1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Interracial Marriage

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rubato 1, Dec 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. standingfirminChrist

Why do you think God told the Jews not to marry outside of their nation? He did not command it just for people to shrug off like He did not mean it.

Joshua 23:12-13 Else if ye do in any wise go back, and cleave unto the remnant of these nations, even these that remain among you, and shall make marriages with them, and go in unto them, and they to you: Know for a certainty that the LORD your God will no more drive out any of these nations from before you; but they shall be snares and traps unto you, and scourges in your sides, and thorns in your eyes, until ye perish from off this good land which the LORD your God hath given you.

A clear command not to marry outside the race. For when one does, the Word declares they will be a snare and trap to you and scourges in your sides.

#21 standingfirminChrist, Dec 10, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Baloney.

The Bible tells us that in Christ there is NO Jew, or Gentile, or Martian for that matter. We are also commanded to love our neighbor as ourself. Clear cut, pure and simple, thats the way it is.

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

This makes sense. :thumbs:

4. standingfirminChrist

The Bible also tells us there is no male nor female. But I bet you are one or the other, aren't you?

5. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Wasn't Moses married to an Ethiopian?

love,

Sopranette

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

What does that have to do with interracial marriage, or treating other races as human beings?

I grew up in your wonderful state, in Gulfport, through no choice of my own. There was a law that prohibited interracial marriage. There were, until I was in the 9th grade, seperate schools. There was, until I was in the 8th grade, seperate bathrooms. Restaurants could refuse to serve people of a certain race.

Once on a bus, when I was quite young, the African-Americans had to sit behind a white line, and all the seats behind the line were taken. There were plenty of seats in the front, as I was the only white on the bus. There was an older woman with a cane, standing, with empty seats.

That taught me about the hell driven society that was being run down there quite early. Every vestage of that system needs to be crushed never to return. It is beyond belief some 40 years later we are even having this discussion.

7. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. Someone is always going to have a problem what what we do. Why should we let ungodly attitudes and prejudices set our agenda?

Amen!

And if you love them, you'll support them if the person they are marrying is a godly man.

As a person who was shunned by all of my paternal aunts, uncles and cousins as being a "mixed person" (my mother is of Austrian ethnicity, born in the former Yugoslavia) and my father was American "white person," I know firsthand how unpleasant and unfair that is. (The irony of the matter is that my mother, brother and I are whiter in appearance than all of them!)

My sister-in-law (white) married an African-American man, so I have three "mixed" nephews that I love very much. I am proud to have them as part of our family.

Now I grew up in a part of the country where the KKK was still active and I even went to public school with children who were junior members of the Klan. One of my earliest memories was witnessing a cross burning at a rally taking place in a field across the highway from our home. My father took me (age 3) and my brother (age 6) outside to see it so we would remember how stupid and anti-Christ that organization is. As Christians we are called to dismiss racial segregation and consider everyone as potential or actual brothers and sisters in Christ. And if they are in Christ with us, then there is no scriptural or Christian reason to discourage those relationships if they are godly and nurturing.

8. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

I see you are fairly new here, Rubato, but I have to ask...doesn't anything in your OP sound "off", even to you? You would have had to have known this would be a hot topic. Really...I'm curious.

love,

Sopranette

9. standingfirminChrist

But we cannot dismiss Scripture that clearly teaches against marrying outside of race.

Sure Moses married an Ethiopian, And sure Miriam got leprosy for murmuring against it. But the command to not marry outside of race was after Moses died.

And there is no indication that God ever reprimanded Joshua for commanding 'no marriages outside of race'. Nor is there a lifting of that decree at all in the Word of God.

Interracial marriages are not of God.

10. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

What "race" are you SFIC? What "race" is your wife? Did either of you marry outside your "race"? I'll be willing to bet you have a little of my "race" in you. I'm native American. I can't wait till I see how you squirm out of this. :laugh: You better do a little study on your family tree..... because I doubt you are truly a "white" person.

11. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Probably the best thing said so far around here...:D

12. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

If you are an example of this........ you might just have a point!

13. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here is a biblical prohibition of interracial sex.

Also you shall not have intercourse with any animal to be defiled with it, nor shall any woman stand before an animal to mate with it; it is a perversion. Lev 18:23 NASB

It is pretty clear that the bible is opposed to sex between the human race and "animal races". I don't think God felt the need to clarify that interracial marriage is also prohibited. ;)

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

deleted due to misunderstanding the comment

#34 saturneptune, Dec 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2007
  15. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Just who did Rahab marry?

Ruth? A Moabitess?

Our Lord's lineage has both of these non-Jewish people in it.

I respectfully disagree with you, SFIC.

16. dan e.

dan e. New Member

My thoughts exactly.

17. rbell

rbell Active Member

Come on, now...

You can do better than that.

First, God was telling Jews--a Semitic people--not to marry other nations--of Semitic origins. So it's less "interracial" than your black/white problem.

Second, (and more importantly) this was a Spiritual issue, not a racial one. The Jews were to not marry with those who had rejected God. This is still important for us today.

But if you make this racial, you are torturing Scripture with regards to interpretation. Be better than that.

18. standingfirminChrist

And yet, there is no lifting of the command to marry within race. only assumptions that God will not punish.

19. rbell

rbell Active Member

Oh, please...

20. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rubato, if you'll do a search on this topic, you will see we recently had a hot discussion about it. If I remember correctly, some of the posters involved in that conversation were eventually banned from BB. Why don't you read that thread and then post if you have any questions not addressed there. It would prevent more angry words/hard feelings from being spewed all over again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.