1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Interesting church dynamic

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Aug 31, 2014.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This kind of a situation does not take me by surprise being a Calvinist in a non-Cal church. Anyways this one guy whom I have been talking with, have given him tracts, a evangelism book by Mark Cahill and such was seeming to be interested to go out witnessing with me. However the conflict comes because the church has their own soul winning program and he know feels that we should join it and listen to soul winning experts and or should not witness apart from the church. I did not speak badly of the church but I simply said they have a preference on evangelism and that only God can draw the elect to salvation as this man was saying he needed to learn how to win souls to Christ. I have showed him verses in John and other places speaking of Gods election and the effectual call but he has not heard them.

I could buy him a book on election but not sure if it's necessary. I told the man if he changed his mind we could go out but I think in this case I am better off working alone or with my wife as I am not in a Calvinist church. And besides even the one down the road they do not seem all that interested in street evangelism neither which may be more of a location issue as we are in the suburbs.

This also may be my own problem since I gave him an Arminian book when I should have given him a Calvinist book on evangelism.

I have rejected their evangelism due to the low emphasis on repentance and the rejection of Lordship Salvation.

#1 evangelist6589, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2014
  2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please stop causing division in this church!

3. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I have caused no division. Even Roger Olson (Arminian scholar) agrees as we have spoken.

4. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read what I just quoted. You are rejecting your church's outreach techniques, you are trying to persuade another church member to reject them as well. Tell me, if you go out witnessing and someone asks you, "where should I go to church?", what would be your answer?

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say to share the gospel to the best of your ability and gifts and let God do the work (I'd participate with the church...but it is me and I'm not saying this is what you should do). Likewise, let God use your brother as He wills.

And one last thing. It is not often I get to beat Rippon to the punch...but good use of "whom" :smilewinkgrin:.

6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I am willing to work with them however only if they would let me be. But the experience last time proved I would have to adapt to their method which is something I will not do.

Even if I did not use the LAW to convict I would want to openly preach on Hell and sin which does not seem to be things they will do.

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't understand...what exactly do they preach in terms of evangelism?

8. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You believe in Lordship Salvation?

Can you explain your belief in Lordship Salvation/How you would define it.

9. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Going into a church with your heart set on changing it, is like going ito a marriage with plans to change the spouse ... an agenda of change is dishonest and only makes for serious problems in the days and weeks before you. It is dishonest, and wrong.

WALK AWAY brother...changing others is not a calling of God.

10. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

You would have already been asked to leave my church.

"For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock. Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them."

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That brings up another point....do you think the wolves were intentionally wolves (many probably thought they were correcting doctrine...certainly true of the "Jewdizers").

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Judaizers :BangHead: .... I haven't gotten down replying on my phone...not that I am a good speller to begin with...but I mean Judaizers.

13. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Some may have been, others may have had good intentions (like I suspect evangelist6589 originally had). The problem with evangelist6589 is that we can all sit here until we are blue in the face and tell him that he is causing division in his church, yet he will continue to do the same thing. Because of that it does become intentional.

14. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need to talk to Tom Butler about being reformed in a non reformed church. He has been one for years and he can help you understand appropriate behavior in that setting.

15. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Evangelist- Why do you attend that church?

16. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Start another thread please

17. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I did not know this. I will have to PM him

18. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

My wife. But it's okay I got the problem solved as a Calvinist at another church wants to go out witnessing with me.

19. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When someone you're witnessing to asks which church you represent, what will you tell them?

Or if they ask which church they should go to in order to hear more, will you tell them to go to the other church?

And if you do, and they ask why not your church, what will you tell them?

And if you're honest, and tell them; and they then ask why YOU still go there, will you tell them it's because of your wife?

Do you have ANY clue what you're doing to the reputation of that church, to yourself, and to Christ?

20. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbsup: