1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

inerrant text without inerrant interpretation?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by billwald, Apr 18, 2006.

1. billwald

billwald New Member

What good is an inerrant text without an inerrant interpretation?

If the Holy Spirit can provide an inerrant translation then why is the text necessary? Could not the Holy Spirit provide leadership and guidance without the text?

2. epistemaniac

epistemaniac New Member

plenty of good....

it's necessary to have a set of doctrines that are true so as to be able to discern what is false...

the Holy Spirit does provide guidance without the text, He just doesn't do it always without the text, that is, the primary way the Holy Spirit instructs us is through the text of Scripture....

this reminds of the controversy the Reformers had with the Anabaptists, the Anabaptists were trying to go with the "we don't need no inspired text now, we have the Holy Spirit" (sung to the tune of "we don't need no education", an ancient anabaptist hymn) ;) and I think it was Luther who replied, they think they have swallowed the Holy Spirit, feathers and all! [​IMG]

blessings,
    Ken

3. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

Sounds like the "first modern Penetcostals"! :D

!Now! I understand the weirdness at Brownsville!

Sorry, I just couldn't resist...

Anyway, most people define inerrancy as pertaining to only the original autographs...

That is, once they started getting copied and passed around some very minor semantical changes were bound to occur...

If only from poor eyesight, or stubborn human wills...

God watches over His Word...

And, *if* these minor semantical changes were really an issue, or at odds with His Perfect Plan...

Trust me, the abberent changes would have been excised or lost ages ago...

Of course we'll strain at a gnat of a Greek Word to make a point that has no real bearing on Eternal Issues... [​IMG]

But, I guess that's human nature...

4. nate

nate New Member

Good question.

5. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Ah, but what's the answer...?

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If anyone supposes that he knows anything, he has not yet known as he ought to know.
    1 Cor 8:2 NAS

…for we walk by faith, not by sight—
    2 Cor. 5:1-9 NAS

Daniel’s declaration:
    “Let the name of God be blessed forever and ever,
    For wisdom and power belong to Him.
    It is He who changes the times and the epochs;
    He removes kings and establishes kings;
    He gives wisdom to wise men
    And knowledge to men of understanding.
    It is He who reveals the profound and hidden things;
    He knows what is in the darkness,
    And the light dwells with Him.
    To You, O God of my fathers, I give thanks and praise,
    For You have given me wisdom and power;”
    Daniel 2:20-23 NAS

Rob

7. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

A better question IMO is: "how can the Holy Spirit provide leadership and guidance with the text?"

8. mman

mman New Member

The apostles were guided by the Holy Spirit, speaking as the Spirit gave them utterance, being guided into all truth.

We don't need that today because we have the written word, which was once delivered (Jude 3 and Rom 10:17). The inspired scriptures thoroughly furnish us (II Tim 3:16-17) and we have all we need that pertains to life and godliness (II Pet 1:3). God has spoken in many different ways, but he has spoken to us by His Son. Jesus is the word that was made flesh (John 1). We are to let the word of Christ dwell in us (Col 3:16). Paul's preaching is described as the word of the Lord Jesus (Acts 19:10).

Can we understand the bible alike? Yes, we are to be of the same mind and judgement, all speaking the same thing with no divisions (I Cor 1:10). The only way for this to happen is to get back to the word, pattern our worship after the first century Church, have a "thus saith the Lord" for the things we do, reject all creeds and confessions, manmade doctrines, councils, synods, catecisms and the like as unnecessary since God's word is all sufficient.

Paul warns "For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths." - II Tim 4:3-4

Some people don't want the truth. They would rather hear something that is pleasing to the ear like "all you have to do is believe to be saved and once you are saved, you can never be lost". What could be more pleasing to the ear than that?

What is the remendy? "Preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching." - II Tim 4:2

God is looking for those who dilligently seek him (Heb 11:6). There is a narrow way that few find (Matt 7:13-14). To find it you must seek (Matt 7:7). He has given us his all sufficient word to thoroughly furnish us in all things that pertain to life and godliness.