1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Interfaith Cooperation

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Deacon, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Winter Storm Warning has been issued for Bucks County, PA.
    Measureable snow and temperatures below 20 degrees are predicted.

A ”Code Blue” was called.

Tonight is the first test of an interfaith “Code Blue” initiative.

The homeless and those living in encampments in the area are transported to a sponsoring church in the area where a hot meal and bedding is provided.

Four churches in Lower Bucks - Langhorne Terrace Baptist Church, United Christian Church of Levittown, Emmaus Road Lutheran Church in Fairless Hills and Woodside Presbyterian Church in Yardley - have come together to form a core group of Code Blue respite centers.

Each of the churches will serve as a host shelter for one month between Dec. 15 and April 15. Volunteers from the Lower Bucks Center for Church and Community, headed up by the Rev. Shelly Davis of United Christian Church, worked in conjunction with the county to set up the program.

Code Blue [LINK]

This first night six people took advantage of the opportunity to sleep in a warm building.
    As trust grows we hope the numbers will increase.

Rob

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    While your church is hosting them, are you permitted to share the gospel with the individuals?

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We can share the gospel with them anywhere we like.

Of course the hard part is that we have to transport them back to their cold encampments in the morning.

Rob

4. Peggy

Peggy New Member

I think that it's wonderful that churches can get together to help "the least of these". It is a wonderful, concrete witness of the love of Christ and love of neighbor.

5. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Why should it be a problem for different churches to do what is right together?

6. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Seems to be a great idea to me.

7. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They're dirty, they smell.
    They're ignorant and undeserving.
    Selfish and untrustworthy.

I can't help but think that's the way God might have looked at me

When we were utterly helpless, Christ came at just the right time and died for us sinners.
    Romans 5:6 NLT

God is so good to us!

I can't help but know that I got more than I gave last night.

Rob

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This blessed me - our church is home-based (actually meet in motel meeting room as we outgrew the home!) but we give to such a group in our city to purchase food, etc. I wish we had a place with some bunks, showers, etc.

Great article in American Profile (insert in some newspapers once a week) about a boy in Plymouth (Minneapolis) Minnesota who sleeps out, provides blankets, etc.

9. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I know this is an old thread, but when I read this, it made me think of myself, too. Though I did not stink on the outside due to soap, water, and shampoo, I had the stench of sin on the inside. God cleaned me up by washing me in the blood of His Son!!

10. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey thanks for resurrecting the old thread!

This is the third season for the group called "Advocates for the Homeless and those in Need".

It has expanded to include "meals on wheels" and some other ministries.

This year our church is testing a new way to minister to those who come to us asking for help.

We found that some people go from church to church asking for handouts, abusing the offerings of the church people.

We found that 'advocates" already knew these people and was better able to screen 'those in need' from those that abuse.

A portion of our funds will go to the ministry and in return we will send those unattached to our locale and ministry to this group.

I've met some good people from a variety of Christian denominations that serve the needy.

Rob

11. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Be it far from us to think that Baptists are the only people who can do something to fulfill the greatest commandment.