1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Infallibility?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Ps104_33, Jun 16, 2003.

1. faithcontender

faithcontender New Member

The point is that all who claim to be true church of Christ wether they are so called baptist, catholic, methodist and others and yet fail to meet the standard of a christian church in matters of doctrine and practice should be rejected.

We have to be careful, for in the last days many false prophets will arise.

Matthew
    15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? 7:17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

7:18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good

2. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God says, "Jesus is accursed"; and no one can say, "Jesus is Lord," except by the Holy Spirit. 1 Corinthians 12:3

Catholics and the Catholic church have been faithfully proclaiming "Jesus is Lord" for 2000 years. Must be the Holy Spirit.

God Bless

3. faithcontender

Kathryn,

Is it also by the Holy Spirit that the Catholic church killed many non-catholics?

4. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Is it also by the Holy Spirit that the Catholic church killed many non-catholics?

I don’t know. I do know that the word of God tells us that no one speaking by the Spirit of God says, “Jesus is accursed,” and no one can say “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit. People like Nero, Hitler, etc. did not proclaim “Jesus is Lord”, as the Catholic Church faithfully does. This presents a problem to anyone claiming she is the anti-Christ. The word of God says this is the Holy Spirit.

God Bless

5. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

No problem, Thess. [​IMG] I understand.

Neal

6. faithcontender

Kathryn,

I'm speaking of the catholic church who killed many Donatists, Albigenses, Waldenses, Anabaptists and many others. Is this the catholic church you are talking about?

7. LaRae

LaRae Guest

You are conveniently ignoring the MANY other Churches who have participated in killing others (including Catholics).

Funny thing happens when you start pointing that finger of blame...it often ends up pointed right back at you.

LaRae

8. GraceSaves

GraceSaves New Member

The Catholic Church is universal, and the universal Church, which is holy, is not responsible for the individual sins of its members, though it certainly suffers because of them. Rather, you are speaking of the "Catholics" who killed people of other faiths, contrary to the One True Faith.

God bless,

Grant

9. faithcontender

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by faithcontender:
    Kathryn,

I'm speaking of the catholic church who killed many Donatists, Albigenses, Waldenses, Anabaptists and many others. Is this the catholic church you are talking about?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was not some of the catholics but the whole catholic church in that period set up the inquisition. It was set up by the the papacy.

The catholic church as a whole with the approval of the pope killed these "heretics".

10. GraceSaves

GraceSaves New Member

It was not some of the catholics but the whole catholic church in that period set up the inquisition. It was set up by the the papacy.

The catholic church as a whole with the approval of the pope killed these "heretics".
    </font>[/QUOTE]Bold statement. How about some source documents testifying to the universality of the approval of the deaths of these people. I mean, that is your assumption above.

God bless,

Grant

11. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

I can not buy "Trail of Blood" type history. Dr. Carrol is not a real historian. This distortion of history is not substantiated in the academic world. I know that the Church has defended the faith as it was called to do, against heretics who denied the divinity of Jesus Christ and sought to tear the church apart with falshoods. Heretics who taught people to starve themselves to death because the body is evil, heretics who taught people not to have children because all the physical was evil, etc. All these groups came out of the Catholic Church.

The Catholic clergy in the east basically became Arian. It was the western half of the Catholic Church that held the one true faith alone, until the east cleaned up its clergy and returned to the one true faith. Orthodoxy acknowleges this. Interestingly these splinter groups called the Catholic Church the anti-Christ as they left her. I know Baptists like to look at Arians and other heretic groups as their forefathers, but they are no more Baptist forefathers than the man in the moon.

So, do you guys not accept the word of God as true? You change the subject, and don't address the issue of if God's word is true. Like I say, this is a problem because the Anti-Christ doesn't confess belief in Jesus Christ as Lord, Redeemer, and Savior. You can say that maybe we don't believe it, but you still have to accept that the word of God tells us that "No one can say, "Jesus is Lord" accept by the Holy Spirit.

God Bless

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Glad to see that you accept that there are and were many Catholics that are heretics.
    DHK

13. faithcontender

It is a fact of history that the papacy set up inquistion and approved the killing of "heretics".

http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/refpages/refarticle.aspx?refid=761552909

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

1Tim.1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

Gal.2:11 But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed.

Paul and Peter had sinned. Paul was the chief of all sinners. They admitted their infallibility. They would never qualify as popes. I guess Peter should have thrown away those keys according to Catholic theology. Also remember the bickering among the disciples (including Peter) about who should be the greatest? No sin there, was there? Wasn’t it Peter who denied the Lord three times?
    DHK

[ June 17, 2003, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: DHK ]

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Since this thread (for lack of a better word) began with the subject of infallibility, it should be pointed out that RCC infallibility applies only to statements made ex cathedra. In the entire history of the RCC I think I can cound the number of ex cathedral statements on less than one hand.

The inference that the RCC claims to be infallible in all spiritual matters is a lie that is spread by anti-catholics on this board. Normally, I'd say that it's an honest error in one's understanding, but the error has been corrected so many times, the only conclusion is that people are choosing to spread this lie to attack the RCC. Criticize if you must, but please refrain from lying.

16. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Role of Heresy in History (Catholic Encyclopedia)
    God Bless

17. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Tolerance and Cruelty (Catholic Encyclopedia)

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

During thirty-four years, and in the course of innumerable journeys, he preached the Gospel from East to West, and converted great numbers of his countrymen. The result was more terrible persecutions, which were continued through successive reigns. Foremost in this work we find the Emperor Leo, the Patriarch Nicephorus, and notably the Empress Theodora. Under the latter it was affirmed, says Gibbon, "that one hundred thousand Paulicians were extirpated by the sword, the gibbet, or the flames." It is admitted by the same historian that the chief guilt of many of those who were thus destroyed lay in their being Iconoclasts.[4] The sanguinary zeal of Theodora kindled a flame which had well-nigh consumed the Empire of the East. The Paulicians, stung by these cruel injuries, now prolonged for two centuries, at last took up arms, as the Waldenses of Piedmont, the Hussites of Bohemia, and the Huguenots of France did in similar circumstances. They placed their camp in the mountains between Sewas and Trebizond, and for thirty-five years (A.D. 845 – 880) the Empire of Constantinople was afflicted with the calamities of civil war. Repeated victories, won over the troops of the emperor, crowned the arms of the Paulicians, and at length the insurgents were joined by the Saracens, who hung on the frontier of the Empire. The flames of battle extended into the heart of Asia; and as it is impossible to restrain the ravages of the sword when once unsheathed, the Paulicians passed from a righteous defense to an inexcusable revenge. Entire provinces were wasted, opulent cities were sacked, ancient and famous churches were turned into stables, and troops of captives were held to ransom or delivered to the executioner. But it must not be forgotten that the original cause of these manifold miseries was the bigotry of the government and the zeal of the clergy for image-worship. The fortune of war at last declared in favor of the troops of the emperor, and the insurgents were driven back into their mountains, where for a century afterwards they enjoyed a partial independence, and maintained the profession of their religious faith.
    Wylie, A History of Protestantism, Chapter 8.of Vol. I
    hISTORY OF PROTESTANTISM
    DHK

19. JFS

JFS New Member

I know that I do not post that often here. So I hope you will bare with me. I read the article which was presented and found no were in it that the Pope approved killing heritics. He approved torcher though. Another interesting note about the article that I am sure our separated betheren would rather not discus is this quote:
    Thank you for your attention
    God Bless you all

John Secker

20. thessalonian

thessalonian New Member

See John's post above. If the shoe fits where it. The Catholic Church fully recognizes the words of Peter and Paul as infallible even though they sinned. It fits exactly with our concept on infallibility. We do not say popes are impecable. By the way in case you didn't know Peter does qualify as a Pope and is listed as such.

[ June 17, 2003, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: thessalonian ]