1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Interpreting Scripture

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Crabtownboy, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no problem with your statement other than I believe you need to add a few other items ... like;

.Conservative confusion of American patriotism with Christ
    .Confusion of a political party with Christ's teachings
    .The Jesus some Buddhist claim visited Tibet before starting his public ministry.
    .Those who seem to be saying that the poor need no help.
    .Those who read and quote only Paul and seemingly ignore Christ's teachings.

I am sure more could be added.

2. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

I think this is a reasonable question. Similar to this is when Job's friends are monologuing... we would NOT attribute all their words as "scripture" in that their meaning behind the words is an accurate representation of what God necessarily wants us to believe. In a similar sense, such is this with Paul per your reference. I think that the fact that his preference was written there was intended by God (this is where we may part in agreement). The force of the same intent of God still applies when Paul prefaced his words with, "This is me, not God speaking", meaning that God wanted us to understand that it was not God's 'rule' but a man's preference.

I think what you are speaking to relates to the idea of whether Paul, the man himself, was inspired by the Holy Spirit, or only the actual, original documents that were inspired. I believe the latter is the case.
    Would you object to adding "To me," at the beginning of the your statement above? And maybe even "and to most Christians in the world,"? Would that agree with what you meant? I would not necessarily have a problem with what you are meaning. If we say all scripture is as relatively important to our current station in life then I think in a sense we are fooling ourselves. Our practice betrays what we say we believe. For example, and this is similar to your example of sermons, scripture memorization. Who memorizes the geneologies, or the less relevant parts of scripture before they memorize the more personally and socially relevant parts? That's not to say that those parts weren't or aren't important but that they're not as relevant. Please, for those that elevate all things to the same level, all the time, the operative word is "as"... of course all scripture is relevant, but some parts are more like "apples of gold in pictures of silver" than other parts. Some parts are more appropriate/relevant than other parts. This, to me, is obvious. To say that, in a practical sense, any part of scripture is as relevant as any other part of scripture for all situations of life and thought is asinine. This makes me think of the funny commercials from Bing.

3. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I fear theological liberals, not the Banjo, when fighting the good fight. O====II

4. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I agree when you say "it was not God's 'rule' but a man's preference." I believe Paul's understood this and that is why he said, "This is me speaking .............." To say he meant otherwise is, IMHO, making a liberal interpretation of those passages where he used these words.

Many on the BB consider me liberal. I do not consider myself liberal. Rather I see my self as a conservative who takes Christ's words about how we treat others and the example of how he treated others very seriously. It seems this is not appreciated by all ... and that is understandable. Having said that I do find it puzzling at best that so many use very impolite language in responding. Oh well ...............

I believe the original documents were inspired. Sadly we do not have any copies of the originals. If one were to be found I am not sure how we could determine at this date if it really was an original or not.

Would you object to adding "To me," at the beginning of the your statement above? And maybe even "and to most Christians in the world,"? Would that agree with what you meant? I would not necessarily have a problem with what you are meaning. If we say all scripture is as relatively important to our current station in life then I think in a sense we are fooling ourselves. Our practice betrays what we say we believe. For example, and this is similar to your example of sermons, scripture memorization. Who memorizes the geneologies, or the less relevant parts of scripture before they memorize the more personally and socially relevant parts? That's not to say that those parts weren't or aren't important but that they're not as relevant. Please, for those that elevate all things to the same level, all the time, the operative word is "as"... of course all scripture is relevant, but some parts are more like "apples of gold in pictures of silver" than other parts. Some parts are more appropriate/relevant than other parts. This, to me, is obvious. To say that, in a practical sense, any part of scripture is as relevant as any other part of scripture for all situations of life and thought is asinine. This makes me think of the funny commercials from Bing.
    [/QUOTE]

Adding the "to me" is a good suggestion.

Relevant is an excellent word used in this case. I wish I had thought of using it in the earlier posts.

I'll take your word on the Bing ads. I watch little TV and have not seen these ads. Most of what I watch is Public TV, especially the British comedies and programs such as Masterpiece Theater, History Detectives and similar programs.

5. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Adding the "to me" is a good suggestion.

Relevant is an excellent word used in this case. I wish I had thought of using it in the earlier posts.

I'll take your word on the Bing ads. I watch little TV and have not seen these ads. Most of what I watch is Public TV, especially the British comedies and programs such as Masterpiece Theater, History Detectives and similar programs.

[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

So would you affirm that ALL scripture has been equally inspired by God, ALL
    of it is also fully inerrant/infallible in ALL that it affirms, regradless if doctrines/historical etc!

6. humblethinker

Well, I'm not sure I understand to whom you are asking this question.
    I would answer in the affirmative in respects to the autographs and that what we have today has derived authority from them and are worthy of my trust and obedience.

7. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Thanks, was asking Crabtownboy how he looked at it!

8. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So would you affirm that ALL scripture has been equally inspired by God, ALL
    of it is also fully inerrant/infallible in ALL that it affirms, regradless if doctrines/historical etc![/QUOTE]

The original texts, which we do not have. However as we do not have them and never will this idea is IMHO not very germane. We cannot prove it one way other the other. It is simply a part of one's faith system or it isn't. I do not see anyone's salvation being dependent on believing or not believing that all scripture has been equally inspired by God. Concerning inerrant/infallible I would have to know what you mean by these words. I have hears various explanations. I do feel the devil has used the words to bring much discord amount Christians.

Actually, now that I think about it I am not sure what "equally inspired by God" means. My understanding of the phrase might be very different from others. That is a problem with language. We are trying to talk about the infinite using finite and culturally based language. It makes it very difficult.

9. mandym

mandym New Member

2Ti 3:16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,

10. humblethinker

Sorry, I am not sure I understand your meaning behind your post. Could you elaborate?

11. mandym

mandym New Member

You folks are welcome to doubt scripture, question it as legitimate from God, hold to only parts as from God or down play the importance of parts of it. But None of that changes what it is, and solid Bible believing Christians have faith that it is all the word of God.

12. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    mandym, I agree with you 100%.

13. humblethinker

What problem in specific do you have with anything I've said in this thread?

14. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Paul defended slavery? Wow!