1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Interesting Calvinism-Armianism Spectrum Chart

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by rlvaughn, Feb 16, 2018.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    RL,

Your post is one of those thick, juicy steaks that I usually like to sink my teeth into. However, on second glance I realize the article is written by an individual who (by the phraseology used in his chart) is imprecise in his definitions. This supposed middle ground is nothing new. Speaking only of my personal experience, I have had to minister with men who considered themselves in the middle theologically speaking. We generally got along well, although there were some issues in which compromise was not possible. Perhaps this is more common in a large denomination like the SBC where men have varying theological convictions serve on committees.

3. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reformed, within the chart itself (not particularly the article) what points of phraseology do you think are imprecise -- or the most so?
    The preprarer of the chart himself calls it an "SBC Calvinism-Armianism Spectrum Chart," so perhaps it is designed mainly or only with the positions taken with the convention in mind.

Thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. anerlogios

anerlogios Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like the chart. Three things though:
    1. Isn’t universal atonement generally un-Calvinist?
    2. Isn’t perseverance of the saints and eternal security the same?
    3. This chart also shows that Arminianism subscribes to total inability of sinners.

5. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    These are all areas over which folks are likely to disagree.
    1. The "universally applicable" atonement in the chart apparently refers to the views of those like Moyse Amyraut and Andrew Fuller, who taught that Christ died sufficiently for all in order to provide a basis for the universal part of the Covenant of Grace, but that the application was particular and limited to the elect.
    2. Similar, but not the same, to many -- while others mean the same. Perhaps the difference in the minds of many is emphasis rather than outcome. See, for example: Is perseverance of the saints the same thing as eternal security?
    3. It is correct that Classical Arminianism -- including Jacobus Arminius himself -- holds the doctrine of inability. On the other hand, Arminians of the Wesleyan variety do not hold this view. Classical Arminianism and Total Depravity

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I must say I like the chart, not because it points to truth, but it certainly gives everyone something to complain about!

Let me run through my complaints:

1) "Election based on Foreseen Faith." Accurate view of most Arminians, but "Election for Salvation based on Faith" would better match biblical support.

2) "Imputed Guilt" refers to the fallen being guilty (by imputation) of Adam's sin. Certainly a significant number of non-Calvinists deny that assertion.

3) "Total Spiritual Inability" Accurate view of both Calvinists and Arminians, with the asserted effect being reversed by either irresistible grace (Calvinist view) or prevenient grace (Arminian view)

4) "Autonomous Free Will" Accurate view if the meaning is that fallen people can hear, understand, and appropriately respond to the call of the gospel, (spiritual milk) while still being unable to understand spiritual solid food until indwelt.

5) "Corporate Election" is a view held by a number of Arminians, to the exclusion of our individual election for salvation based on God crediting our faith as righteousness. Ephesians 1:4 refers to our corporate election, but this is followed by our individual election through faith in the truth.

6) "Universally Applicable Atonement" This phrase appears to support the Arminian view that Christ died for all mankind, but using doublespeak, Calvinists could also claim this view. Better would be the phrase "Christ died for All Mankind" Then clearly it would exclude Calvinists.

7) "Faith prior to Regeneration" Perfect, no complaint, it reflects the Arminian, non-Calvinist view.

8) "Eternal Security" certainly is the view of all Calvinists and many centralist Arminians.

OTOH, here is a list of non-Aminian, non-Calvinist third rail views:

1) Election for Salvation based on Faith
    2) Limited Spiritual Ability, able to understand spiritual milk but not spiritual meat.
    3) "Corporate Election" before creation when God chose His Redeemer individually and those to be redeemed corporately.
    4) Christ died for all Mankind, those to be saved and those never to be saved.
    5) Faith prior to Regeneration
    6) Eternal Security, once saved, always saved.

7. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just a quick thought. I don't see how it's possible to have Unconditional Election without Irresistible Grace.
    IMO all the five points hang together.

• Agree Agree x 2