1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Intelligent Design under attack

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Eric B, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

Problem is, there are no specific science courses in lower grades, but random naturalism is still tught then. Actually, even though they may label it with this title of "qualifiable science", but it ends up becoming philosophical as well. Once again, this one philosophy becomes the mandate by default, because of this "qualification".
    Why does an assumption that matter just appeared and developed into the universe by itself belong there, then?
    Those are not the same thing, because a round earth is clearly observable to anyone who has travled around it. (actually, relativity theory acknowledges that the earth technically still could be considered the center of the universe, because it's all relative to the frame of reference).

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

In my biological evolution class, one of the subtopics we stidied was problems with the darwinian views. The problems were discussed, such as the existence of gaps, etc. In fact, my oldest daughter told me they discussed the same thing in high school when studying the same topic. It makes me question those to continually rail the notion that it is taught as fact as a rule.

3. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

The fact that an ID theory is not allowed, and people are railing against it as just some mythical "religious nonsense" conveys an attitude that their theory is proven fact. It is extremely rare to see these admissions that you describe.

4. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Paul of Eugene

I see you still haven't learned anything about thermodynamics! :D

5. OldRegular

If fossils were not formed quickly they would not form at all, they would simply decay or be consumed by other life-forms.

6. OldRegular

That's actually untrue. Microevolution has been observed copiously. Macroevolution has been predicted, and observations matching those predictions have been documented, though macroevolution as a whole has, as far as I know, not been observed as a whole.

</font>[/QUOTE]Micro-evolution is not macro-evolution which is what is commonly taught as evolution. There are some who now incorrectly claim micro-evolution leads to macro-evolution since other theories are being discredited.

7. OldRegular

8. Daisy

Daisy New Member

What is the theory of ID? How can it be used in research?

OldRegular, what is the 2LoT? How does it preclude evolution?

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

When I was a young YEC'er myself, YEC's used to claim that microevolution was wrong. They since had to change their tune, because microevolution has now been observed and documented. It's just a long list of changes that the YEC community has had to make in their view in the last 100 or so years. YEC'ers now state that microevolution is not macroevolution, which is technically true. YEC'ers used to state that speciation was an impossibility, yet, when speciation became observed and documented, they one again changed their tune and raised the bar. I believe the current bar has been raised to development of "kind", though "kind" has been left open. If Geniation (a change in genus, which is above species) is observed, the YEC comunity will no doubt redefine "kind" to exclude genus change as evidence.

10. OldRegular

If people want to put their faith in the atheistic concept of evolution rather than Faith in a Creator God nothing I could say would change their mind. However, people should understand that according the concept of evolution there is no God and only the material exists.

There is a passage of Scripture that seems appropriate:

2 Timothy 4:1-5
    1. I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;
    2. Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
    3. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
    4. And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

5. But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.

11. OldRegular

quote:
    Originally posted by Johnv:
    What scientists have tried to spontaneously create something? Was it Dr. Frankenstein?

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I don't put religious faith in any science at all. Not evolution, not plate techtonics, not genetics, not the theories and laws of motion, etc. That doesn't change the fact that ID is not science, and has no place in the science classroom. A philosophy class, sure, but a science classroom, no.
    Only to the extent that plate techtonics says there is no God, genetics says there is no God, theories of law and motion say there is no God, etc.

13. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

No, I think Dr. Frankenstein dealt with the reanimation of dead tissue. And by the way, it's pronounced FRAHNG-ken-steen!

14. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

I also forgot to address this pertinent point from Paul of Eugene:
    So discovery that there is no credible evidence for God, and much of what the Bible says is not really true, is a fulfillment of Biblical prophecy? :eek:
    Only in the sense that this might be apart of the "strong delusion" also foretold in prohecy. (2 Thess.2:11)
    Daniel does not even tell us that this "knowledge" is a good thing, or necessarily truth. Most understand it in light of 2Tim.3:7: "ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of truth"