1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Infant Salvation

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ReformedBaptist, Aug 13, 2007.

1. charles_creech78

charles_creech78 New Member

God bless you Brother Bob and Reformbaptist. I will pray for both of you.

2. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Amen, I agree. I don't recall a verse that tells us where the babies are in heaven. And I think you point about mentally handicapped people is a good one. I think the same principles I have been discussing here apply. When Spurgeon went to answer the reason why he thought infants are saved (after he described how) he said, "First, we ground our conviction very much upon the goodness of the nature of God. "

And that is exactly what you have done, and what I have done as well.

Your brother in Christ,
    RB

3. ReformedBaptist

Thanks, I need it!

4. moondg

moondg Member
    Site Supporter

5. ReformedBaptist

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I was trying to show the corrolation between "remains" (meno) which means to stay and not depart from, and how that applies to mankind. Jesus told them that their sin does not depart from them. When Adam sinned, his sin remained with him, it wasn't passed on to all of mankind. The consequences of that sin (sin nature) did, along with the first death, but that's it. We are not born into this world spiritually dead, as Augustinian original sin teaches. The soul that sins dies...we die spiritually when we sin. For an infant to be born spiritually dead, he would have to be guilty of Adam's sin, which I have shown is not the case, as Adam's sin "remained"...stayed with him.

7. ReformedBaptist

Ok, I see the connection you are trying to make. I do not think that can be taken from John 9, and I believe its an improper application of this passage, but I see the connection you are tying to make. Thanks for the clarification.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

So only their sin remained...and Adam's was passed on :confused:

9. ReformedBaptist

No, what I am saying is that John 9 is not addressing the doctrine of original sin. However, it is addressing a specific sin of those Pharisees. I think its a misapplication of this passage to take their willful sins and make generalizations about the doctrine of original sin.

The doctrine of original sin is taught in Scripture, and that clearly, in other passages and in no way constradicts or conflicts with what is written in John 9. That's all I was saying.

10. Dewey Sturgell

Dewey Sturgell New Member

Dear Brothers I looked up the scriptures that have the word infants and infant out of the strongs exhaustive concordance and these are the scriptures that was listed 1Samaul 15:3 Now go and smite amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not, but slay both man and women,INFANT and suckling,ox and sheep, cameland ass Isaiah 65:20 There shall be no more thence an INFANT of days an old man that hath not filled his days:for the child shall die an hundred years old but the sinner being an hundred years old shall be accursed. Job3:16 or as an hidden untimely birth i had not been:as INFANTS which never saw light. Hosea13:16 Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God:they shall fall by the sword:thier INFANTS shall be dashed in pieces, and thier women with child shall be ripped up. Luke18:15 and they brought unto him also INFANTS, that he would touch them: but when his disciples saw it, they rebuked them. Luke18:16 But Jesus called them unto him, and said, suffer little children to come into to me, and forbid them not: for of such is the Kingdom of God. Luke18:17 verily i say unto to you, Whosoever shall not recieve the Kingdom of God as a little child shall in no wise enter there in. Brothers this is all I could find, which is not some mans idea of the bible but of the spirit, which from these scriptures we see that unless we become as a little child (INFANT) we our selves will not enter there in ,. let God be true , may God bless you all.amen

11. moondg

moondg Member
    Site Supporter

I did not say the discussion was not warranted. I said I do not believe we are still talking about it. If you look at my posts I have been a member since 1/2004 I have 33 posts.
    The reason this is, because people that are supposed to be like minded (Baptist) Christians. Would have to debate over some of the things we do. I love to debate but you would think everyone would agree on this topic.
    I can not believe Christians would think that a aborted baby would go to HELL. I know someone will say a aborted baby has not been mentioned. What is the difference not born yet or 1 year old.

12. 4boys4joys

4boys4joys New Member

I agree with you moondg. It is beyond my comprehension that anyone would think an aborted baby would go to hell. So many here have given verses that could be applied or interpreted to make someone believe this. But in this case it would be nice to see clear literal scripture on this.

13. ReformedBaptist

Oh, ok brother. I understand now. :)

14. ReformedBaptist

Here are some Scriptures that allude to the belief that the children of believers will be saved:

LUK 18:15 And they brought unto him also infants, that he would touch them: but when his disciples saw it, they rebuked them. 16 But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.

ACT 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. 39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Therefore, the WCF says, "Elect infants, dying in infancy, are regenerated, and saved by Christ, through the Spirit."

Other Scripture may be considered also,

1 Cor 7:14 For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.

King David said of his infant child he lost,

"He answered, "While the child was still alive, I fasted and wept. I thought, 'Who knows? The LORD may be gracious to me and let the child live.' 23 But now that he is dead, why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I will go to him, but he will not return to me." 2 Sam 12:22-23

The Scripture is scant on the subject, and I can't say directly answers the question. But it does give hope and comfort to the hearts of believers. And as I said before, the Calvinist system best fits the doctrine of infant salvation.

15. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dear Brother Reformed Baptist:

Thank you for citing those Scriptures, but I think that they refer not to eternal salvation, but to timely salvation.

I believe that all infants, whether they belong to believers, or to unbelievers, to the elect or the unelect, are eternally saved.

That is, God in His omniscience and great mercy and Him being a just God, had known who among all infants that will ever be born will die at infancy or in the womb, and as such had them covered with the blood of the Eternal Lamb of God slain from the foundation of the world.

Everyone of these infants were and are tainted with the sin of Adam, without a doubt, and as the Bible declares, they are "speaking lies from the womb", or such, but nevertheless the Scriptures very clearly state that at the Great White Throne everyone of the unjust will be judged based on the works they have done on this earth and in this plane called time, a plane on which these infants and like innocents did not grow up in.

The Lord Jesus Christ without a doubt looked upon those "little children" the way we look at little children: with love and great wonder at their innocency of actions and minds, and though they may indeed act or talk in a way that shows their fallen nature, yet the Lord Jesus says "of such" are those in the kingdom of heaven.

16. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Hello board,

Once we got past Calvinism, this became a good thread. :)

I'm holding back for a few more pages. I want to ask something that will lead to other things later. Just two things now.

When does a person become a non-believer?

In Romans 3..the Greek word "ou" is used 8 times. What does this word mean?

As the old song said..ou + ou = ?

17. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Must be a really old song as I don't remember it! :laugh:

Okay, serious question:

Reformed Baptist, what is the WCF?

18. charles_creech78

charles_creech78 New Member

I am just wanting to know . Where is that scripture that said they are lieing from the womb. please can you give me this verse. Thanks

19. moondg

moondg Member
    Site Supporter

Psa 58:3The wicked are estranged from the womb: they go astray as soon as they be born, speaking lies
    This is all I could find.

20. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

that would be the one.

is speaking lies a sin?