1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Intentional Lying

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Jamal5000, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Matthew 16:24

Matthew 16:24 New Member

What is your definition of intentionally?
    Regardless, if you are in the heat of the moment, you intended to commit a sin. If not what were your intentions?
    For example, I come home and find my wife cheating on me and murder them both. At that time I intended to cause them both bodily harm (a sin). After I cool down, I may say I didn’t mean it, but that does not negate the fact that I was angry at that moment and what my intentions were. Most likely my emotions and what I wanted to do took priority over reasoning.

You may be confused with, can you sin ignorantly?

How can you lie unintentionally? Can you give me an example?

2. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Same way you kill unintentionally, out of the passion or emotion of the moment. </font>[/QUOTE]When you tell a lie without realizing that its a lie. You tell someone something that you thought was true, but you later learn from that person that you told them a lie. It was an "accident."

I wonder if we lie when we don't answer our Caller ID if someone we don't want to talk to calls?
    </font>[/QUOTE]If we pass on information that we believe is true, then we are not guilty of lying. Lying by definition means that we seek to mislead someone else and that we know what we are saying is false. If we believe what we say is true and then we later find out it was not true, we should apologize to the person(s) involved, even though we did not intend to deceive.

3. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

What is your definition of intentionally?
    Regardless, if you are in the heat of the moment, you intended to commit a sin. If not what were your intentions?
    For example, I come home and find my wife cheating on me and murder them both. At that time I intended to cause them both bodily harm (a sin). After I cool down, I may say I didn’t mean it, but that does not negate the fact that I was angry at that moment and what my intentions were. Most likely my emotions and what I wanted to do took priority over reasoning.

You may be confused with, can you sin ignorantly?

How can you lie unintentionally? Can you give me an example?
    </font>[/QUOTE]Human actions are never simply the acting out of rational thought.

Actions are caused by:
    1. Instinct
    2. Emotion
    3. Rational Thought
    4. Irrational Thought
    5. or normally a combination of two or more of the above.

The pleading of insanity in a murder case for example is an appeal in which the defendant is claiming that his instincts and emotions overrode his ability to think rationally.

Does this ever happen? It must or there would be no such thing as mental illness and no recognition of a temporary insanity plea.

Worry is a sin. I don't think people intentionally worry but they still worry because they are human and the emotions of their situation or their current mental state get the best of them.

As much as we'd like to be perfectly rational human beings all of the time - we aren't. And the idea that we always think things through before we act is nonsense.

Roadrage is another example. People who never lose their temper suddenly go ape on the freeway because someone cut them off. Intentional or unintentional?

As to the Lying Unintentionally. Children and adults for that matter when subjected to terrible abuse sometimes suppress that experience and deny that it ever happened. Do they do that unintentionally or intentionally 0r is it a God Given mechanism that protects the human psyche?

Fear sometimes causes us to lie unintentionally. The young Lt. in his first battle panics and retreats with his platoon in the face of enemy fire without confirming that all his men have escaped - When questioned by his superior officer minutes after the incident and still under the influence of fear and still operating in the self-preservation mode responds - "yes, sir" and then realizes later in more rational moments his response was less than honest.

Yes, I think we lie unintentionally. I think we commit all kinds of sins both unintentionally and intentionally. It's part and parcel of the curse of the Fall.

I think the Apostle Paul addresses this problem in Romans 7.

4. eschatologist

eschatologist New Member

There is a very comforting passage that addresses intentional and unintentional sins. It is as follows: "Who can understand his errors? Cleanse me from secret faults(unintentional sins). Keep back your servant also from presumptuous sins(intentional); Let them(intentional sins) not have dominion over me. Then I shall be blameless, and I shall be innocent of great transgression"(Psalm 19:12-13, NKJV).
    God knows that when we are His children that at times we may sin against another without actually knowing we have(secret sins), yet He also knows that we will commit presumptuous(intentional) sins. Do not be overcome with presumptuous sins. James illustrates what happens to us when we are overcome with intentional sinning: "But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires(intentional sins) and enticed. Then when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is fullgrown(overcome), brings forth death"(separation from God and spirtual death)(Jam.1:14-15, NKJV). But if we repent and ask God to forgive us, John says this: "But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from ALL sin"(1Jo.1:7, NKJV).