1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Interracial relationships

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Preacher Nathan Knight, Apr 24, 2003.

1. ChurchBoy

ChurchBoy New Member

Did it ever occur to you that what you were "taught to believe" is WRONG? I saw this same excuse used by Archie Binker on an "All In The Family" episode. He was having a conversation with Mike, his son-in-law. Mike asked him where did he get his prejudiced views. Archie told him his father told him the "truth" about the "colored" people and Archie just accepted it. Mike told Archie that his father also was prejudiced also but as he got older he realized that his father was wrong. But Archie just could not fathom that his father could be wrong.

I am not going to argue here. It is quite clear that whatever anyone says some people just want to believe what they want to believe. That sounds like pride to me. No one is trying to force their opinions on others. The Bible however says that we are to rebuke fellow christians when necessary.

I can just imagine when I get to heaven. I am being guided around,.."and that is the white section of heaven, and that is the asian section..."

Several people have stated that they believe it is wrong to "mix", whatever that means. I just want to know WHY it is wrong. Can someone give me a sound and logical reason. "I believe" is not a sound or logical arguement.

2. time like this

time like this New Member

In response to the comments posted about the Tower of Babel and God forbidding the Hebrews to marry from outside their own.

The builder of the Tower of Babel was Nimrod, scipture says he was a "mighty hunter before God" meaning that he conquered people and made them slaves to his system in defiance to God. It is stated that he said " let us make a name for our selves. They the people at the Tower of Babel saught out their own righteousness and not that of God, so he confused their languages. All of these people where in a land where the the skin tone was red/brown. They where separeated one from another because of the harm of self pride they would exalt above God.

The issue of not marrying outside the Hebrew race, had everything to do with worshiping false Gods. Nothing to do with the way a people looked but how they believed. This is how Ruth a Moabite was able to be counted in the lineage of Jesus the Christ. She told Naomi that " her God would now be hers and Naomi's people her people" her beleive changed and it was accepted.

And for tyhe record eveybody claiming that they are from the people from the tower of babel that would make you all descendants of mimrod and his people who was the grandson of Ham that was black ;)

Exercise your choice to marry or date whom you want but don't say God has told you thru the sciptures not to marry a person by the way the look.

Broarm you should know this with all the degrees you hold.But some things can only be discerned thru the spirit of God

peace to you all

3. mozier

mozier New Member

My wife is Asian, and I am a White. We have been very happily married for over 12 years.

I have always been deeply attracted to Asian women, and so when I decided to find a wife, I knew whom I was going to marry. I also knew that I was going to be marrying a woman from a completely different background, with customs, language, and ways that would confound what I was used to. But I adapted to her, and so did she to me.

There is absolutely nothing unbiblical about marrying a spouse of another "race." One just has to adapt to what the other does and share yourself completely with them so they can adapt to you, as well. True, there are obstacles that people of the same background do not face, but love is able to handle these.

mozier

4. ChurchBoy

ChurchBoy New Member

AMEN BROTHER!!!

5. Willow 2

Willow 2 New Member

No i am just like you, I have been taught to believe the way i do as same as you have. My belief's have been backed up by people & the way people treat other's in mix marriages, I would not want my children to suffer the way i have seen other's suffer.

And i did give my reason, "Why did the lord make a Male & Female in all Color's", I feel there was a reason for that.

Cause i feel if we were all made to be together, why is there all diffrent color's in Male & Female, If we were all made to be together, I believe we would have all been the same skin color, If we were meant to be together, But we where not. So that tell's me there was a reason for that.

I feel we were paired up in color as well as in Male & Female.....Thats my belief, Just like you have your's.

6. Bartholomew

Bartholomew New Member

Sure - because it goes against God's purposes at Babel. [​IMG]

7. Bartholomew

Bartholomew New Member

I agree (excpet that we cannot know what colour they were - nor is it important). But why does it matter that the people at Babel were evil? I don't have any pride in knowing that my ancesters wanted to build that tower, any more than than I have pride in knowing my oldest ancesters eat the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. But God judged the nations at Babel and scattered them - presumably so they couldn't do it again! It is wrong to undo this.
    If this is so, why did Laban (Jacob's father-in-law) have images of idols, which Rachael stole? It doesn't seem to me that they were particularly Godly people - and yet Abraham and Isaac wanted thier children to marry others of the same (Mesopotanian) people.
    Not everyone at Babel was descended from Babel [edit - sorry, I meant "Nimrod"]; and we do not know what colour Ham was anyway.
    What if I said, "but don't say God has told you thru the scriputres not to marry more than one woman"? It's true - he didn't (directly). But the principle is there. Equally, the principle against international marriage is there. You can't justify international marriage just because the Bible doesn't forbid it, and at the same time condemn polygomy.

Your friend and brother,

Bartholomew

[ May 02, 2003, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: Bartholomew ]

8. time like this

Bart
    No further comments for you along this line. I agree to disagree with your view of the scriptures. You are a very good "scripture smith" when it comes to this issue. I do have a questions for you. If you found out that according to scripture your veiws are wrong would you change or hold on?

9. hsmom3

hsmom3 New Member

I was brought up here in the deep south where interracial marriage of black and white folks was considered just terrible, but no one said anything at all about whites and other races (Indian, Asian, etc). I don't understand the difference in that at all. I'd much rather my daughters marry men that were godly, no matter what the race, than marry an ivory snow white dude that wasn't. [​IMG] I don't feel it is sin at all.

Bartholomew, I really appreciate what you've said here and the spirit in which you've given it. You've given me something to think about and consider. [​IMG]

hsmom3

10. BROARMSTRONG

BROARMSTRONG New Member

well Johnathan i got the degrees sometime in the last 20 years ...and they weren't from a diploma mill...i actually had to study to get mine...did i study at the right places? depends on what you believe, as to where you will go for higher learning...just like church...you will normally...but not always go to a church or denomination that teaches and preaches what you have been taught to believe from your youth...whether it's right or wrong...i don't claim any difference...i believe what i believe, i make no apologies for what i believe, nor do i plan on changing my beliefs as long as i feel i am led of the Lord...just as everyone else does...it's easy for anyone of us to use the LORD FOR A SCAPE GOAT...its easy to validate what we believe as long as we can say the Lord showed me, or told me or led me to say,think, or do. I claim no difference...i am satisfied with what i believe, if i feel the LORD leads me to believe differently...so be it. "Lord Bless"

11. time like this

Bart
    Do you interpet God's intention at the tower of Babel to forbid people to marry or not to mix? Have you read that text lately or are you going on some doctrine that you heard? The reason for scattering the langauges was so that the people would not be able to work together and continue in exalting themselves above God. If you hold the veiw you do ok but it cannot be asttached to this event in the scriptures. Point on the day of Pentecost he allowed people to speak in other langauges ending the confusion at the tower of Babel. You see this is the fulness of time for both the Jew and the gentile which we are. Any teaching that seperates people on physical characterristic is a doctrine of division and Christ can not be divided. Marry whom you choose because that is your choice, but please don't co-mingle spiritual things with the flesh these are contray one to the other.
    ;)

12. BROARMSTRONG

BROARMSTRONG New Member

I would like a response to this question if i may...and i hope it's not just an answer where the knife is stuck in and then twisted...If i'm not mistaken Daniel David was giving me a reference of science that people acquired certain characteristics according to where they lived that was passed on to their children till they completed some sort of body change ( for lack of a better term) example:Africans being black because of the climate in their country caused bodily color change, hair type, etc. Asians with slanted eyes and short in physical height, etc. and all this supposedly happened after several generations of people...my question is, if that is so...when did it start & when did it stop? there has been several different types of people here in the USA for a long time... the Red man was here before the so-called White man, the Black man has been here for a long time from Africa, well I haven't turned red from my family lineage, and I haven't seen any black man turning red or white from living in America and adapting to the climatic changes that are supposed to happen by living in a certain area of earth. I do see color changes because of how people marry, but thats the only change i've seen.Now I have a problem...if that theory isn't correct...where did the different skin color come from? GOD maybe?
    then if GOD did it...why should I try to change it? and while I have it on my mind...there has been a couple of negative comments concerning my education, I believe the correct term would be (slurs)I hope you could at least give me the benefit of the doubt that ...whether wrong or right in my learning...I at least have made the attempt to better myself for the Lords work through the many years of Bible schools/college/seminary...or whatever...I did it for Gods glory and not my own...whether you agree with me or not, God knows my heart. Thank you for allowing me this small amount of your time.

13. LauraB

LauraB New Member

WILLOW2,

AMEN

14. wizofoz

wizofoz New Member

ALBANY, Ga., May 1 — A year after holding their first integrated prom, some students at Taylor County High School have decided to again hold a separate, private party for whites only.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/908072.asp?cp1=1

15. time like this

Broarm
    would it be ok for a Frenchman to marry an Irish woman? This is international. Do you also beleive we should seperate ourselves in Church also? I understand your personal choice. I am still compelled to beleive that we are not to be un equaly yoked is refering to our salvation thru Christ Jesus and not how we look. Do you teach these things from the pulpit? Did you learn them in school? You have stated that you are a very studied person, the list you gave shows a commitment to know. Is it possible that you could be wrong on this given point of iy being a sin to marry people from different places?

16. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

I wonder why most of the people here post on this board. Why don't they post on iwon.com or some other ungodly board? There is never any absolutes on here. Gods Word is CLEAR! A good example is this issue. I think, you think, we think........... What does the Word of God say? God has always made a distinction. In the book of the Revelation of John God speaks of "Nations" a few times....meaning race.

17. JonathanDT

JonathanDT New Member

Well, yeah, the changes come from God, but not directly. Those changes started probably with Adam and Eve's children, and will continue until the end of the earth. God programmed into his creation this wonderful ability to adapt to our suroundings, we usually call it "microevolution." But in order for the changes to really take hold and matter there has to be certain criteria, among them being a limited gene pool. So while changes/mutations to our genetic coding (which controls our skin pigment) still happen, they're (generally) incosequential and thus (generally) unnoticable.

With all those degrees, you should know the difference between "John" and "Jonathan." [​IMG] BTW, I'm also interested, at what school did you earn your degrees?

I'm reading through all of these threads, and the ignorance of some is astounding. Stuff like "it's what I believe," "It's what I was taught." You can't give any reason why, and your ok with that? Huh?? You don't care whether it's true or not, it's what you've been taught? That just amazes me.

18. JonathanDT

JonathanDT New Member

BTW, I should note that changes in your genetic code happen from one generation to the next, it's not like someone can be born black and then be turned white during his life...Michael Jackson excluded.

[Edit: Typo]

[ May 02, 2003, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: JonathanDT ]

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The English radio talk show host??

20. Bartholomew

Bartholomew New Member

Hi Time Like This,

To answer your first point: yes, if scripture showed me I was wrong, I really hope I changed my mind. I only came to this opinion about a year ago, so it's not like it's been entrenched in my mind.
    Well, I think that from Babel onwards, God's plan was to have seperate nations, which were divided. It is for this reason that I oppose such things as the UN, EU, and anything else which undermines this division. My point about international marriage is just that if everyone did it, the nation states would crumble away. This is simply because nations are collections of similarly-realted people: if everyone marryied foreigners, I'd be no more related to the people in England as I would to the people in China. Therefore no real "nations" would exist. There is a similar inherent problem in allowing mass immigration, though that is another subject. If and when man unites the nations, the world will not be a happy sight.
    Well, firstly, the apostles were all taking to Jews that day. Secondly, the gift didn't last and become universal - the nations were still divided, and God did not (as far as I know) call for an end of that division. Also, if my memeory serves me correctly, there will even be different nations in the New Heaven and Earth.
    But this doesn't divide Christ any more than Christians having different nationalities divides Christ. God's order for the world is nations; and I don't personally think we should undermine that. But then, I freely admit that a ban on international marrige is not directly stated in the New Testament, so I might be wrong. [​IMG]

Thanks for your response,

Your friend and brother,

Bartholomew