1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Interesting Reagan/Obama Parallel

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by StefanM, Feb 29, 2008.

1. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2008/02/obama_is_reagan.html

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

Politically, they couldn't be further apart, IMO.

But they do remind me of one another with regards to how they are able to inspire their followers, and the public.

Still a loooooong way to go, though, before Obama could compare himself to Reagan on a national stage.

And like I said...they are poles apart politically.

3. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Did someone say "poles"?

4. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wouldn't have thought either of them came from Poland.

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Both lived in Illinois.

End of similarities :laugh:

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I predict that Barack Obama will one day be regarded by Democrats in the same way that Republicans regard Ronald Reagan.

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Here is a parallel. Reagan once appeared in one episode of "Wagon Train", and Obama wants to create a gravy train for every nut case in America that does not want to take responsibility for his or her life.

Here is another. Reagan was born in Illinois, and Obama is a politician from Illinois. We can throw in Lincoln for good measure.

They were or are both inspriational. Reagan brought out the patriotism in us, Obama brings out the something for nothing in us.

It is hard to come up with a parallel between "there you go again" and "yes we can."

8. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...and Bush created a gravy train for big corporations with no-bid contracts.

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Well, you got me on that one. However, the only Republican Presidents that make a difference are conservative ones. There is no more pathetic creature on earth than a liberal Republican.

10. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To me it seems that the only difference between the Republicans and the Democrats is who gets the benefits of the big government spending. With the Republicans, it's businesses and the rich, and with the Democrats, it's the poor.

11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

We agree on more than you think. If I had my way, both the Democratic and Republican parties would be dismantled, and replaced by parties that have a heart to serve the American people, not fill their pig trough.

12. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I dislike both parties because I'm the kind of person who has to favor about half of each of the party's platforms.

I prefer the social platform of the GOP, but I prefer the economic platform of the Democratic party. I favor universal health care (for both moral and economic reasons--I want to liberate businesses from the burden of providing health care, and I think UHC will reduce the % of GDP spent on health care.), but I am anti-abortion.

I don't think we need super-high levels of taxation (like the 90% upper tax rate of the past), but I don't think tax cuts are the solution to every problem from cancer to nuclear proliferation (as the GOP seems to think).

But I agree with your sentiments about liberal Republicans. I disagree with almost everything they stand for. They aren't economically liberal enough, and they're too liberal on social issues.