1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Inept Politician Returns Favor - Endorses Corrupt Politician

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by carpro, Oct 8, 2006.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    N. Orleans mayor endorses lawmaker under FBI probe

By Russell McCulley Sat Oct 7, 11:17 PM ET

NEW ORLEANS (Reuters) - A U.S. congressman from Louisiana, under investigation by the
    FBI after they found $90,000 in cash in his freezer, was endorsed by New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin on Saturday and vowed that allegations of bribery would not hurt his re-election campaign.

"I have been effective, and I will continue to be," Democratic Rep. William Jefferson (news, bio, voting record) said as he opened his campaign for re-election in November 7 congressional election.

"It's really based on knowledge of the Congress and relationships with members, and that doesn't change."

The eight-term Democratic congressman has denied any wrongdoing and has not been charged with any crimes. But the FBI is investigating him for allegedly taking bribes to help promote business deals in Nigeria.

Federal agents have raided Jefferson's Capitol Hill office and his homes in New Orleans and Washington, carting out boxes of documents and the $90,000 in frozen cash.

Two former associates of Jefferson's have pleaded guilty to bribery charges and agreed to cooperate with investigators. In June, Jefferson was removed from the powerful
    House of Representatives Ways and Means Committee.

Nagin, who an won an uphill re-election bid in hurricane-ravaged New Orleans last spring, told reporters he was returning a favor by endorsing Jefferson.

"He was one of the few elected officials that supported me during the mayor's race, and I told him that if he needed my support, I would reciprocate," Nagin said. "Until he's indicted, I think we ought to presume he's innocent until proven guilty."

Jefferson said he was counting on Nagin to help him mobilize votes from the city's black population, which is scattered around the country after Hurricane Katrina forced most people to evacuate when it struck on August 29, 2005.

2. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Commit a crime, get a promotion. At least both sides are playing by the same rules. Iran Contra? Guess where those crooks ended up...(hint: not in the crowbar hotel).

#2 poncho, Oct 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2006