1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Infant Baptism

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by padredurand, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the grand scheme of things:

"Whatsoever is not of faith is sin"

Teaching any sort of salvation by works is putting a millstone around one's neck.

Jesus paid it all--there is nothing we can do for ourselves or for anyone else but preach Jesus Christ and Him crucified.

Selah,

Bro. James

2. scooter

scooter New Member

padredurand wrote,
    What matters is that we are obedient to the commands and principles set forth in Scripture. So what you have to determine is which practice is biblical, infant baptism or believer's baptism. It doesn't really matter what a specific denomination teaches; however, we would be foolish to disregard the teachings of godly men who have gone before us. All denominations and men for that matter, run the risk of blindly adhering to traditions, ultimately giving them the same authority as God's word. Be a Berean! [​IMG]

3. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

What other man would you suggest I identify with? We are all flawed. Outside of Jesus, who is 100% correct on 100% of doctrine? Remember Paul rebuking Peter? Martin Luther certainly wasn't 100% correct and neither was Calvin. We need to be like the Bereans (Acts 17:11)and examine teachings in light of Scripture. </font>[/QUOTE]Have you tried "identifying with Jesus", It works for me 100%, 24 X 7 X 365.

The point being, don't put your faith and trust in the teachings of any man besides Jesus. His apostles attempted, and successfully, to explain Jesus and His teachings. No one else is needed for your personal salvation.

4. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello padredurand.

I too have assisted infant baptisms when I was a member of a Church of England congregation even though I think it error. For the same reason as you give. It is not worthy subject for division.

Buy! All the Reformation stuff is free online. God has equipped His people like never before.

It is God that teaches. What we believe is due to Him alone. This is Calvinist. We are called to love our brothers and sisters and what better place than here to show that love? It is Him that makes us to be different. Calvinists should remember this. When we get irate over other peoples beliefs we forget that we are having a go at God. When we get annoyed at anybodies behaviour we are showing that at God. 2 Sam 16:11 David then said to Abishai and all his officials, "My son, who is of my own flesh, is trying to take my life. How much more, then, this Benjamite! Leave him alone; let him curse, for the LORD has told him to. 12 It may be that the LORD will see my distress and repay me with good for the cursing I am receiving today."
    When we can view the world in this way then we can love our neighbour as ourselves. To know that what they do and say and how they act is decreed by God is a great release. It allows us to see behind the event and trust that God knows what He is doing with us in that event because He is controlling everyone.
    This is another reason I do not get upset over infant baptism.

johnp.

5. scooter

scooter New Member

If you'll take a look at my initial statement, I said, "Outside of Jesus."

6. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

7. corinne

corinne New Member

i am not a Calvinist, I'd probably be closer (according to some ) to Arminius than Calvin, but I definitely would not baptize infants. that is why I feel comfortable with the baptist denomination, because I believe that baptism is a decision too important for a child to understand the meaning of it.

Corinne

8. corinne

corinne New Member

i do not totally adhere to the Arminian theology but being closer to being an arminian than a calvinist, I would say that infants should never be baptized like they are in the Catholic Church for example.

Corinne
    http://www.christianresistance.com

9. cadillac

cadillac New Member

Baptism and Holy Communion are the means of grace and to be baptised and take Holy Communion is to be saved and to have one's salvation sustained.
    No one is saved by Baptist "decision theology" or altar calls or "making a decision for Christ" or any other of these contrived Baptist doctrines.

10. cadillac

cadillac New Member

And yes, all infants should be baptized for salvation. There is no such thing as an "age of accountability."

11. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvin didn't go that far. He held baptism, as in circumcision, to be a sign. The only effects were a ceremony and a wet baby.

Augustine? Luther? Earlier church fathers? Fill me in. (I promise not to jump all over you and yell Wrong! Wrong! but other's might)

Backtrack a few posts and find the one about bar/bat mitzvahs. 13 for boys, 12 for girls. What age for confirmation in churches that practice it: 12-13?

Are unbaptized infants condemned then from your point of view? Texts?