1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Interpreting Revelation

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Greektim, Feb 27, 2014.

?
  1. Futurist

60.0%
  2. Historicist

8.0%
  3. Idealist

8.0%
  4. Preterist

12.0%
  5. Other (please explain)

12.0%
  1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I believe in the literal return of Jesus and that we are to serve him and be about MT 28 here in this sin cursed world....

If i had to say where i am it is like this;;;

1]postmill

2] amill

3] historic premill

4] premill

In other words..each view has an understanding...I list what i see at this time as the most likely view of truth..in order....to go back to any premill idea,,,,I would have to have completely lost my way hermenutically. Post and amill are close...historic premill is not really that far away....the premill...is way out because of dispensational error.

Rm...i will offer a defense of what I have posted if you want....you can offer verses, links, sermons etc..i will respond if you are sincere... It does not have to do with you personally...that would be another whole discussion as i do not care for your M.O. in vague and veiled remarks .....80% against cals....to be fair...the other 20% I have seen you be occasionally fair minded to a non cal here or there...even more than most other non cals.I will give you credit for stepping up once in awhile...

#41 Iconoclast, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2014
  2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Man, it's like folks have taken angry pills...well, in a hope to refocus back to the question in the OP.

One of the reasons why I left the futurist reading of Revelation of my youth came about in seeing how figurative this hermeneutic becomes when understanding the scenes presented. I believe the book is centered around several episodes (sorry no time to give specific references right now) when John is caught up "in the Spirit" (εν πνευματι.) As a result, he is taken out of his regular ontological plane and given a prophetic, or apocalyptic vision, of events from a vantage point outside of time.

For the futurist position, in my studies, to make sense with a cogent reading of Revelation, it has to ignore the varying scenes of apocalyptic revelation and attempt to rationalize the various seals, trumpets, and bowl judgments in a kind of linear order that makes them perpetuate themselves upon each other. In the end, Revelation is caught up into justifying a future scene that seems quite impossible to unfold.

Then I did the math. I started to count the different scenes of tremendous peril and descriptions of death and destruction. Adding up the amount of blood it would take to fill the Valley at the Battle of Armaggedon and then seeing how big the hailstones would have to be added another check mark against the futurist interpretation.

These events are so difficult to comprehend literally they must be figurative or allegorical tales of great destruction.

I can honestly say that I never took some of these crazy modern day prophecy talking heads very seriously. Hal Lindsey makes too many egregious hermeneutical mistakes to arrive at his position it just doesn't seem coherent.

So, in realizing that John is attempting to record ontologically shaking events that are depicted before him, in these visions, in such a way that they necessitate a less than literal read of chapters 4-19.

Anyhoo...maybe this will get things back on track.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok so you have a different view. That is not what is at issue with me. It is the way those folks like yourself respond and characterize the view of others. You all cannot seem to do it without tearing down other views in a condescending way.

I would love to have discussions about the differences. But it cannot happen so long as there is a need to tear others down or gang up on them.

For example, dyspies did not create anything. They looked in scripture, did an honest search and exegesis and this is how we see it. When you all acknowledge that then we can have a conversation. Until then it is just all condescension.

4. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    More than conquerors was helpful...Days of vengeance I have not seen anyone answer it very well:thumbs:

5. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Do you believe rev 12 is a great example of this very thing? he sees redemptive history laid out?

6. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

The New Geneva Study Bible, now the Reformation Bible, takes this approach though their divisions are slightly different then Hendricksen and I believe fit Scripture better. Some years ago I spent a lot of time teaching Revelation in SS. The concept of progressive parallelism makes a lot of sense and that is the approach I took.

Most Christians avoid the Book of Revelation but it can be a great blessing to those who will devote the effort required to study it!

7. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Gary demar wrote an article and said there are not enough horses in the world to spill that amount of blood,

8. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You really, really, need to take a look at yourself before you spout this sort of accusation. You routinely make some of the most obnoxious, insulting, condescending remarks/smears.

Knee jerk, spontaneous, insults/smears.

Maybe you should count to ten before you type.

#48 kyredneck, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2014
  9. OldRegular

One of the best commentaries entitled The Book of Revelation is by Philip Edgcumbe Hughes, an Anglican. The book takes the idealist amillennial approach and reads a lot like a devotional!

10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have His commentary on Hebrews. He was a gifted person....

I believe Revelation and Hebrews go hand in hand...to explain to the church in the first century where Jesus was and how he was functioning as our Eternal High Priest...to comfort them in their persecution;

9 And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:

10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?

11 And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.

11. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Revelation goes 'hand in hand' with far more other scriptures than just Hebrews.

12. OldRegular

If we read the Old Testament we see covenants, not dispensations. The word dispensation does not occur in the Old Testament. It occurs only 4 times in the New Testament and there it means economy or stewardship.

A new convert earnestly studying Scripture would understand that God deals with people through Covenants not dispensations.

13. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes Kyred..I agree...much of the OT is found in REV.

The special link I "see" with Hebrews is the Eternal Priesthood comforting suffering saints.

14. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've observed a close similarity to Hebrews and Rev as well.

After studying other apocalyptic literature as well as Qumran writings, I am coming to the conclusion that Hebrews is a manuscripted sermon (common) of an apocalyptic preacher, or at least a preacher entrenched in the apocalyptic mindset giving an apocalyptic sermon of sorts (not so common).

Many would say the same was true of Jesus.

15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My thoughts exactly.

16. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now I'm curious, why do you think that? And what is the significance of it?

Not doubting you, just curious.

17. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read this Themelios (32 no 2) article, "Preaching Advice from the 'Sermon' to the Hebrews"... very instructive. But it is just a summary of what many Hebrews scholars have been saying. http://s3.amazonaws.com/tgc-documents/journal-issues/32.2_Selvaggio.pdf

Basically, there is much more to it than simply comparing Hebrews 13:22's "word of encouragement" w/ Acts 13:15's "word of encouragement". It seems like you have the concept that this is a sermon in the way it was in Acts. But this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Honestly, Hebrews is so full of rhetorical devices that it is obvious the speaker was quite elegant in crafting, structuring, and orating his sermon. This leads me to think that it is still possible that Paul was the speaker and maybe Luke the writer (best of both worlds). See David Alan Black on this.

18. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you GT, I'll definitely check it out.

19. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    On the rhetorical devices in Hebrews, Dr. Black's articles are quite helpful:

"Literary Artistry in the Epistle to the Hebrews" Filologia Neotestamentaria 13 no 7, 1994.
    "Hebrews 1:1-4: A Study in Discrouse Analysis" Westminster Theological Journal 49 no 1, 1987.

I've done some work myself in Heb. 3:1-6 fleshing out the rhetorical devices too. It is quite eloquent.

#59 Greektim, Feb 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2014
  20. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For me, it just reads like one.