1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Indy fundy vs. Southern

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Emily, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Emily

Emily New Member

Well.. the church that my husband and I thought we had settled on, voted in their new Pastor, and lets just say that we felt there was too much comprimise..

so, we are on our journey again. A journey that has been pretty well off and on for the past 2+ years.

We started out at a charismatic church.. I had been going there for 5 years.. My husband and I got married, and we ended up leaving not quite a year later, because my husband wasnt getting fed there, and we both disagreed with tongues/word of faith, and that started to happen there..

We have been searching ever since more or less. We were with a Nazarene church for 3-4 months, and then a wishy-washy seeker format church for close to a year.. then a non-denominational church for the past 8 months (During that 8 months, I was also, in addition to the non-denom church, attending an Independent Fundamental Baptist Church that I liked very much, but my husband didnt.).

My biggest problem, was that I didnt seek the Pastor out and ask specific questions when we first started going there, so it took a while sometimes to figure out that we didnt agree with some major things that were going on there.

This time, however, I called some Pastor's and asked them questions up front, so there would be no surprises in doctrine.

My husband and I attended a Southern Baptist church on Sunday, and we both really really liked it a lot. He stuck with teaching the bible which was important to us.

but, just in a short post, I was wondering if anyone could give me a summary of what is different between souther baptists/independent fundamental baptists..

2. dr396

dr396 New Member

Emily,

You may want to post this on the Fundamental Baptist Board, you will probably get more responses there. But essentially I would say it depends on the individual churches. I would say most IFB churches use the KJV exclusively (whether or not they believe that it should be used exclusively) and they tend to be more strict in their calling for separation from the culture. SBC churches can be found all along the theological spectrum. It all depends on the church that you are looking at. Both groups to some extent believe in church autonomy so that means that you can experience totally different beliefs and practices from one church to another. I would suggest looking at the church individually and seeing whether they are going to teach the Word with passion and with understanding. Maybe you should look at Cornerstone Baptist in Roseville. They look to be a good middle of the road Independent Baptist Church (and I'm a Southern Baptist telling you this!). But again I would post this question on the Baptist Debate board of Fundamental Baptists. You will get more responses there.

Hope that helped some,

D.R.

3. Emily

Emily New Member

well.. trust me I would LOVE to post it on the fundamental baptist board, but Im not a member of a baptist church, so I cannot post my question there.

How did you happen to know about Cornerstone?

As it turns out, my husband and I visited Cornerstone once a couple of months back with a member of this board, but it really was kinda too big for us. We like a smaller church.. we need that kind of accountability.

I really like the IFB churches despite the fact that most of them are KJV-only.. I want a church that really takes the bible, and living for God seriously, instead of going half-way, which is what I have found at the non-denom churches I have been to.

Maybe, if you are a baptist, you wouldnt mind starting a topic in there so that I more people will respond and I can read the responses?

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Em - pm "Superdave" - he is a layman at a great ifb church (NOT kjvo, hyper legalistic type) in your area. I don't know the name of it, but he and his family just love it and the balanced ministry there.

Most ifb churches are NOT kjvo (some vocal ones are) and most are pretty balanced in separation and emphasis on godly living. But they are all "independent" (duh - that's the "i" in ifb) to "buyer beware"! :eek: