1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Interracial marriage:

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Spoudazo, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

Just curious what everyone thought.

I don't whole-heartidly endorse it but neither do I condemn it, as I don't find any such material in the Bible to do so. Naturally several preachers have used false paralells trying to prove their point, but upon examination of their would-be scriptural argumentation you see it is nothing more than eisegesis (bring your idea to the scriptures).

I remember when I was a young Christian sitting in class and a girl next to me (this was at a Christian school) asked me the question. Well, I in my ignorance and desire to stick with "tradition" tried to use some verses from the OT regarding Israel mixing with pagan nations.

However, seeing our Lord is merciful, He has allowed me to see the "errors of my ways" quite some time ago.

Since then, my verse on the subject is. . .
    NAU Acts 17:11 Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with great eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so.

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

The Bible is silent on this issue.

3. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A believer is not to marry an unbeliever as that would be being unequally yoked. However, that has no bearing on whether or not I can marry a Spanish, Korean, Greek, ... , girl. The Bible is totally silent on that issue.

4. MargoWriter

MargoWriter New Member

A good book:
    One Blood

Talks all about that. We all have the same skin color, yes indeedy, it's just some of us have more color than others.

Freckles (not moles) are just spots with extra melanin. It's raaaaaaaaaather fascinating, even for someone unscientific like me.

[​IMG]

5. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

We are all ONE Blood,

Acts 17:26
    And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;

6. MargoWriter

MargoWriter New Member

7. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Moses married an Ethopian woman later in life. When Aaron and Mirianm complained against him, God struck Miriam down with leprosy. Was their complaint about race? I don't know.

I don't have a problem with interracial marriages.

Peace-
    S.O.

8. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is something that I was TOTALLY against years ago, but I find nothing in scripture to prohibit such.

I would not want my children to marry inter-racially, but I do recognize this as a feeling from past prejudice, and my own culture; not a mandate from God.

There are problems with such; as acceptance in the community, half-breed children etc, but these are social relational problems, not problems from God's viewpoint (IMHO)!

As it becomes more & more common, these problems will become less & less critical.

9. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

John Piper, pastor of Bethlehem Baptist Church in Minneapolis, Minn., recently preached a sermon entitled Racial Harmony and Interracial Marriage. He summarizes his position with four main points:

1. All races have one ancestor in the image of God and all humans are in God's image.

2. The Bible forbids intermarriage between unbeliever and believer, but not between races.

3. In Christ our oneness is profound and transforms racial and social differences from barriers to blessings.

4. Criticizing one interracial marriage was severely disciplined by God.

Source: Desiring God

10. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Song 1:5
    I am black, but comely, O ye daughters of Jerusalem, as the tents of Kedar, as the curtains of Solomon.
    Song 1:6
    Look not upon me, because I am black, because the sun hath looked upon me: my mother's children were angry with me; they made me the keeper of the vineyards; but mine own vineyard have I not kept.

HMMMMM

In HIS service;
    Jim

11. mioque

mioque New Member

Those verses in Song of Songs talk about someone who has a dark skin because she works outside in the sun. The verse is not about race.
    On top of that.
    The first part of Song 1:5 can be translated in different ways.
    "I am black and comely" is just as valid as "I am black, but comely".
    Such are the vagaries of Hebrew grammar.

12. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

{Leans over and whispers to Jim}
    What's your point? [​IMG]

13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

{Roger leans over to hear Jim's answer}

14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cant. 1:5 Black is beautiful.

[​IMG]

Forgive me. I couldn't resist!

15. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Seems that the Bible is pretty silent on the issue, but I do know that is some areas people are offened by the idea of interacial marriage. If that is the case it is probably better for a beleiver to avoid such a union for the sake of his weaker brother.

But for most it dosen't seem to be a problem, so let them marry.

16. mioque

mioque New Member

Not getting married to avoid offending some Christian bigots, that won't go over well with most couples.

17. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Truly, mioque! It is the bigotted brother that is sinning already, not the couple...the godly union of an inter-racial couple only exposes the sin already in the heart of the prejudiced.

18. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

You miss the point. First of all, as I said most Christians do not have a problem with interracial marriage, but if a couple lives in a community where there are, they must either leave and marry, or refrain to avoid being a stumbling block to their weaker breathren.

19. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I think this takes the idea of avoiding a stumbling block too far. If a godly couple love each other and the Lord they should not change their place of service because of a bunch of bigots. It is the bigot's hearts that need serious examination.