1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Instrumental Trance/Techno

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Joman, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Joman

Joman New Member

Any information about this kind of music? What negative effect can produce?

2. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

Why would you think it would produce a negative effect? Granted a majority of people who listen to it are into using drugs like ecstacy but that doesn't mean everyone who likes the music is into that sort of lifestyle. I'm just curious what has you asking about trance/techno music.

3. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

Well, I know the only time I listened to it was when I was either doing acid or "rolling" on X. It is the type of music that makes your body want to move so it highly appeals to the flesh.

When I first got saved...I didn't see anything wrong with this music because most of it doesn't have words. However, I finally gave it up because it made me long for my old lifestyle of partying.

This is probably a highly debatable topic. I know many people will say there is nothing wrong with it. A lot of it simply depends on why you want to listen to it because of its close ties to the Rave/X lifestyle.

4. Joman

Joman New Member

Well, in my society this music is related to drugs, inmorality (rave parties) and i wanted to know if it's because of the dance or if this music has some subliminal message or something like that.

I like the music, i have a few mp3 to hear in private...but i'm just wondering if there are some REAL FACTS about the "dangers" "risk" of this music.

5. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

Ok, at the risk of sounding really legalistic here (I'm not) let me make this suggestion. Read your Bible and pray for a while. Focus on God. THEN, listen to the music for a while. THEN read your Bible and pray for a while. If you have difficulty getting back "into the Word" that may be an answer.

But I would not be dogmatic here. "Try the spirits..."

Col 3:15, "Let the peace of God rule in your hearts..."

6. Joman

Joman New Member

rjprince, interesting "Method" that applies to other things other than music right?

For example going to sixflags....

7. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

I like the music to work out too. It doesn't make me want to do drugs, it just makes me move fast. I don't think there is a sumliminal message in it. I do wonder why they call it "trance", however. hmmmmmmm.

8. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

Joman,

Again, I state that I would not be dogmatic on this as a method. Nor would I say that it is WRONG to listen to that music. I have a wide variety in my music tastes, but have not developed a taste for Techno.

Certainly there are things that are right and wrong. As far as music alone, I would say it is either good or bad music, not right or wrong music.

But as has been noted, music can have a powerful effect on a person.

I would STRONGLY CONTEND THAT COL 3:15 should be used as a test! If God is prompting you that it is wrong, leave it alone! If you have peace about something that Scripture does not speak to, either directly or indirectly, go ahead, it is in the realm of Christian liberty in my opinion.

9. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

I agree with you all the way on that rjprince!

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Joman, the "trance" part should be a red flag for the Christian:
    Found online in the public domain at :
    http://www.moodbook.com/music/trance.html#history-and-evolution

HankD

11. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The style is very repetitive and boring. Therefore it can support someone allowing their mind to wander and then "go numb". Just as "idle hands do the Devil's work," idle minds are then open to evil sugggestion. This is the same with meditation and yoga. I might even suggest that folks who are "hooked" on workouts are doing the same thing. It's all about allowing something else to take over your mind and thoughts, like being intoxicated.

I've always said that it's not the music per say that is wrong, but what you do with it.

12. Joman

Joman New Member

Thanks everybody!! Great posts!