    Rom 8:30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.
    It first says;"Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called:"
    do you see a colon or a double period there or not?
    Here we go again.
    "and whom he called, them he also justified:"
    Do you see that seperation now?
    Punchuation is everything if you understand it.
    In the Greeek a funny looking almost a word called "Kai" is used to seperate. and this is what is in the original Greek. This is done to show they are seperate things and are not the same.
    May God Bless You;
    Mike

6. Southern

Southern New Member

Mike,

There is no "break" in this chain, in the sense that the one who is predestined is "also" called. The one who is "called" is also glorified.
    Hence the one predestined "will" be glorified!

How do you insert a break when Paul shows that those predestined will be called and glorified?

In Christ

7. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

aCtually, punctuation was added in later. The original writings had no punctuation.

Multiple problems here. First, kai is not a funny looking almost word. It is an actual word, one of the most common words in the GNT, and not funny looking in the least. Second, it does not show a separation, but a connection. It is conjunction, usually translated "and" or "also," sometimes "even." In this text, you are dead wrong, absolutely backwarods. It is properly translated "also" and means that all of the first group are "also" in teh second group, and so forth right on down to glorification. The "kai" shows that there is no way out of this line. Once in it, you are always in it.

Kai, to my knowledge, is never contrastive or adversative. It is usually conjunctive or connective, sometimes ascensive or comparative. You can look through the 4 1/2 columns devoted to it in BAGD if you want more information.

As I recall, you tried some Greek the other day and missed that one too. Perhaps that was someone else, I can't remember. In any event, you missed it badly here. It says exactly the opposite of what you tried to say.

8. GeneMBridges

GeneMBridges New Member

Exactly, Larry.

Mike, in Greek that series is a series of dependent clauses that are linked to together. As I wrote to you previously, and on topic ...

In Romans 8:30, calling and justifying follow along as aorist tense, indicative mood, active voice as a result of having been foreknown and predestined, because there is a grammatical construction that involves a calling being a result of being predestined, and being justified is a direct result of calling. Predestination is thus one of the causes of being justified, not the other way around. This is the syntactical construction of the text. In short, "these he justified" is in aorist indicative active in a causal structure and part of a dependent clause of a conditional sentence (protasis). This means, justification depends on calling. Calling depends on predestination. Predestination depends of foreknowing.

As Pastor Larry says, there is no break in the chain at all, and once one is in that chain, one is subject to all the conditions in the text. There is not disjuncture, because CONjuctions are used here. "ous" is used twice. ("but" in English), but, as Dr. Reid, my old Greek professor said, "ous" does not contrast the way "but" does in English. The issue that helps us determine the correct use of "ous" here is the way that the verbs are being used. In this case in a series of dependent clauses that are linked grammatically in such a way that each one is dependent on the other one so that:

Foreknowledge depends on God. Predestining depends on foreknowledge. Calling depends on predestination. Justification depends on calling. Glorification depends on justification.
    If one is not accomplished, the others are not accomplished. If one is accomplished, all the others are accomplished. The use of the aorist here indicates that they both have been and will be accomplished without exception. Thus, each condition in the chain is a result of the preceding condition and 'all' in the chain are assumed, not 'some' only, not 'all' here and there and "some" in other places.

Faith is never mentioned as a condition. "These" is mentioned, and "these" are people. Thus justification of people is dependent not on foreknown faith, but the person doing the foreknowing and predestining. Calling proceeds from the cause of predestination, and then justification IN THAT ORDER, because of the order and dependent relationship of each clause. therefore predestination can not be conditional on faith. Justification is by faith, and comes as a result of calling, paralleling John 6 exactly.

Ok, fair enough. However, I posted a treatment of these verses in Romans 8 and your view on Acts 13:48 approximately five posts above the above quote, and I asked you a question about Romans 3. You did not respond, and that was certainly on topic. I'm interested in your response to that treatment which appears in this post, and in your response to Acts 13:48 and the answer to my question about Romans 3.

9. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Larry;
    You forgot to mention that the so called word Kai has a root meaning and that is a seperation. It's root meaning is "and" in the Original Greek. You can add meanings all you want to, but the truth of the matter is that it only has one meaning it's root meaning. It was a seperation. The word and IMO isn't really a word but more of a direction to the conversation.
    If we allow modern Greek meanings to invade the purity of the Original Greek. We will no longer have any understanding at all.
    You're wrong in your statement about punchuation Yet your are more than willing to use a version with quotation marks in order to prove your side of another issue.
    Just sad really sad
    Mike

10. GeneMBridges

GeneMBridges New Member

Mike,

What lexicon are you using that gives that information? What is your source material? Also, any Greek student or teacher will tell you that the original Greek did not have punctuation in it. Photocopies are available of many mss on the internet if you need to see proof of this.

11. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

And where did you get this information from?

I gave the resources to check this out. You are completely wrong on this. You have listened to someone who has lied to you. You have unfortunately believed them without checking it out. I am not a Greek expert but I have translated about 1/2 of the NT and I know it well enough to know that you are wrong.

It is technically called a particle; it is a word and you can look it up in teh lexicon to see what it means.

I did not reference a modern Greek meaning (although it is probably the same). I referenced BAGD, the standard lexicon for NT Greek. You can look it up yourself.

I am wrong?? All I said was that punctuation was not in the original writings. THat is indisputable. You can look at copies of the early NT Greek documents and see that there is no punctuation in them. There is not even any spacing between the words.

I didn't appeal to the quotuation marks in that. They just happened to be in the right place. The point is that the context very clearly showed who was talking.

Mike, You are so desperately wrong on these basic issues of Greek. You apparently are way out of your field on this. That is okay, but you need to realize it. You are making mistakes that no first semester Greek student would make. These are among the very first things you learn in Greek. You don't help yourself by these types of posts. Learn the facts about the stuff before your post your opinion.

12. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Larry;
    I wouldn't talk Larry you're way out of it yourself. I don't believe you know a thing about what you are saying, but are just trying to hold up Calvinism. I have never stated that I'm an expert in the feild at all but there is one thing I do know and that is you very clearly don't know what your talking about.
    Just because you have a title before your name doesn't make you right. You and your friend Gene have done your best to try and make me look bad however that doesn't bother me at all.
    I gave him the referrence that he needed and now he wants the page number. [​IMG] Tell me Larry if he can't read Greek then how's he going to prove me wrong? You see if he knew what he was talking about then he would be able to look it up all he needs is Jn 6:44 John is the # 4 gospel. All though the new testament in Original Greek isn't arranged quite the way Bibles today are arranged meaning books are in different locations but the four gospels are right where they are suppose to be.

Mike

13. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Mike,

You have fallen sway to the "root meaning" falacy. The etemology of a word does not dictate the meaning of the word. For more information on this topic, see D. A. Carson's "Exegetical Fallacies."

14. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

As I read this thread I was disappointed in the way honest discussion and debate is labeled "slander."

When a person makes a statement, it is subject to evaluation. Analyzing a statement and pointing out discrepancies is not slander.

It is sad that some have to resort to this level of interaction.

15. Southern

Southern New Member

I still do not even see how the argument is even valid. Call me shallow but the one who is predestined is also called. The same one who was predestined and called is also justified. The same one who is predestined, called, and justified is also glorified.

Did I miss something? If so, someone explain how any part of going to the "greek" (Which you guys have been discussing) addressed the fact that if you are predestined then you "are" going to be glorified. What is true of one, is true of all.Someone please!

In Christ

16. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I have 30 hours of Greek. I have translated about half of the NT. I translate almost weekly. I have within 10 feet of my desk the following: BAGD, Theological Dictionary of hte NT, Theological LExicon of the New Testament, New International Dictionary of New TEstament Theology, Exegetical Dictionary of the New Testament, Liddell-Scott, Friberg's Lexicon, Louw-Nida, and numerous Greek text based commentaries. In other words, I can tell you what the word means, and you missed it.

No, but being right makes me right. I told you where you can look it up. You won't even tell me where you got your information.

I can't speak for Gene's ability in Greek.

More wrong information. John is hte fourth gospel, but in the NT, the books are in the same order in Greek as they are in English. It is the OT where the order is different.

Gene and I aren't trying to make you look bad. But when you say things that are wrong,they have to be pointed out and discussed, and evaluated. YOu have shown yourself to be wrong on many occasions in this matter. Your use of strong words against us will not change that.

One last comment, when I said that coming is believing, you said you disagreed. JOhn 6:35 uses both words in a parallel structure, thereby showing that both mean the same thing. The text says what it does. We have not changed the meaning. It is you who has done that.

17. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi Pastor Larry;
    30 hours doesn't make a doctorate. In fact I believe Russell had more than that. If you have translated more than half the new testament by your self then you must be a lot older than I thought, or an awful lot of spare time for a pastor.
    May God Bless You;
    Mike

18. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I don't have a doctorate. I said I am not an expert. But I do know Greek and have immediate access to numbers of resources. And translating about half the NT (I don't know the exact proportion) is not that much work when you have had 30 hours of Greek. Greek classes are all about translating and reading Greek. But I don't know how old you think I am so I might be older than you think too :D ...

19. rc

rc New Member

Larry,

You don't have to show your creditials. Your proper analysis speaks volumes of them and those who know greek well acknowledge who knows and who doesn't, that should be enough. I LUV LIGHT, brother... Where are you getting your information from? You said on other posts that you don't allow ANYBODY to teach you except God and His Word?... Seems to me your reading other things than God's word?... hmmm But from the things that your saying is just proving HOW far you are grasping to try to hold on to your humanistic beliefs... Like Dave Hunt... going to cultic renderings of didactic texts... pride comes before a fall...

20. rc

rc New Member

Like Dave Hunt... going to cultic renderings of didactic texts...

Idiot.... I meant Redacted (Hebrew) texts...

Yes pride does come before a fall ! [​IMG]