1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Interpreting Revelation

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Greektim, Feb 27, 2014.

?
  1. Futurist

60.0%
  2. Historicist

8.0%
  3. Idealist

8.0%
  4. Preterist

12.0%
  5. Other (please explain)

12.0%
  1. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In which camp do you basically fall?

Here is a brief summary of the 4 views. I don't know this website enough to endorse it, but it is simple enough. For the full article, go here: http://www.ptm.org/03PT/MarApr/4ViewsRev.htm

See Four Views on the Book of Revelation to get an overview of the basic 4 views.

I personally am a form of idealism understanding that it relates heavily on its 1st century context of the Roman Empire. But the Roman Empire is the exemplar for the "ongoing struggle" that continues today.

I think you will find that this is the most popular academic view, especially in the broader category of the genre of apocalyptic. That doesn't make it right, of course. But it does give it weight. Gorman's Reading Revelation Responsibly is by far one of the best books in addressing this issue. Many here would profit greatly in reading it.

If you go to my blog (click this link or my name in my siggie), you'll see I have been reading books on Rev out the wazoo! I am writing my thesis on this book. So I have dedicated a lot of research to it.

#1 Greektim, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2014
  2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You forced my hand with only one pick for Revelation, which has to be Historicist.

At the time it was written (66-68 A.D.) the book was more futurist, at this point in time it's more historical.

3. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would have put you as a preterist.

4. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You asked concerning Revelation. When it comes to the gospels I am Preterist.

5. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fair enough...

But if you see it as future before 70, then aren't you saying that it is about the Roman Empire and the destruction of the temple in 70? That would make you a preterist then.

Historicist sees Rev as spanning church history.

6. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Historicist with preterits leanings, which is pretty standard fair for amillennial eschatology

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Futurist. The symbolic language represents something literal which will be fulfilled in the future.

9. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, that would be my 'Preterist' side to Rev.

18 And if ye will not yet for these things hearken unto me, then I will chastise you seven times more for your sins.
    21 And if ye walk contrary unto me, and will not hearken unto me, I will bring seven times more plagues upon you according to your sins.
    24 then will I also walk contrary unto you; and I will smite you, even I, seven times for your sins.
    28 then I will walk contrary unto you in wrath; and I also will chastise you seven times for your sins. Lev 26

Seven seals, seven trumpets, seven angels, seven bowls, read the curses of Lev 26/Dt 28 (and others) from the OT; the wrath poured out upon 'the land', the judgment of the great Harlot.

#9 kyredneck, Feb 27, 2014
  10. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The book is, imho, a historicist-futurist presentation of apocalyptic events from the past and into the future.

However, once you get into the bulk of the text, chps 4-19, the text is primarily historicist. Frankly, you can lump chapters 1-3 in here too since they are historical narrative, but I usually leave them out.

The presentation of events from Rev. 4-19 is speaking about the drama of salvation history that has unfolded across creation. Though not inherently linear, the events speak to the victory over death and sin through the redemption of the lamb.

The futurist position comes about in chapters 20-22. I just can't reconcile that Satan is currently bound and we're in the, really long, 1,000 year reign.

I grew up in a exclusively futurist interpretation, but in my own study came to this position. :)

11. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

The purpose of the Book of Revelation, I believe, is primarily to show that the Saints win! The Book of Revelation is best understood, in my opinion, as picturing, frequently in apocalyptic language, the conflict between good and evil in this dispensation. The imagery of the book is not specific to any historical events. There is no Biblical justification for believing in a pre-trib removal of the Church or a millennial reign of Jesus Christ on the present earth!

12. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one really understands Revelation.

13. thisnumbersdisconnected

Make that a double. :thumbsup:

14. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Never mind 'Seal not up the words of the prophecy of this book; for the time is at hand.'

15. thisnumbersdisconnected

Bad translation. It says "the time is near." The Greek is eggus, which means "near, of place and position," not time. In other words, the events that had transpired to that point put the place and position of the end "near" -- little else had to happen before the end. Essentially, as we stand today, all prophecies of the Old Testament necessary to the return of Christ for His church and the beginning of the Tribulation have been fulfilled. We, I believe, must still fulfill the requirements laid before us in the Great Commission: "Go therefore, and make disciples of all nations," but we are very near to that time.

Nope, KRN, not time. Position. Christ's fulfillment of His earthly ministry brought us to that point.

16. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    Darn you, perspicuity!

17. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like how you listed definition 1 but left out Thayer's second definition: "near... of time". BTW... those are not listed in order of importance, like definition 1 supersedes 2 if it will help your theology. And in this case, since the context, the subject (!), is about time, then your interpretation needs to line up w/ the second definition: near in time. And time can be something that is positionally close if used in a metaphoric sense.

So again, there is an issue w/ the futurist interpretation when "near" is the description of much of the book.

#17 Greektim, Feb 27, 2014
  18. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amillennialism. Past, Present and Future. Basically three views of the church in earth since her inception, like four Gospels are four views of Christ on earth.

19. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you explain more what makes your view "other"? Cause it sounds like historicism.

20. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

One thing is certain! The Book is written to the Church for the benefit and comfort of the Church, not to describe some seven year tribulation period dispensationalists call "Jacob's trouble". If the Church is not on earth during the period described in Revelation 4-19 why have John write it.

Revelation 1:10-6
    1. The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:
    2. Who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw.
    3. Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.
    4. John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace be unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to come; and from the seven Spirits which are before his throne;
    5. And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,
    6. And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

#20 OldRegular, Feb 27, 2014