1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Interesting quote on Church music

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Ps104_33, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

I thought about posting this on the music forum but there doesnt seem to be any action over there so I hope it is OK to post here. Read this quote on contemporary church music:

“There are several reasons for opposing it. One, it’s too new. Two, its often worldly, even blasphemous. The new Christian music is not as pleasant as the more established style because there are so many new songs, you can’t learn them all. It also puts too much emphasis on instrumental music rather than on Godly lyrics. This new music creates disturbances, making people act indecently and disorderly. The preceding generation got along without it.”

Who wrote this? Jack Hyles? Bob Jones? Clarence Sexton? Roger Vogelin?

No this was written by William Romaine, an Anglican Calvinist,who wrote this quote in 1775!

And what songs was he referring to that were too worldly for the church?

When I survey the Wondrous Cross, O God Our Help in Ages Past, Give to Our God Immortal Praise, and the other hymns that they had begun using in their “contemporary worship” of the day.

He wrote this critique entitled "An Essay on Psalmody" against the hymns that Isaac watts had written!

Interesting.

2. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

There is a strong, albeit small, movement in some reformed churches to reject all songs but the psalms! I only learned of it recently. Was quite surprised!

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I had some Reformed Baptist friends from Delaware who told me about this a few years ago rj.{I'm SBC so it doesn't affect me.}

4. LRL71

LRL71 New Member

I consider myself to be a 'reformed' (a.k.a.--Calvinist, "particular") Baptist, and this is all terra incognita to me. My church uses contemporary Christian music.

I like the post by Ps104_33. Gosh, this wouldn't be so funny if weren't made back in the 1700's!
    [​IMG]

5. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

I've often wondered if the traditionalists of David's day condemned his contemporary psalms:

"Well, the lyrics may sound spiritual, but that TEMPO certainly isn't what Moses would have approved!" :(

"Betcha Moses is turning over in his grave right now!" [​IMG]

Of course, not knowing where his grave was probably wouldn't have mattered to them.

6. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romaine surely had a bone to pick with the Wesleys, and even Whitefield, who compiled his own hymnal.

While we're on the topic, I will pass on this observation by by C.Matthew McMahon of A Puritan's Mind.

FULL ARTICLE

7. mioque

mioque New Member

"There is a strong, albeit small, movement in some reformed churches to reject all songs but the psalms!"
    "
    Ofcourse, not all versions of the psalms put to music are acceptable to them. No, it must be an early 17th century version of the psalms and they must be sung as slowly as possible.
    (no kidding whatsoever in this statement)

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am reformed baptist and at our new church plant (still in the organizational phase) we joked about only singing anything written before 1750. Some were pleased!

Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein.

9. LarryN

LarryN New Member

Hey, Even the Psalms themselves extol the merits of new music. By this measure, do these verses disqualify the Psalms themselves from being musically suitable today? ;) (Before anyone jumps all over me for this observation, it's said with a great deal of tongue-in-cheek!)

Ps 33:3 -
    Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise.

Ps 96:1 -
    O sing unto the LORD a new song: sing unto the LORD, all the earth.

Ps 98:1 -
    O sing unto the LORD a new song; for he hath done marvellous things: his right hand, and his holy arm, hath gotten him the victory.

Ps 144:9 - I will sing a new song unto thee, O God: upon a psaltery and an instrument of ten strings will I sing praises unto thee.

Ps 149:1 -
    Praise ye the LORD. Sing unto the LORD a new song, and his praise in the congregation of saints.

Isa 42:10 -
    Sing unto the LORD a new song, and his praise from the end of the earth, ye that go down to the sea, and all that is therein; the isles, and the inhabitants thereof.

10. superdave

superdave New Member

LarryN,
    This is a discussion about music. The use of scripture has not been approved by the great unwashed of the BB for music discussions, and any further use of said scripture will result in your being labeled as a troublemaker. ;)

11. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

12. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Yeah, superdave, but I use those scriptures all the time when defending a praise song!

Now let's go find the verses that encourage baptists to lift up their hands during worship!

13. danrusdad

danrusdad New Member

I'll turn from any music that the Bible preaches against...

Funny..I can't seem to find a single note of music in the Bible though...hmmmmmmm...

14. Mark Bishop

Mark Bishop New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

There may not be any "notes" per se, but there is certainly a large hymn book found in the middle of your Bible.

16. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

And we can all dance in the streets with tambourines and in our linen underwear!

2 Samuel 6: 5 And David and all the house of Israel played before the LORD on all manner of instruments made of fir wood, even on harps, and on psalteries, and on timbrels, and on cornets, and on cymbals..... 14 And David danced before the LORD with all his might; and David was girded with a linen ephod. 15 So David and all the house of Israel brought up the ark of the LORD with shouting, and with the sound of the trumpet.... 21 And David said unto Michal, It was before the LORD, which chose me before thy father, and before all his house, to appoint me ruler over the people of the LORD, over Israel: therefore will I play before the LORD.

17. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Only if you wish to remain childless!

18. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

I think the good music will stay and become standard and the bad will pass on into history and become lost.
    Now as for this raising your hands in church or shouting Amen , I don't know about stuff like that.Solemn that's what we need to be.

19. crusader1611

crusader1611 New Member

"and the other hymns that they had begun using in their “contemporary worship” of the day."

C1611- Ya, but they didn't have the 60's sexual revolution rock and roll back then either to taint their Christian music

20. superdave

superdave New Member

Solomon says nothing is new under the sun. Even what the U.S. experienced in the 60's

Rebellion ain't a new thing.

Neither is poor musical selection. Just read the TOC in any hymnal