1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Interesting Times and Changing Times in the SBC

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Chinese have a curse that says, “May you live in interesting times.” If the last eight months have demonstrated anything to Southern Baptists it is that we are living under this Oriental curse. “Interesting” doesn’t mean “all bad,” but in the present case it does at least include, “revealing.”

In fact, hardly a week goes by without shining more light on the dark corners of the SBC. It gives a whole new meaning to “progressive revelation.” It’s like watching the curtain being pulled back on the Wizard of Oz. Most recently we were subjected to back-to-back revelatory moments. First, it was the 2019 Resolution Committee doubling down in trying to justify their promotion of Resolution 9 on “Critical Race Theory and Intersectionality.”

That was quickly followed by the announcement of the 2020 SBC Pastors’ Conference lineup that includes a woman “teaching pastor,” a “four square gospel” pastor, and a Southern Baptist pastor whose church has at least one woman pastor alongside him on staff. Oh, and the Southern Baptist pastor (David Hughes, of Church by the Glades), has regularly used sexual themes and innuendo for sermons and evangelistic strategies.

Interesting Times and Changing Times in the SBC

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The progressives over reached with this conference. I think it will cause the conservatives to bring the conservative resurgence 2.0 to the SBC. They are giving Tom Buck, Tom Ascol and others tons of ammo heading into the next convention.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SBC is going to Hell in a hand basket.

4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Back in the 1970s they had a woman speak at the SBC Pastors Conference, and then ran her for vice president of the Southern Baptist Convention!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL, it was the Conservatives who did that.

Conservatives controlled the pre-convention Pastors Conference in the mid to late 1970s, even before they started capturing the SBC Presidency.

(Adrian Rogers presided over the 1976 SBC Pastors Conference, Jerry Vines in 1977, Bailey Smith in 1978, etc.)

from Baptist Pess, when future Conservative Resurgence SBC President Bailey Smith presided over the 1978 Pastors Conference, he brought in Anita Bryant and James Robison:

"ATLANTA (BP)--The Southern Baptist Pastors' Conference...includes an opening night address by singer Anita Bryant, will emphasize the old fashioned evangelistic spirit....Three more sessions on Monday, June 12, will also feature high powered preaching...according to Pastors' Conference president, Bailey Smith, pastor of First Southern Baptist Church, Del City, Okla. The conference...will close Monday night with a sermon by James Robison, evangelist from Hurst, Texas"

The chief strategist of the so-called Conservative Resurgence, Paul Pressler, explained in his book how their running Anita Bryant for VP in 1978 contributed to their capturing the SBC Presidency (with Adrian Rogers) in 1979:

Pressler: "Bill Self, a pastor in Atlanta.'..[was] setting himself up as the next presidential candidate of the SBC establishment."

"[He was] to succeed Jimmy Allen in 1979. According to their plan, Bill was to be nominated for first vice president as a stepping-stone to the presidency."

so the Conservatives put up Anita Bryant...a woman!

Pressler: "Anita agreed to run for vice-president....She shared our concerns about the SBC direction"

"Bill Self, a moderate, had said that he was not going to run against Anita Bryant, so it was decided that she should run for first vice-president and keep Bill from setting himself up as the next presidential candidate of the SBC establishment."

"She lost....The moderates...were not above fanning emotions against a woman’s leadership when it suited their purposes. That’s what they did against Anita."

"Bill Self was elected second vice president, thus advancing his presidential ambition for the next year in Houston. However, he was not in nearly as strong a position as he would have been as first vice president."

#5 Jerome, Feb 17, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It comes and go's. The interesting thing is churches are normally not affected. Some will leave others stay. It will be interesting to see where it lands when the dust settles.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Humpty Dumpty

Humpty Dumpty Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Leftist ruin everything

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We still have control over the door knobs and which way the doors swing. That's something. :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This time I think its different. The fact they ousted Patterson in the manner they did proves they have power that runs deep.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Prior to me moving states our local convention had concerns. I do know many pastors of small to mid- sized churches were concerned about the SBC to the point they would prefer to leave. But the issue is sometimes tradition with members who have always been SBC. It has to get real bad for something to happen. I suspect we are going in that direction.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We need to purge the convention, not leave it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. I just don't know if it will happen.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Were you part of the Sbc when there was that Civil war among moderates and conservatives on mainly how to view the scriptures, and it took those like Charles Stanley and Adrian rogers to get into affect then change?

• Like Like x 1
  14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been a part of the SBC since 1978 to present.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you would have seen that conflict unfolding.....
    Similar to what is going on now?

• Like Like x 1
  16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not know how similar. Now seems to be different to me, at least it feels different. But I was much younger then so it may just be me.

We have a hyper conservative side which wants to squash anything that they do not affirm (part of this brought on perhaps by caged staged Calvinists). But then we have a less than liberal (from our past conflict) side pushing for a more benign doctrine. The best course for a convention is to be a convention and not some type of overseer. What is like the last conflict is our seminaries.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    is there a push to recognize women as pastors/teachersfor example?

• Like Like x 1
  18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not know how much of a push. I really don't care at the convention level so much as at the church level. The issue is, for me, with the seminaries (what is being taught to the next generation of pastors).

• Like Like x 1
  19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isn't that where the big problem was at, as many seminaries were starting to hold to critical views of scriptures back then, as limited flood, Genesis largely spiritual myth, unknown authors of scriptures etc?

• Like Like x 1